RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

He made defenders miss at a similar rate as Singeltary in college.  Bigger guy, little faster.  I think he becomes a star.  Both him and Singletary can do it all.  The offense got insanley better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

: )

best  band ever though for real.
just very not my thing.
Bob Dylan wrote the rolling stone song didn't he ?

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

He made defenders miss at a similar rate as Singeltary in college.  Bigger guy, little faster.  I think he becomes a star.  Both him and Singletary can do it all.  The offense got insanley better.

this. I was hoping for complimentary RB in the draft.
I won.

ecstatic with this pick 

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

I was of the billief that we needed a home run hitter with speed to take it to the house every play.  

I’m now of the billief that it’s MossMode time!!!  Bring the pain Zach.  If he stays healthy, he’s gonna be a fan favorite for 4 years. Then we let him go and let someone else pay him the big bucks.  Poor rbs

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder how important different positions are to teams. I guess that one measure would be if they put their money where their mouth is.  I'll consider players taken the first two rounds (these rounds are twice as effective in getting starters as round 3 is).   Taking the offensive positions and the normal pro set and the 2020 draft you get that they drafted this many players for the different positions.

position no. Drafted 1-64 drafted/spots
QB 1 4 4.0
TE 1 1 1.0
RB 1 6 6.0
C 1 1 1.0
G 2 1 0.5
T 2 6 3.0
WR 3 11 3.7

Gee,  everybody waited to get a running back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#df251f77495b

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I wonder how important different positions are to teams. I guess that one measure would be if they put their money where their mouth is.  I'll consider players taken the first two rounds (these rounds are twice as effective in getting starters as round 3 is).   Taking the offensive positions and the normal pro set and the 2020 draft you get that they drafted this many players for the different positions.

QB 1 4 4.0
TE 1 1 1.0
RB 1 6 6.0
C 1 1 1.0
G 2 1 0.5
T 2 6 3.0
WR 3 11 3.7

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#df251f77495b

I've never been one of the rbs are a dime a dozen crowd but 6 in the first 2 rnds was a surprise to me. I wonder if that is an anomaly compared to other years. I'm too busy building a shop in my yard to check. 

I am also surprised there were 8 rbs taken before Moss,  I think time will show that was a big mistake. That does explain why Moss was looking frustrated and angry in his living room though. I thought it was funny when they showed him the announcer was saying: "he doesn't like people, he's angry all the time".?

Their loss is the Bills' gain. Epenesa and Moss falling to the Bills was just perfect.

• Like (+1) 2

I keep looking at his film and I like him even more.  He is a physical beast and He really compliments Singletary well.  

I would love it if we could impose our will on teams by running.  I known the game has changed -“evolved” - but 2 backs that could hurt another team is nice to have.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Was this tweeted yet?

That's a pretty strong statement as far as his usage goes. We can expect likely a split time share. 

Should be awesome. Can’t wait to see those two. If Knox can take a step forward, there’s no excuse for Josh after this season with all the weapons around him.

• Like (+1) 1

Comparing him to Jonathan Taylor he is better in pass protection, has done more as a receiver, breaks more tackles and has shown better ball security.  These are qualities that sustain offense.  I think we will all enjoy watching him play.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

QB 1 4 4.0
TE 1 1 1.0
RB 1 6 6.0
C 1 1 1.0
G 2 1 0.5
T 2 6 3.0
WR 3 11 3.7

Well Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Hurts seems like 5 QBs in the first 2 rounds. 

Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs, Jackson, Wilson, and Cleveland makes 7 OTs.

Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, J Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, V Jefferson, and Mims makes 13 WR.

Not sure how much it changes things, but it helps to have correct numbers. I also dislike the round 2 cutoff. Seems arbitrarily chosen to meet your result. Sticking to round 1 players changes this dramatically (1 rb vs 6), and I would wager including round 3 would as well. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Hurts seems like 5 QBs in the first 2 rounds. 

Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs, Jackson, Wilson, and Cleveland makes 7 OTs.

Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, J Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, V Jefferson, and Mims makes 13 WR.

Not sure how much it changes things, but it helps to have correct numbers. I also dislike the round 2 cutoff. Seems arbitrarily chosen to meet your result. Sticking to round 1 players changes this dramatically (1 rb vs 6), and I would wager including round 3 would as well. 

Thanks for reading my post and I will present here, the correction, the inclusion of the third round and some explanation as to why I though that using the first two rounds illustrated the point I was making.  First, the corrected chart for the first and second rounds.

QB 1 5 5.0
TE 1 1 1.0
RB 1 6 6.0
C 1 1 1.0
G 2 1 0.5
T 2 7 3.5
WR 3 13 4.3

This doesn't change things very much.  RB is still most strongly drafted relative to the number of playing positions on offense.

I wanted to have some reconsideration of the idea that  "RB's are easy to get in the later (3,4,5) rounds and that is what everybody does".  No, a lot of teams went after RB's early in the draft and we were lucky to get Moss where we did.

Also, that Forbes article is interesting. By their definition you have the following chances of getting a starter: Round One=  30% ,,,, Round Two= 17.5%,,,Round three= 12/6% round four= 11% and round five- 6%.    OR Picks to get a starter   R1=   3.3..........R2= 5.7...............R3= 7.9..............R4= 9.2........R5= 15.    It just seemed like a good place to top. Also highly skilled positions, like QB and WR have a high bust rate and those people are often drafted in the first round- But than OT's are pretty reliable,  I don't know how to figure all that out.

Now if we do add the 3rd round, then the idea that RB's are drafted "high" doesn't change too much. A lot of the picks now go to interior line, and tight end

Lets add in the third round (I rechecked this)

Wider receivers= 4. B.Edwards, D Duvenay, Bowden & Gibson

Offensive tackle= 4 J.Jones, Viang, Peart, & T.Phillips

Running back= 3 Vaugh, Evans & Moss

Centers= 2 Cushenberry, Kennessy

Guard= 2 D.Lewis & J.Jackson

Tight end= 4 Deguara, Asoaso. Keene & Trautman

position no. Drafted 1-96 drafted/spots
QB 1 5 5.0
TE 1 5 5.0
RB 1 9 9.0
C 1 3 3.0
G 2 3 1.5
OT 2 11 5.5
WR 3 17 5.7

Runnng backs are still drafted more per playing spot than other offensive positions.

I am wondering if we are starting to see a change in the role of the running back change to what used to be called a scatback.  A small shifty guy with speed. But now he will be expected to work as a wide receiver as well as carrying the ball.  Edwards-Halaire got drafted in the first round by the SB champ.  Swift was supposed to be a first rounder and went 3rd in the second round. Gibson is listed as a WR and the 'Skins were criticized for taking him so early, but he also was listed as a WR/RB and maybe the "hybrid back" is a new trend.  I hope Moss can play some of that role.

• Like (+1) 1