A Very bad day at the airport ...

Runway Incident.  Fact or Fiction?  

29e1897e53574df56296c296db054b63

Damage is seen to left engine of Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 that hit and killed a person on the runway as it landed at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on night of May 7, 2020. CBS News

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jetliner-hits-kills-person-lands-065353674.html

Jetliner hits and kills person as it lands at Austin airport

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Surprised they didnt get sucked into the engine.

Pro Tip, folks: Don't run out onto airport runways.

Are you SURE? That’s how I’ve been spending my days off during this quarantine stuff. I figured I was socially distant, as the runways had FAR fewer people than the beaches and parks. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Or the person was pretty thick and heavy...

“Big boned” is the phrase we prefer. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That seems like a crazy amount of damage for hitting a person, but I guess depending on the strength of that metal and the 'force x mass' equation it's possible.

exactly my point

Maybe its the reflections but it coves a lot of space.

How tall would this person have to be?  that has to be how many feet off the ground?

18 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Lol

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That seems like a crazy amount of damage for hitting a person, but I guess depending on the strength of that metal and the 'force x mass' equation it's possible.

I mean planes have to fly so it's probably a fairly lightweight material.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean planes have to fly so it's probably a fairly lightweight material.

Yes - it's a very thin aluminum alloy. Airplanes aren't designed to survive collisions - if they were, they'd never get off the ground.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Are you SURE? That’s how I’ve been spending my days off during this quarantine stuff. I figured I was socially distant, as the runways had FAR fewer people than the beaches and parks. 

“Big boned” is the phrase we prefer. 

I’ve finally had to start shopping in the “husky” section.

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

“Jane, you ignorant slut...”

26 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Yes - it's a very thin aluminum alloy. Airplanes aren't designed to survive collisions - if they were, they'd never get off the ground.

I always worried about those signs on the wings....don't friggen step here...or only step here...now I know. A couple of geese bring down a plane...they need moose guards like trains

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

A friend of mine built a 2 seater in his backyard (Murphy Rebel?) and before the engine, seats, etc went in I could lift it with one hand*.  I was amazed at how light it was.

*Might have been 2 hands... but I could lift it pretty easy

Edited by driddles

9 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I always worried about those signs on the wings....don't friggen step here...or only step here...now I know. A couple of geese bring down a plane...they need moose guards like trains

That would be nice, but trains struggle to reach 32,000 feet. :) 

Seriously, I’d love to take a nice train ride through some beautiful area like the Rockies or Alaska, but the wife has this motion sickness thing. Bummer....

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

Seriously, I’d love to take a nice train ride through some beautiful area like the Rockies or Alaska, but the wife has this motion sickness thing. Bummer....

My wife and I took the train from Chicago to Seattle and back a couple of months ago. It was a cool experience, although I'm not sure I'd do it again. If you go, splurge on the full room, not the roomette, and certainly not coach for a trip that long.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

My wife and I took the train from Chicago to Seattle and back a couple of months ago. It was a cool experience, although I'm not sure I'd do it again. If you go, splurge on the full room, not the roomette, and certainly not coach for a trip that long.

My sister and her family travel the world regularly, in their way. We have never traveled as much (for various reasons), but when we do, we travel OUR way. That may mean less quantity and more quality, but I can live with that. 

We did a Barcelona to Lisbon Cruise last fall on a Windstar ship. Have Italy to Barcelona set up for next year (same ship).  I was afraid her motion sickness would wreck the cruise last year, but the wrist band and meds  made it doable. I’m afraid the train will have to be a solo trip on my part, that might be too much for her. Windy roads or the back seat of a car may end badly.  :sick:

We took our young son deep sea fishing for his birthday when he was like 8. We went 4o miles off shore, caught more grouper than was fair to grouper at multiple fishing holes, 4o miles back, and she puked into a bucket the entire time. A ride to church can lead to struggles, it’s pretty bad. 

I’d still love the train trip!  

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

The damage on that 737 engine would not have caused any serious problem. 

I flew airplanes for 40 some years, from little Cessnas to flying fighters at very low altitude and very high speed, (bird region), to 777's all over the world and have had three bird strikes, none of which cause any problems.

The Sullenberger thing was a complete fluke.

In my 32 year airline career, my company, about 185,000 flights per year, had one serious bird strike which took out the left windscreen. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

How tall would this person have to be?  that has to be how many feet off the ground?

737 engines are deceptively close to the ground, per this image from Business Insider Australia.

Click below for a larger image and try to ignore the ****ing idiot posing for a photo inside the engine.

5790e9ec88e4a7531b8b99bb

Edited by Golden Goat

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

The damage on that 737 engine would not have caused any serious problem. 

I flew airplanes for 40 some years, from little Cessnas to flying fighters at very low altitude and very high speed, (bird region), to 777's all over the world and have had three bird strikes, none of which cause any problems.

The Sullenberger thing was a complete fluke.

In my 32 year airline career, my company, about 185,000 flights per year, had one serious bird strike which took out the left windscreen. 

12 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yes - it's a very thin aluminum alloy. Airplanes aren't designed to survive collisions - if they were, they'd never get off the ground. I hope the FAA has studied this. ?

Well if moose ever learn how to fly the plane engineers better find a way of having a moose guard.