Any Position the Bills wouldn't take the BPA in Round 2?

BisonMan

QB is really the only position I don't think they wouldn't sink a pick into. Yes Matt Barkley isn't the best backup but he is serviceable and a positive locker room guy (definitely deserving of the Alex Moran position) but given the depth needs of the roster they can't throw away a 2nd round pick at the position. Maybe DT is another position where the depth and youth is there to where tossing a 2nd round pick would be stupid. I can't see any other position where they would pass up a draft steal in favor of a need. 

QB- Yes they would pass. 

RB- Need a player behind Singletary they would use a 2nd rounder on great value. 

WR- They need depth short term and a long term replacement for Brown and Beasley who just turned 30 and 31 respectively. 

TE- Not much at this position group, lots of raw players and a often injured vet in Kroft. 

OL- Unlike some I love the O-line group but I don't think they pass on any O-line position if the value is super good. They have shown the desire to field a good deep O-line group. The value would have to be insane for them not to pass but it could exist. 

DT- This is one group where I could see them passing on great value.

DE- One of the bigger needs on the team is to get a young player behind the older group there of course they pick a good DE if one is available. 
LB- Klein is older and on a short term deal, Milano could be a cap casualty, I could see them future proofing the position long term but the value would have to be good. 

CB- There might be a need here as outside of Tre the group has some questions, I think they aren't afraid to take a CB early. 

S- Value would have to be insane here but if there was good value I could see them taking on a player for short term depth and longer term security. 

I don’t think you will see a QB, FB, or TE picked at 54.    I think they go BPA on THEIR Draft Board, which is not like the mock draft guru’s at all.  

I think they want that player to fall in here - OLB/DE or RB/WR or OL. 

Edited by Bob in STL

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I don’t think you will not QB, FB, or TE picked at 54.    I think they go BPA on THEIR Draft Board, which is not like the mock draft guru’s at all.  

I think they want that player to fall in here - OLB/DE or RB/WR or OL. 

The way the roster is constructed they dont have a must draft a guy position.  I think anything is on the table.  From the position standppint Qb is the most unlikly but woudnt hate it.  Perfect world they would like a Rd 1 rated Edge, Linebaker, Cb, or OT.  Outside of Qb those are primer positions.   

I think more likley they will pick from RB, Wr, and Saftey.  In most years I think saftey would be where they go.  However, last year ended with Beane saying they need to score more points, so they go Wr or Rb.  

There is a high probablilty someone they liked at those position will be available.  Whether its Mims, Claypool, possibly Higgins could potentialy be available.  Same applies for Rb one of the top rated guys will be available. 

Buffalo is set up pretty well.  A premier position falls or they pick the best available skill player.  

• Like (+1) 2

We'll likely be picking no sooner than mid 2nd round, in which case there will be several potential draftees with nearly equal grades. Our biggest need ATM is RT, but I'm not going to try to predict. I just hope they don't waste our top pick on a S, RB or WR when the need is so much greater at OT, LE, CB, TE etc.

I'd be fine with taking a QB in round 2 to push Allen for the starting job.

Edited by GreggTX

On 4/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane drafts for need.

He will draft edge or RB in round two and then say the player was highest on the board.

s

On 4/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, jrober38 said:

He'll be fine this year.

I think he winds up as a top 10 Tight End. 

RB

I cannot understand why RB is considered a "need" for this team.

We need someone who can carry the ball 5-6 times a game.  (

You look for that on the third day of the draft. 

Because we need to have two good running backs and have somebody who is a top 10 back if we are going to go deep into the playoffs.  Do some research and come back to us with 4 or 5 articles ranking the NFL running backs. I did, and never found Singletary ranked higher than #20.  That is close to the bottom third of the league.   Getting a RB in the 3rd or later round will give you a JAG and a guy who will be the 7th or later RB selected.  Do you expect that guy to be better than the 7th others taken?  (please, neither you or I are so smart to find Gale Sayers in the 5th round better than pro scouts).  Do you expect that guy to be better than the existing 32 starters or maybe 50 "committee" RB1a/RB1b guys?

32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We'll likely be picking no sooner than mid 2nd round, in which case there will be several potential draftees with nearly equal grades. Our biggest need ATM is RT, but I'm not going to try to predict. I just hope they don't waste our top pick on a S, RB or WR when the need is so much greater at OT, LE, CB, TE etc.

Are you going to get a starting right tackle at pick #54? 

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

s

Because we need to have two good running backs and have somebody who is a top 10 back if we are going to go deep into the playoffs.  Do some research and come back to us with 4 or 5 articles ranking the NFL running backs. I did, and never found Singletary ranked higher than #20.  That is close to the bottom third of the league.   Getting a RB in the 3rd or later round will give you a JAG and a guy who will be the 7th or later RB selected.  Do you expect that guy to be better than the 7th others taken?  (please, neither you or I are so smart to find Gale Sayers in the 5th round better than pro scouts).  Do you expect that guy to be better than the existing 32 starters or maybe 50 "committee" RB1a/RB1b guys?

What is this based off?

How many NFL teams actually have two good running backs?

I can't think of more than a handful teams. 

Edited by jrober38

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I very rarely use absolutes, but I'll make an exception here.

No QB drafted in 2020 will push Allen for the starting QB job.  Even with the typical offseason, I'd say there is virtually no chance. But with no offseason program in place, the odds go to ZERO (practically speaking), IMO.  Only a veteran FA signing/trade would even be considered "competition" this year.

I'd imagine QB is about the only thing that couldn't be chosen should the right player drop. It really speaks to how well this team is built. Our biggest gaps on our roster are where we need another back behind our very promising sophomore, and where we could use an upgrade on our second CB who would start on many teams in the league should we drop him. 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, jrober38 said:

He'll be fine this year.

I think he winds up as a top 10 Tight End. 

I cannot understand why RB is considered a "need" for this team.

We need someone who can carry the ball 5-6 times a game.

You look for that on the third day of the draft. 

Well that someone is not on the team right now.  Singletary missed time last year.  No one knows if he can carry the load yet.  I like Yeldon as a no.2 but this staff did not in the past.  I would be shocked if they do not add another RB in the draft. 

There are just not that many roster spots up for grabs.