Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy on Jake Fromm

13 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

Every time I’ve seen this guy he looks like he’s throwing with all arm. No real torque or rotation in his lower half to generate velocity 

not a qb guru at all but something doesn’t look right when he throws. 

Interesting analysis of his actual throwing motion; we get so little of this. Remember Fitz winding up and finishing all sideways like he was hurling a javelin?

I'll bet the more "quiet," arm-based, pure sporting-L motion helps with consistency/accuracy. Fewer moving parts. But, alas, with less leg drive and core torque, maybe it also robs velocity. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Not even close to what one would think the way you were talking. I see one sure fire HOFer, one most likely HOFer and most of the rest did little to nothing or next to nothing in the NFL. After the 2 Mannings more than half the list never threw a pass in an NFL regular season game and another one who threw exactly 8 passes in his career.

I would like to hear this also. Why would one think Josh would regressed when A.) He has more weapons than last year including a #1 WR now. B.) Josh improved in nearly every statistical category from year 1 to year 2.

Because his improvement in some areas, doesn't outweigh the in depth statiscs in other areas.  Plus he's going to be facing much better teams this season.

In case you are forgetting, Allen was one of the worst passers in the NFL last year.  He was ranked 27th in the league in completions over 10 yards.  He was worst in the league in completions from a clean pocket. He was one of the worst in the league in ball placement. 

Now im not making this stuff up.  These are in depth metrics from Sports Info Solutions, which is one of the best pro sports analytical groups out there. 

Yes Allen improved, but he was absolutely horrific in the key metrics franchise Qbs statistcally excel at. 

Does this mean he can't improve?  No.   It means that at this juncture in his career, and knowing his college history, (not really impressive) it is highly unlikely he turns into a franchise Qb. 

I posted a great article in another thread that went more in depth into the metrics. 

I hoped Allen would succeed and end this Qb drought.  But I'd be willing to bet anything Allen will look terrible this year.  By terrible I mean, more of the same.  Wild throws, missing wide open recievers, glued to his first to second reads, terrible foot work and drops, holding the ball too long, and bad ball placement on his receivers. 

I could be wrong and he could shock the world, but the data says we have a Mitch Trubisky on our hands. 

Enter Fromm.   A proven winning quarterback and three-year starter in the toughest division in college football. A quarterback who has thrown more passes against top defenses then any other quarterback in the draft....

"Here's the percentage of pass attempts by each top QB in the draft that came vs. top-50 defenses by SP+:"

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%
2. Tua Tagovailoa, 60.71%
3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%
4. Justin Herbert, 44.39%
5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%
6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

— Jim Sannes (@JimSannes) January 18, 2020

A kid who has beaten out every other quarterback he has gone up against.  A kid who is compared to offensive coordinators or to have a future in coaching, an all around very heady football IQ individual.  A kid who perfectly fits our West Coast type of offense and will pick it up and learn it immediately.  In all reality a 2nd to 3rd round draft pick that we stole in the fifth round and is a phenomenal prospect if Allen falters.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Because his improvement in some areas, doesn't outweigh the in depth statiscs in other areas.  Plus he's going to be facing much better teams this season.

In case you are forgetting, Allen was one of the worst passers in the NFL last year.  He was ranked 27th in the league in completions over 10 yards.  He was worst in the league in completions from a clean pocket. He was one of the worst in the league in ball placement. 

Now im not making this stuff up.  These are in depth metrics from Sports Info Solutions, which is one of the best pro sports analytical groups out there. 

Yes Allen improved, but he was absolutely horrific in the key metrics franchise Qbs statistcally excel at. 

Does this mean he can't improve?  No.   It means that at this juncture in his career, and knowing his college history, (not really impressive) it is highly unlikely he turns into a franchise Qb. 

I posted a great article in another thread that went more in depth into the metrics. 

I hoped Allen would succeed and end this Qb drought.  But I'd be willing to bet anything Allen will look terrible this year.  By terrible I mean, more of the same.  Wild throws, missing wide open recievers, glued to his first to second reads, terrible foot work and drops, holding the ball too long, and bad ball placement on his receivers. 

I could be wrong and he could shock the world, but the data says we have a Mitch Trubisky on our hands. 

Enter Fromm.   A proven winning quarterback and three-year starter in the toughest division in college football. A quarterback who has thrown more passes against top defenses then any other quarterback in the draft....

"Here's the percentage of pass attempts by each top QB in the draft that came vs. top-50 defenses by SP+:"

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%
3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%
5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%
6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

A kid who has beaten out every other quarterback he has gone up against.  A kid who is compared to offensive coordinators or to have a future in coaching, an all around very heady football IQ individual.  A kid who perfectly fits our West Coast type of offense and will pick it up and learn it immediately.  In all reality a 2nd to 3rd round draft pick that we stole in the fifth round and is a phenomenal prospect if Allen falters.

Why doesn’t Fromm just start then?  

18 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%
3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%
5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%
6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

I like your enthusiasm.

I lack your conviction. 

My son, his UGA fiancé who knows her football, and our UGA dinner guests tonight (with takeout from our favorite little Italian joint we are trying to keep alive), have far less conviction than you do. They watch every game, and attend most home games. 

I hope he can be a solid backup for a decade plus. I’m not sure he has the arm to be any more than that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Because Allen is our entrenched starter.  He is a first round pick we traded up for and are invested heavily in. 

The only way we will see Fromm is if he blows Barkley out of the water, moves to #2, and Allen gets hurt.   Other than that, I don't expect to see Fromm at all this year. 

When I would expect to see him is next year if, and I personally believe so, Allen fails to produce franchise type numbers which ultimately cost us games. 

Our schedule is not play time this year.   185 yard games with multiple fumbles and 58-59% completion rate is not going to cut it. 

They've given him everything....stability, personnel, coaching, now he has to go produce and show he's a franchise guy.  No way they pick up his 5th year option if he doesn't produce big time this year. 

Edited by TwistofFate

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%
3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%
5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%
6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

49 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Because Allen is our entrenched starter.  He is a first round pick we traded up for and are invested heavily in. 

The only way we will see Fromm is if he blows Barkley out of the water, moves to #2, and Allen gets hurt.   Other than that, I don't expect to see Fromm at all this year. 

When I would expect to see him is next year if, and I personally believe so, Allen fails to produce franchise type numbers which ultimately cost us games. 

Our schedule is not play time this year.   185 yard games with multiple fumbles and 58-59% completion rate is not going to cut it. 

They've given him everything....stability, personnel, coaching, now he has to go produce and show he's a franchise guy.  No way they pick up his 5th year option if he doesn't produce big time this year. 

Already got your Allen hate in mid season form, I see. While we all know you would love to see Fromm, or anyone for that matter, at QB for the Bills rather than Allen, it isn't going to happen. 

Wasn't it you who was telling us all before the Jets game last year how Barkley was going to show us all what a real QB looked like?

Now you are on to Fromm....

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Already got your Allen hate in mid season form, I see. While we all know you would love to see Fromm, or anyone for that matter, at QB for the Bills rather than Allen, it isn't going to happen. 

Wasn't it you who was telling us all before the Jets game last year how Barkley was going to show us all what a real QB looked like?

Now you are on to Fromm....

Zero hate.   Facts and data.  Get your facts straight.

Every piece of hard, in depth analytics on franchise Qbs says Allen is a bust. 

Im just happy that if that data is accurate we have another prospect waiting in the wings. 

Chicago wasted no time moving on from Trubisky.   They declined his 5th year, brought in a solid vet, and will have a competition this year.   I see a similar fate here next year with Allen and Fromm. 

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Im just happy that if that data is accurate we have another prospect waiting in the wings. 

Chicago wasted no time moving on from Trubisky.   They declined his 5th year, brought in a solid vet, and will have a competition this year.   I see a similar fate here next year with Allen and Fromm. 

Yeah, no hate at all....

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You keep saying that if you can do it against SEC DBs that it will translate to the pro game, yet the fact is most of the QBs who succeeded in college it doesn't translate. Even the ones that had the most success in the SEC all-time.

Here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career passing yards.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 13,166 2010-13
2. David Greene Georgia 11,528 2001-04
3. Chris Leak Florida 11,213 2003-06
4. Peyton Manning Tennessee 11,201 1994-97
5. Eric Zeier Georgia 11,153 1991-94
6. Danny Wuerffel Florida 10,875 1993-96
7. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 10,354 2000-03
8. Eli Manning Ole Miss 10,119 2000-03
9. Casey Clausen Tennessee 9,707 2000-03
10. Bo Wallace Ole Miss 9,534

2012-14

And here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career touchdown passes.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 121 2010-13
2. Danny Wuerffel Florida 114 1993-96
3. Peyton Manning Tennessee 89 1994-97
T4. Chris Leak Florida 88 2003-06
T4. Tim Tebow Florida 88 2006-09
6. Eli Manning Ole Miss 81 2000-03
7. Andre Woodson Kentucky 79 2004-07
8. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 78 2000-03
T9. Rex Grossman Florida 77 2000-02
T9. AJ McCarron Alabama 77 2010-13

As you can see the two lists above are riddled with QBs that did nothing or next to nothing in the pro game.

I guess the only upside to this list is if Newton played more than one year at Auburn, he would be up there but it’s a pretty awful list.   I think part of the issue is these guys play with blue chippers at every position, so when you go to the nfl, the talent even out.  Tua is going to have a worse receiving group in the nfl than he did in college.

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Fromm can be trade bait in a few years.

I think he’s more likely to get cut in a few years but I hope you’re right.  Hopefully he doesn’t have to play much and get overhyped like other backup QBs who then become starters who suck.  Call it the Kevin Kolb effect.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Get lost troll!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Because imo it doesn’t work that way. This year is Josh’s stepping stone year, he absolutely needs to get better across the full spectrum of QB metrics to be “the one” going forward.

Fromm is here as a potential BU this year, likely PS and a potential BU in year two.   This of course is supposition, but Beane ain’t no fool, and is far more ruthless than many think, he didn’t bring Fromm in for the hell of it.

I will say that Allen has two more years, this year and next year unopposed, then if he hasn’t worked out the QB competition will start the following preseason.

Beane already has plans in the works for the possibility of Josh not working out, it’s his job to do so.  There is  No “hate” here,  just guys chatting up potential outcomes. Some just have better and worse ways of expressing themselves. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of Brady in college in him.  He beats you with intelligence and average everything else.  Drew Henson was the golden boy in that era that never could take it away from Brady.  From took out 2 other higher rated, more athletic QBs for his job.  He has pretty good awareness, an accurate ball and average NFL arm strength.  If you look around, the all time greats we have watched, Brady, Breese, Manning, all pretty much innthe same mold, average arms, accurate, beat you with their head.   I am certainly not saying he will be anywhere near them, but I do think he can eventually start in the right system.   Last year he got happy feet and wasn't as good as the past because of it, if that sticks with him, hes done before he starts, but if he gets back to confidence in the pocket, you could have anything from a good backup to a Kirk Cousins level starter ( and in a highly unlikely scenario, something better).  This is the type of thing you can dream of in a 5th round pick.  If he flops, oh well.  At least it wasn't  high pick.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%
3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%
5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%
6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

How was Josh in 4th quarter passing, 4th quarter comebacks, air yards per completion, total TDs and things of that nature? You pick the stats you want to show, but fail to show the entire picture. He has strengths and weaknesses, just like every other 2nd year QB has had in the history of the NFL. I never said he excelled at everything, I simply said he improved upon his rookie year in almost every statistical category, which is what you're looking for from your 2nd year QB that was labeled a project QB with great physical talents to do. You're looking for improvement at warp speed, by leaps and bounds, yet nearly every QB ever takes these steps gradually, over time. From the day he was drafted he was always going to take longer to get there, but the upside was too good to pass on. You need to find some patience because he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Fromm is getting compared to OCs because chances are that's where he'll be in a few years, much like Kellen Moore. Having limited NFL QB arm talent and being compared to an NFL OC has always been a death sentence for QBs coming out of college. That's a fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I see a lot of Brady in college in him.  He beats you with intelligence and average everything else.  Drew Henson was the golden boy in that era that never could take it away from Brady.  From took out 2 other higher rated, more athletic QBs for his job.  He has pretty good awareness, an accurate ball and average NFL arm strength.  If you look around, the all time greats we have watched, Brady, Breese, Manning, all pretty much innthe same mold, average arms, accurate, beat you with their head.   I am certainly not saying he will be anywhere near them, but I do think he can eventually start in the right system.   Last year he got happy feet and wasn't as good as the past because of it, if that sticks with him, hes done before he starts, but if he gets back to confidence in the pocket, you could have anything from a good backup to a Kirk Cousins level starter ( and in a highly unlikely scenario, something better).  This is the type of thing you can dream of in a 5th round pick.  If he flops, oh well.  At least it wasn't  high pick.

He would need to play with a great coach and system that tailors to his game perfectly and playing in fair weather conditions would also help.

I don't think he's getting any of that in Buffalo

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. I guess regress is too strong a word. I don't expect he will. I mean progress. 

If there isnt any or very little progress in Allen I hope there is a decent contingency plan going into the 2021 season, and it isn't Jake Fromm....

No it would not be jake

but there is also no reason there would not be progress from Allen his ol is back intact he has been given more weapons and he is his 3rd year in the system 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. I guess regress is too strong a word. I don't expect he will. I mean progress. 

If there isnt any or very little progress in Allen I hope there is a decent contingency plan going into the 2021 season, and it isn't Jake Fromm....

Rest assured that Beane already has a plan in place for that contingency. It is after all his job to do so. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

He would need to play with a great coach and system that tailors to his game perfectly and playing in fair weather conditions would also help.

I don't think he's getting any of that in Buffalo

I agree on the system fit, but i don't buy the elements excuse.  

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

How was Josh in 4th quarter passing, 4th quarter comebacks, air yards per completion, total TDs and things of that nature? You pick the stats you want to show, but fail to show the entire picture. He has strengths and weaknesses, just like every other 2nd year QB has had in the history of the NFL. I never said he excelled at everything, I simply said he improved upon his rookie year in almost every statistical category, which is what you're looking for from your 2nd year QB that was labeled a project QB with great physical talents to do. You're looking for improvement at warp speed, by leaps and bounds, yet nearly every QB ever takes these steps gradually, over time. From the day he was drafted he was always going to take longer to get there, but the upside was too good to pass on. You need to find some patience because he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Fromm is getting compared to OCs because chances are that's where he'll be in a few years, much like Kellen Moore. Having limited NFL QB arm talent and being compared to an NFL OC has always been a death sentence for QBs coming out of college. That's a fact.

I pick the metrics that franchise Qbs excel at. 

4 quarter comebacks?   Who cares?   You know who else led the league in game winning for the season?   Blake Bortles (2015) Geno Smith(2013) and Mariota (2017).   So what is that stat telling you? Nothing. 

Allen ranks dead last in Completion %.  He ranks 32nd in on-target throw percentage, per Sports Info Solutions.  His passing break down is below in the chart.  He literally falls off a cliff at about 23 yards.  And that just wasn't this year, it was his rookie year as well. 

"Allen’s advanced metrics do not paint an encouraging picture. He ranks 24th in QBR and has a negative Expected Points Added total. And he’s 25th in net-yards-per-attempt due to all of those sacks he takes."

"Even Allen’s improvement in the turnover department appears to be flukey. Yes, Allen has turned the ball over only four times (two interceptions and two fumbles lost) in the last 10 weeks, but only two players in the entire NFL have fumbled more often over that time — Buffalo has just recovered seven of his nine fumbles. And, according to Sports Info Solutions, defenders have dropped five would-be interceptions thrown by Allen since Week 10 alone."

His clean pocket stats, which carry the most predictive power of any statistical split, are not very good. He ranks in the bottom-third in the league in every major metric from a clean pocket, including EPA, yards-per-attempt and accuracy percentage. 

https://twitter.com/QBKlass/status/1208781915790004225/photo/1

There isn’t a quarterback from the right side of that list that turned out to be any good, except for maybe Ryan Tannehill, who is having a breakout season in Tennessee … at age 30. And even if you just use Allen’s 2019 ANY/A (5.75) as the cutoff, the only quarterback of note you’re adding to the “bad” side is Andy Dalton.

The bottom line is the most important analytics of a franchise Qb are absent from Allen. 

So I wont hold my breath waiting for him to be franchise guy, and if he fails, I'm simply happy to see McBeane has a contingency plan in the works with a steal in the fifth round.

Everyone says Fromm could be successful in the right system....Newsflash, this is the right system.   He's tailor made to run our style of offense. 

download-4.png

• Sad 1