Has there been a QB in recent memory with more Bulletin Board material than Josh?

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This board had a 20+ page thread laughing at Mahomes for throwing interceptions in practice (can someone please find it!!! It’s hilarious).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, FireChans said:

Yeah. EJM got crushed. Tyrod got crushed. Fitz got crushed. Trentative got crushed. Losman got crushed.

I remember all of them. They all got trashed more than Josh.

None of them were trashed by the national media like Josh has been. Those guys were largely after thoughts to the national media. Very little attention good or bad. Josh on the other hand had a ton of national people doubting him coming into the league. Just like a lot of Bills fans. But the media has been slower to jump off that train.

By Bills fans? Yes. Josh has not been trashed as much by Bills fans because we watch the games and he's been a pleasant surprise to most of us. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, FireChans said:

Yeah. EJM got crushed. Tyrod got crushed. Fitz got crushed. Trentative got crushed. Losman got crushed.

I remember all of them. They all got trashed more than Josh.

I guess you missed the part in the original post asking the question that says also "successful".  None fo those QB's are eligible for comparison in this question.  They all sucked and none were successful, not even FitzCraptrick.

26 minutes ago, Billl said:

Im glad I had a cooler head in that thread...first page, right there...my comment:

So I follow the Cheifs on Bleacher Report just because I have Hunt as my keeper in 2 leagues and like to see how Sammy is doing.  So while this report has been on those mistakes, I can tell you that I have also got several notices on huge plays to Hill and Sammy as well.  I did NOT want to draft Mahomes at 10 as I thought he was too risky there and I loved our trade back.  But just because I thought he had a lot of risk doesn't mean the first week of Training Camp is going to prove who he is or isnt.  

Like with Allen, there will be some whoa moments and some cringe moments.  Only time will tell if either, both or neither can get rid of most those cringe moments and be a consistently good QB in the NFL. 

This is just another reason why its utterly stupid to overreact about training camp or preseason struggles or successes.  I mean there are people in that thread trashing Mahomes who were also prompting up Peterman that offseason and calling for him to start.  LMAO.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Does the OP, or anyone, really believe that JA would be motivated by stuff some writers are saying about him in the preseason?  If this does something for him, for better or worse, that's a big problem.

There is no "bulletin board material".  

'

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Does the OP, or anyone, really believe that JA would be motivated by stuff some writers are saying about him in the preseason?  If this does something for him, for better or worse, that's a big problem.

There is no "bulletin board material".  

'

Totally agree.  (By the way, I wouldn’t recommend reading that Mahomes thread if I were you.  Not your finest hour.)

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m reading that thread now.  It’s a whose who of terrible posters giving terrible takes about how Andy Reid is a terrible coach, Mahomes will bust, etc.

I feel pretty good about my stance on him back then...he had question marks I wasn't thrilled with to risk with the 10th overall pick.  And had we gone QB instead of trading down, I preferred Watson at that time.  And coming off a season where our defense was pathetic, I was quite happy picking up an extra first and landing Tre.  

Im only posting it to show why its ok to not be high or sold on a player, but also totally foolish to not recognize the upside and raw talent and condemn a players career before getting their shot on the field.  ESPECIALLY during training camp or preseason.  Which this board LOVES to do...and this thread is a great example.

I was critical of the idea of picking Mahomes at 10, in fact I down right hated the idea of taking him that high.  Would have been fine if we took him in the 2nd, but was very against the idea of him at 10 and I loved that we traded down, especially since we got White.

However, criticism aside, he has a lot of upside.  I just wasn't comfortable with what I felt his risk level was and preferred to work on the D than gamble on a QB at that point.  But now he is in the NFL...hes a first round pick...he has a cannon for an arm...Chiefs felt good enough about him to send Smith away.  I think its pretty reasonable to NOT fixate, good or bad, on the first week of camp.  Over stating mistakes and under valuing positives only serves to feed a biased opinion.  

Its going to be interesting to see what this kid can do, he got to sit and learn and has a good staff and incredible array of weapons to work with.  He's made some eye popping plays just like he's made some bad mistakes in camp so far, but thats what camp is for.  Im still not sure about him, but he is definitely setup well for success.  

29 minutes ago, Billl said:

Totally agree.  (By the way, I wouldn’t recommend reading that Mahomes thread if I were you.  Not your finest hour.)

I didn't think Reid was or is a "QB guru".  He's had 2 first rounders to "develop" who were very talented before he met them.  Plus Vick who was a former #1 pick and 3 time Pro Bowler in Atlanta

Because after 21 years and countless regular season wins paired with Conference Championship/playoff futility, the insane amount of skill position talent on his roster finally outweighed his very well documented playoff decision making struggles and he won a SB....does not disprove what I said in that thread.

If he did his typical choke job and lost that SB you would not have posted what you just posted.  He finally was able to cash in on another stacked team. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 4/30/2020 at 6:11 PM, TwistofFate said:

I can't see the ball in the video clip but the official is seen giving the tipped ball signal.  The Steeler DL is celebrating with a teammate. 

Expecting on target throws when the ball is tipped or the QB"s arm is is hit is beyond silly.  Using that as some kind of proof of anything is sloppy work.  But, alas, that's how many think.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I can't see the ball in the video clip but the official is seen giving the tipped ball signal.  The Steeler DL is celebrating with a teammate. 

Expecting on target throws when the ball is tipped or the QB"s arm is is hit is beyond silly.  Using that as some kind of proof of anything is sloppy work.  But, alas, that's how many think.

The tipped ball signal was due to the defender he drilled.

With what all we had to give up to get him in the way of draft picks and what we passed up (Watson, Mahommes, and Jackson), expectations are high as they should be.  

I don't think he gets it any worse than anyone else.  Although there was no TBD back then, there were fans calling for Frank to start over Jimbo.

Nothing new here.

However, I would say he gets more excuses for his play than any other Bills QB I can remember.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

With what all we had to give up to get him in the way of draft picks and what we passed up (Watson, Mahommes, and Jackson), expectations are high as they should be.  

I don't think he gets it any worse than anyone else.  Although there was no TBD back then, there were fans calling for Frank to start over Jimbo.

Nothing new here.

However, I would say he gets more excuses for his play than any other Bills QB I can remember.

Well, excuses are always legitimate reasons for folks on the other side of the argument. I do think Allen gets more negative coverage because of initial convictions when originally drafted. This is more true nationally than in terms of Bills' fans and its been mitigated now because its evident to most that he has a chance to be good. (There are still some including a few here who don't see it.)

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Has there been a QB in recent memory with more Bulletin Board material than Josh?
On 5/2/2020 at 6:03 AM, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, well live with it dude. Don't really care what your analytics say, I watched the games and I know I saw Allen lead numerous fourth qtr comebacks. Skepticism that likes to shoot down every good thing the fella does starts to seem like an agenda, even if it's "realism."

Are there real Easter bunnies in your world ?

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/05/04/3-reasons-josh-allen-will-make-pro-bowl-2020/

Buffalo Bills: 3 reasons Josh Allen will make the Pro Bowl in 2020

The third year is often when many quarterbacks either sink or swim in the NFL. Two seasons into his NFL career, Josh Allen has proven that he is one of the most competitive quarterbacks in the league, even if he does not have the stats to back it up.

Allen came into the league with almost every disadvantage possible when he was drafted in 2017. First, he was drafted to a team in the middle of a rebuild. Being labeled as a team’s franchise quarterback comes with its own pressure and it can be easy to be overwhelmed by that pressure.

Coming out of a smaller program like Wyoming certainly did not help the public’s perception of Allen’s NFL readiness. Yet after two seasons, the young quarterback has weathered the storm and is likely to be the top quarterback in the AFC East.

If he continues to develop at the pace he has been on, it would not be surprising to see Josh Allen in his first Pro Bowl in 2020. Here are a few reasons why.

He's a Buffalo Bills QB so until he can show with some consistency that he can continue to win & do it convincingly then he won't get any respect because he plays for the Bills even with all the hype the so called experts are heaping on them .

This year (if it goes off) will be a big year for Josh & all will find out just what kind of QB he is, he has every weapon a QB could ever need to succeed now alls he has to do is his job !!

I know you all will cringe at what i'm about to say but can you imagine lets say TB 12 with the weapons that Josh has ? he would just cut up most any one that got in his way the tools are definitely in the shed lets hope Josh has studied enough to know how to use them properly ..

Edited by T master

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If he continues to develop at the pace he has been on, it would not be surprising to see Josh Allen in his first Pro Bowl in 2020. 

I WOULD be surprised to see Josh in the 2020 Pro Bowl because the Super Bowl guys don't get to play in the Pro Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I WOULD be surprised to see Josh in the 2020 Pro Bowl because the Super Bowl guys don't get to play in the Pro Bowl. 

there can be many ways to answer this

Make that FIRST BALLOT PRO BOWL selection.

He can sit the PB out if they are in the SB.

By the sound if it, it will be a Virtual Pro Bowl.