bradin cooks vs stefon Digs

dbfla10

45 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

statistically these two are very similar. Who has the more value... Bills gave up a lot for diggs, Texans only a second rounder for cooks. I like Diggs better as a player, but knowing a 2nd rounder would've got Cooks, i'd rather the 2nd for Cooks and see what the 1st rounder would land the Bills.

The two are not comparable talent wise. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

"BY FAR" is a stretch. Look at their stats, they are nearly identical... I agree I like Diggs better, but the Bills definitely over paid.

No. They’re not. Diggs is definitely better. And the bills did not overpay. A ***** gm giving away a top 5 WR for nothing, and a concussion prone WR on his 4th team in like 6 years getting dealt for cheap does not prove that the bills overpaid for a very very good WR. 

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

Don't look at stats, they are for losers. Look at the game film.

I love my stats, but This.

Also, they are comparable statistically only if you look at a distance (at yards per season, say).  Diggs has a far more consistent catch % (>67% last 3 seasons) than Cooks (57%, 68%,58%).  The deeper you delve, the less comparable they look. 

As someone else pointed out, Cooks has been catching passes from Brees, Brady, and Goff - and did it so well that each team moved on from him

Diggs has been catching passes from Bradford, Keenum, and Cousins and making them look better.

Cooks is a solid player with a troubling concussion history.  He is nowhere near a replacement for Hopkins.  When you watch the kind of catches they each make, he is not equivalent to Diggs, either.

56 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

"BY FAR" is a stretch. Look at their stats, they are nearly identical... I agree I like Diggs better, but the Bills definitely over paid.

I strongly disagree. We finally got Josh a true number 1 WR and a proven veteran number 1 at that. I’m glad Beane didn’t take a chance in the draft. A lot of WR’s coming out In this draft that don’t look ready. 

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

No. They’re not. Diggs is definitely better. And the bills did not overpay. A ***** gm giving away a top 5 WR for nothing, and a concussion prone WR on his 4th team in like 6 years getting dealt for cheap does not prove that the bills overpaid for a very very good WR. 

How Bill o Brien still has a job is beyond me. I would’ve fired him not only for trading away Hopkins for David Johnson but for this move as well. Cooks sucks, Rams completely overpaid for him only to get mediocre production out of him and now O Brien is taking on Cooks bloated contract lol

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Cooks is also costing Houston a lot more. I believe he is hovering around $16-17M/per whereas we have Diggs at $11-12/per.

So yes, maybe their stats are similar. However, when you take into account injury history, Diggs QB's, and contract value, I am more than happy spending a tad bit more on Diggs.

Edited by ytownblofan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

How Bill o Brien still has a job is beyond me. I would’ve fired him not only for trading away Hopkins for David Johnson but for this move as well. Cooks sucks, Rams completely overpaid for him only to get mediocre production out of him and now O Brien is taking on Cooks bloated contract lol

Agreed on everything except Cooks' contract.

It's $8M this year, and then $12M/yr for the rest with $0 dead money, so cuttable (or tradeable) at any time.

I thought it was worse as well until I really looked into it.

58 minutes ago, Rico said:

Don't look at stats, they are for losers. Look at the game film.

I'd say "don't look at stats w/o context". Are stats meaningful? Of course they are. They are much more meaningful- with CONTEXT!

Stats are are merely one part of the complete picture.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'd say "don't look at stats w/o context". Are stats meaningful? Of course they are. They are much more meaningful- with CONTEXT!

Stats are are merely one part of the complete picture.

The only stat in football that matters is W's. Now, if you want to talk about baseball, I would agree.

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The two are not comparable talent wise. 

Don’t really agree with this one.  Cooks was a first round pick.  He’s super talented.  People say he gets traded a lot and that’s true.  But he’s getting traded for high picks and by annual playoff teams. He’s very talented.  

the main difference and it’s huge is health.  Cooks struggles there and it’s where Diggs has a huge advantage.

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

I dispute with the notion that we overpaid for Diggs.

Consider this: Last season, our first, second, and third draft picks started the season, week one. Our fourth pick started week five. I think every single pick made the final roster at some point, and saw the field during the season. That makes those late round picks valuable.

THIS SEASON, those late round picks will be lucky to make the practice squad, and barring significant preseason injury, it is highly unlikely that we will have a single rookie starting the season. Those late round picks that were added to the first round pick for Diggs have a lot less value for the Bills than they would for other teams at this point.

Look also at the history of expectations for WR draftees-- Watkins and Jay Jones come to mind. We paid a king's ransom for Watkins, a player that every pundit said was going to be elite, and what did he become? A solid #2. Jones was billed as "the most NFL-ready WR in his draft." It would be an understatement to say that didn't turn out to be true. The moral of the story here is that WR is one of the riskier skill positions to draft, right up there with QB. It's very hard to predict how well a college WR is going to transition into the NFL.

Add to this Diggs' reasonable contract, and the fact that he is a proven, elite receiver in the NFL.

So, consider Diggs our first round pick, and Beane did a great job. 

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

Bradford, Keenum, Cousins vs Brees and Brady... Cooks did have the nice year with Goff - but a healthy Gurley helped propel that offense.  And in his best year in LA, he was actually 2nd in receiving to woods. 

Cooks also was not good in 2019... which harms his value in a what have you done for me lately way.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Don’t really agree with this one.  Cooks was a first round pick.  He’s super talented.  People say he gets traded a lot and that’s true.  But he’s getting traded for high picks and by annual playoff teams. He’s very talented.  

the main difference and it’s huge is health.  Cooks struggles there and it’s where Diggs has a huge advantage.

It isn't about where they are drafted. He doesn't do anything as well as Diggs.

Diggs was and should be the choice.  I am sure Beane kicked the tires with the Rams.

Cooks is a tease.  He has what you want in a WR and at times, plays that way.  But he is inconsistent, injury prone and does not come up big when required.  This is why he keeps being traded.  When 3 teams who are prime passing teams give up on a WR, it is a hint that there is something wrong.

Edited by Just Joshin'

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't about where they are drafted. He doesn't do anything as well as Diggs.

So you think Belichick, Payton, McVay, and O’Brien (not a solid OC) are just giving you high picks for the guy for no reason?  He’s super talented.  In some ways, him and Diggs are extremely similar.  I would give the edge to Diggs but they are both are 1B/ super high end #2s.  Cooks’ injury stuff is very real. 

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

The only stat in football that matters is W's. Now, if you want to talk about baseball, I would agree.

Not when comparing individual players on very different teams, with very different schemes. I'd venture to say judging a WR on wins alone is dumber than using stats alone. Using W's as the sole criterion should be reserved for individual sports.

Good analysis is typically a multi-factor process. But you know that. 

• Like (+1) 2