Transit Drive In may show evening Bills games for free

HOUSE

5e7719513c70d.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C67

When the 2020 football season begins this fall, Buffalo has four night games scheduled which could potentially be shown on the giant outdoor screens at the drive-in, in a social distancing friendly environment, if we were granted permission by the league.

October 15: Kansas City at Buffalo, 8:20 PM
December 7: Buffalo at San Francisco, 8:15 PM
December 13: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 8:20 PM
December 28: Buffalo at New England, 8:15 PM

We would also be able to show the Buffalo at Denver game on December 20, if the start time, which is currently TBD, were to be designated at 4:00 PM or later. If the demand is there, we could even show multiple games from out-of-town teams on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday nights, if granted permission by the league.
We will be happy to make professional football games available to fans for free at the drive-in, for those who are not able to attend games in person due to the anticipated limitations in gameday stadium seating. Additionally, it is difficult to predict what restrictions will still be in place for sports bars when football season resumes. The drive-in could provide a vibrant fan experience for live football games, in a safe, social distancing friendly environment, if we are legally allowed to do so.

https://wyrk.com/transit-drive-in-co...GVXAbl164nQCFQ
Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Watched the Bills vs. Broncos there in Manning's final season.  It was the game Orton made it very clear he was just here for the money by sliding a half yard short of the 1st down marker on 3rd and 1. 

The atmosphere was pretty cool at the outset of the game, tailgating was a lot like the Stadium.  However, it got cold quick so my buddy and I went to the bar across the street to watch the rest of the game.

Why don't NFL teams just do this in the parking lots  of home stadiums and charge a small entry fee? 

They could even sell concessions and have carhops deliver them to vehicles. People could order and pay using an app. 

When the home team scores everyone could honk horns and yell out the windows to celebrate. I'm sure people would be creative. 

Everyone stays in their vehicles, so it's socially distanced. 

Even better, sell "drive in tickets" and "stadium tickets." Stadium tickets normal price, parking lot tickets vastly reduced price. 

Stadium can have 20% of capacity spread out. Plus the parking lot tickets of say 5,000 or so cars (each with multiple people probably) and you're already in the neighborhood of a crowd for a Chargers game anyway!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

assuming some legality would prevent this without permission from the NFL

I doubt it. They could A) Use an over-the-air antenna or pay for cable for the local channel, or B) use Sunday Ticket streaming and pay for it. 

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Why don't NFL teams just do this in the parking lots  of home stadiums and charge a small entry fee? 

They could even sell concessions and have carhops deliver them to vehicles. People could order and pay using an app. 

When the home team scores everyone could honk horns and yell out the windows to celebrate. I'm sure people would be creative. 

Thats actually a really interesting idea.

37 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Even better, sell "drive in tickets" and "stadium tickets." Stadium tickets normal price, parking lot tickets vastly reduced price. 

Stadium can have 20% of capacity spread out. Plus the parking lot tickets of say 5,000 or so cars (each with multiple people probably) and you're already in the neighborhood of a crowd for a Chargers game anyway!

how comfortable would it be to sit in your car for 4 hours and watch a game through your windshield? 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the cowboys do something like that. Never been in Dallas during football season but my friend that lives down there said sometimes they broadcast games on large screens on the side of the stadium. He said people go to the wal mart parking lot across the street and watch the game from there.

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

how comfortable would it be to sit in your car for 4 hours and watch a game through your windshield? 

I suspect liability is a concern as well. Some drunkard with Covid-19 walks around and infects people...who’s getting sued? You guessed it, the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I doubt it. They could A) Use an over-the-air antenna or pay for cable for the local channel, or B) use Sunday Ticket streaming and pay for it. 

You know that little tidbit they put in every broadcast about re-broadcasting being expressly prohibited without written consent from the NFL? This is what that's about.  This would be re-broadcasting.  Even if you let people in for free.  They need permission from the league to do it and that sort of permission isn't free.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect liability is a concern as well. Some drunkard with Covid-19 walks around and infects people...who’s getting sued? You guessed it, the Bills. 

just not sure why someone would go to a drive-in in December to watch a game from your car instead of home?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You know that little tidbit they put in every broadcast about re-broadcasting being expressly prohibited without written consent from the NFL? This is what that's about.  This would be re-broadcasting.  Even if you let people in for free.  They need permission from the league to do it and that sort of permission isn't free.

The NFL would love for something like this to happen if there are no fans allowed in the stands.  The PR would be great for them and the sport.  They are greedy, not stupid.  

• Like (+1) 1

If they had a drive in option at home stadiums they could put giant video boards in the stadium to show the crows inside and pump in the noise as well. It could be a cool thing to add to the TV broadcasts as well. That way there is a reaction when there is a big play or a score. 

I might actually be more inclined to sit in my truck just for the experience of what something like that would be like. I think people would do it as a way to support their teams!

Another idea: let fans buy a "virtual ticket"

You get some sort of unique team gear AND have a way to send a live feed of yourself celebrating from the living room of your house. These could be broadcast in the stadium in a collage format (like a gigantic Zoom meeting). 

A little bit like the fans behind Goddell during the draft, but better and bigger. People could get really into it, dressing up, doing creative things, knowing they would be shown on TV when the Bills score or make a big play. 

There are ways to play the games without fans in the stadium that could still involve the fans and add some life to the stadium experience! I think if it is done well it could come across really well on the TV product, as well. 

Maybe the only game with fans actually in attendance all year is the Super Bowl. Imagine the emotion of that production in that case, especially when America's Team (the Bills!) win it all for the first time!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

just not sure why someone would go to a drive-in in December to watch a game from your car instead of home?

I agree!!! The entire idea is interesting on the surface but really makes no sense.