14 teams in the Playoffs confirmed. Are we a lock?

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Lower quality football. I do not need more football, personally. The structure was already perfect for me. More of a good thing is not always better. The law of diminishing returns illustrates this perfectly.

Why would it be lower quality football?  More teams in the playoffs means fewer games featuring teams eliminated from the playoffs, and only having one bye in each conference means fewer games with teams resting starters.  Unless you’re a fan of watching teams tank, there is no downside.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good article, I agree with Mark Cuban.  These second generation owners are making the NFL an active investment by being greedy, rather than a passive one that will appreciate on its own like it has for years.  The NFL has a finite time to live the way it is going now.

The NFL should focus their efforts on growing the sport in the UK, Germany and Mexico as opposed to over expanding it in the USA. Sad to see the short sighted corporate thinking that these owners are engaged in. 

Ok, this argument is silly.  Over the last 10 years which is a pretty good sample size.

NFL

3- 10-6

1- 9-6-1

8- 9-7

1- 8-7-1

7- 8-8

That means not one team in 10 years had a losing record, and 13 of 20 had a winning record.  65% of all of these teams had a winning record.  Whether anyone likes it or not, there is no record in a decade of any team in a potential wildcard having a losing record.  There were two division winners who this won’t change had a 7-9 record in the last decade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Why would it be lower quality football?  More teams in the playoffs means fewer games featuring teams eliminated from the playoffs, and only having one bye in each conference means fewer games with teams resting starters.  Unless you’re a fan of watching teams tank, there is no downside.

It's not hard to understand. It's lower quality because you are letting two lesser teams into the playoffs. Worse teams = worse quality. Not to mention you will increase the number of blowouts because you have fewer teams with a bye and the top teams will now be facing worse teams.

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL should focus their efforts on growing the sport in the UK, Germany and Mexico as opposed to over expanding it in the USA. Sad to see the short sighted corporate thinking that these owners are engaged in. 

Please see the International Series. Also, more playoffs equal more foreign eyes. Many causal international have no interest in regular season football and will only pay attention to the playoffs, something they don’t have in their soccer leagues

10 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Please see the International Series. Also, more playoffs equal more foreign eyes. Many causal international have no interest in regular season football and will only pay attention to the playoffs, something they don’t have in their soccer leagues

I thought from a competitive standpoint the 12 out of 32 with byes for the top 2 in the conference was a perfect playoff format that valued the regular season, finishing high in your conference and not making it too difficult to make the playoffs but not too easy. I also don't think that adding 2 more games to wildcard weekend is really going to draw that many more eyes. Saturday and Sunday already have 2 games each that weekend, does having a 3rd game each day really do anything for the casual fan who probably doesn't want to watch 9.5 hours a day of football in back to back days? 

I think that much like Thursday night football overexposure and fatigue is a real thing. The Thursday game is only really liked by some hardcore fans and isn't worth the overexposure and watering down of the product. The playoffs having 6 games in one weekend is just overkill and something that will only appeal to hardcore fans. I wish the NFL would just pour more effort into expanding into other markets (which they do but they could be doing a better job of) as opposed to overexposing their product in their most profitable market. 

Edited by billsfan89

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought from a competitive standpoint the 12 out of 32 with byes for the top 2 in the conference was a perfect playoff format that valued the regular season, finishing high in your conference and not making it too difficult to make the playoffs but not too easy. I also don't think that adding 2 more games to wildcard weekend is really going to draw that many more eyes. Saturday and Sunday already have 2 games each that weekend, does having a 3rd game each day really do anything for the casual fan who probably doesn't want to watch 9.5 hours a day of football in back to back days? 

I think that much like Thursday night football overexposure and fatigue is a real thing. The Thursday game is only really liked by some hardcore fans and isn't worth the overexposure and watering down of the product. The playoffs having 6 games in one weekend is just overkill and something that will only appeal to hardcore fans. I wish the NFL would just pour more effort into expanding into other markets (which they do but they could be doing a better job of) as opposed to overexposing their product in their most profitable market. 

*gamblers, the Thursday night games are for gamblers

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

What’s this “over-exposure” and “fatigue” you speak of? 

Have you noticed how many games the NBA, NHL and especially MLB plays? Hell, the first round of the NHL playoffs is one of the more exciting rounds in sports overall and they have 16 teams.

No, give me more football, please.

Thank you.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Nope, not a lock. The roster says the Bills should be a playoff team, but as fans we know that doesn’t mean much. I don’t think this change to the format will be a hindrance to the Bills chances , but there are still things that can go wrong. 

If there is only one 1st week playoff bye per conference, will the top conference teams take their foot off the gas near the end of the regular season or try harder?

Are two extra middling teams likely to advance or are they there just to keep more people interested in the outcome of December regular season games?

12 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

What’s this “over-exposure” and “fatigue” you speak of? 

Have you noticed how many games the NBA, NHL and especially MLB plays? Hell, the first round of the NHL playoffs is one of the more exciting rounds in sports overall and they have 16 teams.

No, give me more football, please.

Thank you.

Monday Night football used to be the event of the NFL week. Now thanks to Sunday night football and the Thursday night game (among other factors to be fair) Monday night football is an after thought. The fact that the NBA, NHL and MLB regular season games are often overlooked shows you that constantly playing games and putting your product 4-6 days a week on national TV can severely overexpose and water down how important games feel. 

Even on Thanksgiving no one really cares for the 3rd game. They want to see the Cowboys and Lions games early in the day and then just pass out or enjoy the day with family. To me personally I used to love the NFL a lot more before the Thursday game. It used to be that after Monday Night football the NFL would take some time and reset. Tuesday you would do a recap of the Monday game and power rankings/early previews. Wednesday to Friday were just building anticipation previewing the weeks matchup and Saturday was college. 

Now with the Thursday game the NFL is omni-present and it just waters down the specialness of NFL football to have it on every 2 or 3 days. It does long term damage to the brand in my opinion because if something is always on it is never on. 

I guess my gripe is that the increasing of the playoffs, Thursday games, adding of a 17th regular season game, and all these things don't expand the appeal of the NFL to the more casual audience but just simply milks the hardcore fan who is already buying the product. It is just a lazy cash grab one that could be very short sighted. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

I

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Monday Night football used to be the event of the NFL week. Now thanks to Sunday night football and the Thursday night game (among other factors to be fair) Monday night football is an after thought. The fact that the NBA, NHL and MLB regular season games are often overlooked shows you that constantly playing games and putting your product 4-6 days a week on national TV can severely overexpose and water down how important games feel. 

Even on Thanksgiving no one really cares for the 3rd game. They want to see the Cowboys and Lions games early in the day and then just pass out or enjoy the day with family. To me personally I used to love the NFL a lot more before the Thursday game. It used to be that after Monday Night football the NFL would take some time and reset. Tuesday you would do a recap of the Monday game and power rankings/early previews. Wednesday to Friday were just building anticipation previewing the weeks matchup and Saturday was college. 

Now with the Thursday game the NFL is omni-present and it just waters down the specialness of NFL football to have it on every 2 or 3 days. It does long term damage to the brand in my opinion because if something is always on it is never on. 

I guess my gripe is that the increasing of the playoffs, Thursday games, adding of a 17th regular season game, and all these things don't expand the appeal of the NFL to the more casual audience but just simply milks the hardcore fan who is already buying the product. It is just a lazy cash grab one that could be very short sighted. 

I think you are doing a whole lot of speaking for yourself.

No one really cares for the 3rd game on Thanksgiving?

I do. So do a lot of people. 

https://deadline.com/2019/11/saints-falcons-thanksgiving-ratings-nfl-nbc-1202797348/

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/status/1245046430424678400?s=21

im glad/relieved we’ve been twice in 3 years before this change. The drought ended in the old way.

Ah yes!  The old fashioned way---through the back door after a long out of it team acted as the spoiler with a miraculous game winning bomb on their last play of their last possession  of their last game!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/status/1245046430424678400?s=21

im glad/relieved we’ve been twice in 3 years before this change. The drought ended in the old way.

Yes we should be since I though we were a lock even with the 12 team format. This actually sucks a bit for us - since we were in the running for the top 2 seeds. This basically devalues the #2 seed. 

Since we have more than "reaching the playoff" aspirations, what this means is it is not just enough to win the AFC East and have the second best record in the conference. We just shoot for the #1 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL thinking long term about making more money pry partly made this move so they can get two new expansion franchises up and running in the near future.  I think there were 28 teams when they expanded the playoffs from 10 to 12 teams.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

You could say that for several other playoff caliber teams like Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans, Minnesota etc. 

Exactly why I do not understand why so many people keep bringing up if Allen goes down. Most teams will fall off if QB1 goes down.

57 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

TNF > MNF for about the last 4 years. And it isn't close. MNF is the product that sucks and needs to go.