Has there been a QB in recent memory with more Bulletin Board material than Josh?

2 hours ago, MJS said:

If you play QB, you get trash thrown at you constantly. Doesn't even matter what team you play for. They all get trashed until they become elite, and even THEN you have detractors.

Sure players will get trashed by their own fans and media personality who staked their football evaluation ability on who to draft and have become trolls trying to double down.

58 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Don't forget Flutie.  He was awesome when he played.  But I get your point.  I am in complete agreement with you on Josh Allen!!

I didn't mention Flutie because he was actually good and fun to watch. However, they imbecilicly replaced  him for Music City Miracle. Johnson probably had the best game of his career. 

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Don't forget Flutie.  He was awesome when he played.  But I get your point.  I am in complete agreement with you on Josh Allen!!

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Couldn't mention Flutie, he was the exception. I loved that guy. Bitterly disappointed when they pulled him for Johnson. Who knew he would have the game of his career.

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Maybe, maybe not, seems everyone takes things to the extreme these days. Hard to prove it either way...

That’s the beauty of the internet. A topic about the “over the top” criticism of EJ.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I didn't mention Flutie because he was actually good and fun to watch. However, they imbecilicly replaced  him for Music City Miracle. Johnson probably had the best game of his career. 

That was a very sad ending that day.  I was at the game.  Two really two hard nosed teams.  That was still the old NFL when defenses put a beat down on you.  Bills had great LB's back then.  Sam Rogers Keith Newman John Holocek Sam Cowart.  Bruce was still good after 15 years.  Phil Hanson was still around.  It was pretty cold that day in Nashville.  Damp drizzly and dreary.  But I remember partying early in the morning in the cold w my ex wife and buddies in a parking lot.  Lots of beer and donuts.  We met some Bills fans from Corpus Christie, Texas.  Had driven all the way up for the game.  The field was all tore up.  Titans had McNair Eddie George Frank Wychek.  Javon Kearse.  Just a bunch of warriors. 

Flutie was good.  For all you youngsters on here.  Flutie was awesome.  So much fun and so exciting.  He was a leader.  Brought the team back to life in 98 two years after Jimbo retired.  Loved that guy!   

This is homer-ism at its finest. Even most national pundits are expecting improved things from the Bills. 

But to answer your question, yes. Even this year Cam Newton is trashed all the time. Trubinsky is on his last leg in Chicago. Chad Kelly gets pooped on. Everybody thought Ryan Mallet was on meth Ryan Leaf...woof. Even in his own draft class, Baker Mayfield creates a crap storm around him. 

JOSH ALLEN IS NOT A MARTYR 

Edit: add Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins to the list. 

Edited by Mango
Dumb dumb
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I really don't see it at all with Josh, but then again I don't pay any of his detractors (except for CBiscuit97 cause he's funny :D).

I just look at his sky-high ceiling, his unlimited potential, his winning intangibles, his rapid improvement, and I smile. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s the beauty of the internet. A topic about the “over the top” criticism of EJ.

And everyone’s blaming the OC.  Sun rises, sun sets...

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I love TSW Archives! There is GOLD to be found there!

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Thinking back I had the NFL ticket back then and now that I don’t, I’m more apt to follow the game day thread, that’s where the Allen hate was / is downright brutal. It probably was the same for EJ, I just didn’t follow it then....

With the exception of the quartet on GMFB, none of the pundits in the national sports media pay any attention to the Bills.  I listen to these “experts” discussing the Bills on TV and if they aren’t factually wrong about something, then they are simply repeating the same unsubstantiated opinion they heard or read someone else have about the Bills.

The sports media is lazy and makes no effort to have an informed opinion about the Bills.  Their coverage of Allen is simply a reflection of that laziness.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’ve been going through the years and I can’t remember a qb who has literally been trashed more then this guy yet is somehow successful heck even Josh Rosen who is almost out the league has gotten better publicity...just strange 

I guess you weren't around for Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel or even Flutie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Thinking back I had the NFL ticket back then and now that I don’t, I’m more apt to follow the game day thread, that’s where the Allen hate was / is downright brutal. It probably was the same for EJ, I just didn’t follow it then....

I am missing most of the "Allen hate,"  and the hate that does exist I don't even understand. The kid has unlimited talent. He is from a small school and needs to develop a bit more. So what?

My choice for QB in 2018 was:

Darnold

Allen

Mayfield

Rosen

It looks to me that Allen will soon be better than Darnold. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

Was supposed to be the biggest “project” qb in 2018’s draft.

Had to start almost right away.

had flashes of brilliance and finished the year 5-5 as a starter/finisher on a terrible team.

2019 Got better talent.

improved as a leader.

improved td passes.

improves accuracy.

improved about 30 tds running and passing.
has at least 4 fourth quarter comebacks, including opening day, and could have another if not injured in the Pats game.
Leads team to the playoffs with a 10-6 record in his second year.

media:  “Josh what’s next for you, suicide, or is simple retirement on your radar for being an abject failure?  Oh, and one more thing, do you think the Bills should trade for Rosen?”

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That was a very sad ending that day.  I was at the game.  Two really two hard nosed teams.  That was still the old NFL when defenses put a beat down on you.  Bills had great LB's back then.  Sam Rogers Keith Newman John Holocek Sam Cowart.  Bruce was still good after 15 years.  Phil Hanson was still around.  It was pretty cold that day in Nashville.  Damp drizzly and dreary.  But I remember partying early in the morning in the cold w my ex wife and buddies in a parking lot.  Lots of beer and donuts.  We met some Bills fans from Corpus Christie, Texas.  Had driven all the way up for the game.  The field was all tore up.  Titans had McNair Eddie George Frank Wychek.  Javon Kearse.  Just a bunch of warriors. 

Flutie was good.  For all you youngsters on here.  Flutie was awesome.  So much fun and so exciting.  He was a leader.  Brought the team back to life in 98 two years after Jimbo retired.  Loved that guy!   

What a testimony to the awesomeness of being a great fan and seeing an event that is a standard for the NFL capturing the imagination of all sports fans. I dream of going to a venue with my son and grandson and sharing an experience like that. 

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am missing most of the "Allen hate,"  and the hate that does exist I don't even understand. The kid has unlimited talent. He is from a small school and needs to develop a bit more. So what?

My choice for QB in 2018 was:

Darnold

Allen

Mayfield

Rosen

It looks to me that Allen will soon be better than Darnold. We shall see.

If you ever followed a game day thread you would see the insanity. We have our normal detractors, but on game day it goes to a whole new level...

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

If you ever followed a game day thread you would see the insanity. We have our normal detractors, but on game day it goes to a whole new level...

And there is still this....

GREGGTX

Posted 13 hours ago

We'd be a better team right now with Dalton at QB, but it's not happening.

Edited by Meatloaf63

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah. EJM got crushed. Tyrod got crushed. Fitz got crushed. Trentative got crushed. Losman got crushed.

I remember all of them. They all got trashed more than Josh.

Not even close to what Josh Allen has gotten from the media.  No one even cared enough about the other guys you listed.  Tyrod gets talked up by most media guys.  

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah. EJM got crushed. Tyrod got crushed. Fitz got crushed. Trentative got crushed. Losman got crushed.

I remember all of them. They all got trashed more than Josh.

You have a poor memory.  None of the QBs mentioned were top 10 draft picks, and all were justifiably critiqued for their play on the field.  Most were "propped up" or at least given the benefit of the doubt before reality could not be ignored.

Allen, by contrast, has been bashed incessantly since he was drafted -- before he took one step on an NFL field many labeled him a certain bust.  Then, despite huge improvements in key areas last season, nearly every write up about the 2020 Bills lists Allen as the biggest question mark and/or reason the Bills won't advance farther.

It's like night and day.

• Like (+1) 2