Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy on Jake Fromm

But maybe he knew he was in a dome, and would have thrown it with a flatter trajectory at The Ralph.  I am all-in on give the kid a chance.  The poster with the Maddux analogy is right.  Little to lose.  Does Brady have a stronger arm?  Not sure he ever did.  Is he faster?  Taller?   

4 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

Fromm has weak arm, blah, blah, blah...  Fromm was an exceptional college QB. To follow up on nervous guys post, look at this highlight reel of Brady from Michigan - all floaters, WR’s coming back to the ball.  Terrible.

Fromm is NOT the next Tom Brady, but to write him off before taking an NFL snap is idiocy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Anyone think they are over analyzing a 5th round pick here?  

I mean, if he makes the team and provides value, it’s a great pick at that spot.  If he doesn’t, nothing really lost.  

All reward, no risk pick essentially.  He was NOT drafted to challenge Allen.  He was drafted as the value was too good to pass on and he will be given a chance to push Barkley.  If he succeeds, he could also be flipped for a higher draft asset if he shows well in preseason or any chances he gets if he has to fill in for Allen.

This is Allen’s team without question. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

But maybe he knew he was in a dome, and would have thrown it with a flatter trajectory at The Ralph.  I am all-in on give the kid a chance.  The poster with the Maddux analogy is right.  Little to lose.  Does Brady have a stronger arm?  Not sure he ever did.  Is he faster?  Taller?   

I just see him as a similar version of Barkley where his arm just won't cut it in Buffalo. You can only play the screen game/dink and dunk for so long, and this Oline doesn't get outside the hashes well enough to do it successfully even with Allen so consider me highly skeptical. 

Getting drafted in Buffalo hurts him if he actually ends up having to play, I think. If he played for a dome team like NO or ATL, I think he'd have a better shot.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

just see him as a similar version of Barkley where his arm just won't cut it in Buffalo. You can only play the screen game/dink and dunk for so long, and this Oline doesn't get outside the hashes well enough to do it successfully even with Allen so consider me highly skeptical. 

Getting drafted in Buffalo hurts him if he actually ends up having to play, I think. If he played for a dome team like NO or ATL, I think he'd have a better shot.

This is not crazy at all, but give the kid a shot.  If he shows good NFL awareness they may trade him for a pick with a trade partner in a more Fromm-friendly City.  And we really don't know what he can or cannot do here.  He could be a great 10 year back-up if he would accept that (which I doubt).  Hell, he could be a starter.  We just don't know.

I’m been paying attention to Fromm for his whole career because I liked him on QB1.  I like his poise but he has been very meh to me and Georgia is one of the best situations in the nfl.  That racist baseball player in Georgia making Fields transfer is a killer for them.  

so unless we play Georgia Tech (Fromm had 10 tds and 0 ints against them!), I think we just drafted a younger version of Matt Barkley. 

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone think they are over analyzing a 5th round pick here?  

I mean, if he makes the team and provides value, it’s a great pick at that spot.  If he doesn’t, nothing really lost.  

All reward, no risk pick essentially.  He was NOT drafted to challenge Allen.  He was drafted as the value was too good to pass on and he will be given a chance to push Barkley.  If he succeeds, he could also be flipped for a higher draft asset if he shows well in preseason or any chances he gets if he has to fill in for Allen.

This is Allen’s team without question. 

Every qb pick will be over evaluate.  And I think with a guy like Fromm, he seems to have little upside.  That late, I’d rather have an Allen type prospect who is raw and has a higher ceiling.  

fromm isn’t who I would have picked but I always like drafting qb.  If Allen doesn’t progress or Fromm isn’t good enough, I hope they draft another guy next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bockeye said:

Fromm has weak arm, blah, blah, blah...  Fromm was an exceptional college QB. To follow up on nervous guys post, look at this highlight reel of Brady from Michigan - all floaters, WR’s coming back to the ball.  Terrible.

Fromm is NOT the next Tom Brady, but to write him off before taking an NFL snap is idiocy. 

Brady's footwork, release and---above all, his recognition--all look the same in that video as what we've seen for the past 19 years.    And they're well ahead of Fromm's college tape, IMO.   

Not going to lose sleep or get overly excited by the pick.    Until he gets on the field, this is just another TSW "Tastes Great, Less Filling" multi-page extravaganza destined for the junk heap of time...  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

A good throw but that's not what I think of when I think of a 10-12 yard out. I'm thinking more of what happens in the following video at 1:02 and 2:50:

I'd like to sit down with McDermott and ask him how difficult it was to send Kelvin Benjamin onto the field every week. Wow, I forgot how bad he was.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Even the Fromm throw in that video from the Florida game..... I'm not sure that gets there in an NFL game. An NFL DB has the speed and recognition to break on that ball and at the very least force an incompletion IMO. He is better than Nathan Peterman, it is hard to be that bad. But he isn't close to a Josh Allen.

You realize he's played against NFL caliber Dbs his whole career, right? 

Its silly to say it doesn't get there in the NFL. 

Qbs that throw with anticipation and have a decent arm will succeed, period. 

7 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

There are some good DBs in the SEC, no doubt. I don't think that is a completion in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Don't rewind to :28, yeeeesh

Haha yikes, I just saw that. I don't know what that was. 

17 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Fromm this past season and fromm 2 years ago are completely different players.

Not sure what exactly happened. Maybe it was surrounding talent maybe it was a scheme change. 

That's a concern to me as well. It didn't feel like he got better as his college career went along. Although I really only saw him in "big" games so I wouldn't know the entire scope of what his seasons looked like. 

I've come around more to the pick though. I did want us to draft a QB, I am not in the camp of fully trusting Matt Barkley off of one good game he had against a bad team when the rest of his career he hasn't even shown to be a reliable backup, I definitely wanted some competition for the backup role and even possibly a potential contingency plan for Allen in case he doesn't take the leap in year 3. I personally don't think Fromm is high-potential enough for the latter, but I think he could be a solid backup, which would still make that a good pick in round 5. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

If Fromm shows anything at all, he'll make the team.  The only question is whether they value Barkley as a mentor to Josh, thus keeping him as a 3rd QB.

With roster we have now, I really hope mentor days are over at all positions. They’ve instilled the “process” now we need to run with it based on ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

UGA fan. I think Fromm can be good. I like the pick. But as others have pointed out, arm strength is more an issue when it comes to mid-range outs and the like. Fella like Allen can zip them in and Fromm can't do that. He'll kill you with anticipation and reading the field. Personally, I think there's a fairly good chance both work out. For a fifth round pick, Fromm is a steal.

Watched every game Fromm played at  UGA - agree 100% with Dr. Who. Plus Fromm is super smart, humble, and will be an asset in the QB room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

With roster we have now, I really hope mentor days are over at all positions. They’ve instilled the “process” now we need to run with it based on ability. 

That's what I'm thinking/hoping as well.  And with Ken Dorsey as QB coach, the mentor-playe-QB isn't necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

You keep saying that if you can do it against SEC DBs that it will translate to the pro game, yet the fact is most of the QBs who succeeded in college it doesn't translate. Even the ones that had the most success in the SEC all-time.

Here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career passing yards.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 13,166 2010-13
2. David Greene Georgia 11,528 2001-04
3. Chris Leak Florida 11,213 2003-06
4. Peyton Manning Tennessee 11,201 1994-97
5. Eric Zeier Georgia 11,153 1991-94
6. Danny Wuerffel Florida 10,875 1993-96
7. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 10,354 2000-03
8. Eli Manning Ole Miss 10,119 2000-03
9. Casey Clausen Tennessee 9,707 2000-03
10. Bo Wallace Ole Miss 9,534

2012-14

And here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career touchdown passes.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 121 2010-13
2. Danny Wuerffel Florida 114 1993-96
3. Peyton Manning Tennessee 89 1994-97
T4. Chris Leak Florida 88 2003-06
T4. Tim Tebow Florida 88 2006-09
6. Eli Manning Ole Miss 81 2000-03
7. Andre Woodson Kentucky 79 2004-07
8. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 78 2000-03
T9. Rex Grossman Florida 77 2000-02
T9. AJ McCarron Alabama 77 2010-13

As you can see the two lists above are riddled with QBs that did nothing or next to nothing in the pro game.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If Fromm shows anything at all, he'll make the team.  The only question is whether they value Barkley as a mentor to Josh, thus keeping him as a 3rd QB.

Josh Allen is quickly outgrowing anything Barkley can teach him.  His job is about done in that sense.  I will be interested on how Fromm looks.