There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

People are still eating right?  Did we eat more chicken (not this is not a Chick-fil-A commercial) when we ate out?  People at home typically don't have the space to hold perishable food this it true however grocery stores do.  Get rid of the ***** frozen waffles and 2700 different flavors of ice cream and fill the freezers with perishable meat like chicken.  I'm not sure at all if this is what you're talking about but again people are still eating just at home and not out at restaurants.  

I think that the 75% capacity shows how much overall food waste is built into the food supply.

47 minutes ago, GG said:

That's if you think that a rural area can be fully self sufficient from end to end.  But in reality, few places will have the full complement of agri-products. 

I'm glad Tyson shined a light on this issue, because it could have spiraled very quickly.

I'd consider my little plot in Northern Idaho pretty rural, and as much as I'm surrounded by families on acres of land growing/raising  to sustain themselves, it could be very ugly if we had to be the sole source of basic food products.

That said, the difference here, and it was pretty clear when this pandemic started, is that this is not an 'every family for themselves' place.

The minute the shutdowns started, there were immediately communications going out via various social media platforms to see who needed help. I know the 'we're in it together' ads are tiresome, but that's not an ad up here. It's the way of life. So if the schitt DID hit the fan and the push was on to shut down the supply chain, I'm ridiculously grateful to be here.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I think that the 75% capacity shows how much overall food waste is built into the food supply.

I was thinking this too, but even more so how much food waste is built into restaurants vs home cooking. 

We aren't eating less, we are wasting less. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

That's if you think that a rural area can be fully self sufficient from end to end.  But in reality, few places will have the full complement of agri-products. 

I'm glad Tyson shined a light on this issue, because it could have spiraled very quickly.

We don’t buy meat in the grocery store. There are plenty of meat packers here, but when we buy a half a cow, or a whole pig, we let the farmer deal with it. We can buy chickens locally, as well as sheep, goat, rabbits, etc. 

I do think the major cities could  be in trouble without the major meat packing plant supply chains. Out here in the wilds of the ‘burbs? Not-so-much. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We don’t buy meat in the grocery store. There are plenty of meat packers here, but when we buy a half a cow, or a whole pig, we let the farmer deal with it. We can buy chickens locally, as well as sheep, goat, rabbits, etc. 

I do think the major cities could  be in trouble without the major meat packing plant supply chains. Out here in the wilds of the ‘burbs? Not-so-much. 

Also in cities think about how many people don't have freezers in apartments or confined housing.

Edited by Uncle Joe

2 hours ago, GG said:

...how much NEVER makes it to market to artificially inflate prices?.....if I remember correctly, the Feds have HUGE underground caverns in Kansas (?? not sure) where they warehouse tremendous dairy stock piles....look at Auto Nation, scurrilously filing multiple PPP applications under their several EIN's and grabbing $77 MILLION.....isn't floating the idea of a potential "nationwide food supply chain shortage" the PERFECT STORM to raise hysteria?....is food the "next toilet paper"?......hmmmmm.....

2 hours ago, GG said:

Unfortunately there is a HUGE amount built in. Restaurants are very good at controlling waste. Our margins were so thin we tried not to throw anything away.  Grocery stores on the other hand?  And think about all the "ugly" produce that doesn't even make it to the store. We eat with our eyes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how much NEVER makes it to market to artificially inflate prices?.....if I remember correctly, the Feds have HUGE underground caverns in Kansas (?? not sure) where they warehouse tremendous dairy stock piles....look at Auto Nation, scurrilously filing multiple PPP applications under their several EIN's and grabbing $77 MILLION.....isn't floating the idea of a potential "nationwide food supply chain shortage" the PERFECT STORM to raise hysteria?....is food the "next toilet paper"?......hmmmmm.....

The favorite tactic of the communist ideology is to cause starvation. The near future in terms of access to quality food could be extremely difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Notwithstanding the commentary here, the vast majority of US public doesn't have the capability to store large amounts of perishable food.  That's why it will never hit the toilet paper stage.  In the first weeks of the panic some idiots thought it would be a good idea to hoard milk & eggs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GG said:

Notwithstanding the commentary here, the vast majority of US public doesn't have the capability to store large amounts of perishable food.  That's why it will never hit the toilet paper stage.  In the first weeks of the panic some idiots thought it would be a good idea to hoard milk & eggs.

True. Still trying to figure out the nonsensical hoarding of toilet paper, though. Ongoing, but to a lesser degree. 

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'd consider my little plot in Northern Idaho pretty rural, and as much as I'm surrounded by families on acres of land growing/raising  to sustain themselves, it could be very ugly if we had to be the sole source of basic food products.

That said, the difference here, and it was pretty clear when this pandemic started, is that this is not an 'every family for themselves' place.

The minute the shutdowns started, there were immediately communications going out via various social media platforms to see who needed help. I know the 'we're in it together' ads are tiresome, but that's not an ad up here. It's the way of life. So if the schitt DID hit the fan and the push was on to shut down the supply chain, I'm ridiculously grateful to be here.

Beautiful.  That’s the human spirit in action.  Sounds cold as a bastahd in the winter though. 

And right on cue, all the NYC evening news are leading off with stories about a possible "temporary" meat shortage. 

Of course in the middle of the segment, everyone in the industry they interviewed don't think it will happen ...

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, shoshin said:

I was thinking this too, but even more so how much food waste is built into restaurants vs home cooking. 

We aren't eating less, we are wasting less. 

You think restaurants waste food?  Restaurants can’t afford to waste food. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

And right on cue, all the NYC evening news are leading off with stories about a possible "temporary" meat shortage. 

Of course in the middle of the segment, everyone in the industry they interviewed don't think it will happen ...

I expect toilet paper to be flying off the shelves tomorrow morning. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You think restaurants waste food?  Restaurants can’t afford to waste food. 

Having worked in many, yes. Especially in uneaten portions. Amount of waste depends on type of restaurant in my experience. Nicer restaurants with smaller portions had less waste in front and back. Faster food least waste in back in fact I remember only bread being regularly tossed. Buffet style (college caf) endless waste everywhere, just wasted food in stunning quantities. 

Nothing compares to home food waste in America though. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KRC said:

We had a mayor here many years ago who said free Wi-Fi was a civil right.

i know Elon Musk isn't a mayor but he apparently thinks the whole world should have the internet. his Starlink service will begin beta in three months.

5 hours ago, shoshin said:

Having worked in many, yes. Especially in uneaten portions. Amount of waste depends on type of restaurant in my experience. Nicer restaurants with smaller portions had less waste in front and back. Faster food least waste in back in fact I remember only bread being regularly tossed. Buffet style (college caf) endless waste everywhere, just wasted food in stunning quantities. 

Nothing compares to home food waste in America though. 

Restaurants can lose ahead of the meal preparation if ingredients go bad (meat, fresh vegetables) and of course diners not finishing their servings.  I've seen shameful waste in homes as a guest in other people's homes.  I'm pretty good about keeping waste minimal and the wife thinks that I am a nut for making sure all the contents of a can of soup make it into the pot/pan.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Restaurants can lose ahead of the meal preparation if ingredients go bad (meat, fresh vegetables) and of course diners not finishing their servings.  I've seen shameful waste in homes as a guest in other people's homes.  I'm pretty good about keeping waste minimal and the wife thinks that I am a nut for making sure all the contents of a can of soup make it into the pot/pan.  

If you’re looking for waste look no further than the school lunch program. My wife’s been in public education for thirty years. She tells me 90% of the food goes right in the trash! Grab the chips and drink and toss the rest....day after day after day. Nobody at the school district cares because they aren’t paying for it. The money comes from the good old federal government. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you’re looking for waste look no further than the school lunch program. My wife’s been in public education for thirty years. She tells me 90% of the food goes right in the trash! Grab the chips and drink and toss the rest....day after day after day. Nobody at the school district cares because they aren’t paying for it. The money comes from the good old federal government. 

Been that way since I was a kid a few decades ago.  Maybe in a few more decades the people who are alive then will look back and see that a lot of decisions made generations ago were idiotic to put it kindly.  

Pucking autocorrect.  Have to type fairly fast or you get an unanticipated change.  

Edited by RochesterRob

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Been that way since I was a kids a few decades ago.  Maybe in a few more decades the people who are alive then will look back and see that a lot of decisions made generations ago were idiotic to put it kindly.

I doubt it will change. It’s far easier for those on the national stage to simply throw gobs of money at an issue and then walk away thinking they did something. Of course you have to remember they’re charging your credit card for every single penny of it just so they can be seen dropping something in the offering plate as it goes by every week! 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Beautiful.  That’s the human spirit in action.  Sounds cold as a bastahd in the winter though. 

Actually, one of the reasons we chose Northern Idaho over Wyoming is it's protected by a continental divide that mostly shields it from the blistering cold and winds you see in Montana and Wyoming. So we get down in the 20s for a bit, and even into teens, but not for long, and that's it, on average. We were skiing in long-sleeved shirts near winter's end.

To give a better idea of proximity, I'm a 20-minute drive to Spokane, WA, the other reason we chose this area, because we have a nice, small international airport for when, y'know, I have to actually work for a living.

My concern is that a lot of people are going to look at this area and realize this is where they need to be when the next pandemic hits. 

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Actually, one of the reasons we chose Northern Idaho over Wyoming is it's protected by a continental divide that mostly shields it from the blistering cold and winds you see in Montana and Wyoming. So we get down in the 20s for a bit, and even into teens, but not for long, and that's it, on average. We were skiing in long-sleeved shirts near winter's end.

To give a better idea of proximity, I'm a 20-minute drive to Spokane, WA, the other reason we chose this area, because we have a nice, small international airport for when, y'know, I have to actually work for a living.

My concern is that a lot of people are going to look at this area and realize this is where they need to be when the next pandemic hits. 

Of course other people are going to want to live there and of course they will want to bring all their problems with them.  Then they will want all graveled roads paved and because they do not know how to work the lights in their vehicles they will want street lights.  When you ask them how will these things be paid for they will reply that the state covers that.  When you point out that they and yourself are the state when it comes to revenue they will shoot back a clueless look on their face.  

I remember a time where a fellow from a financial institution came out to review my parents records on their business.  This gentleman was from Tennessee and let it be known in no uncertain terms of what he thought of people from large cities and their need for far reaching government.  That he was tired of Northerners coming to his state for the low taxes all the while pushing for paved roads, street lights, etc..  Funnier encounter than what I can write here.  He even used the word Yankee once.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Then they will want all graveled roads paved and because they do not know how to work the lights in their vehicles they will want street lights.

This just popped up as a conversation on the NextDoor app for a beautiful area up here called Cougar Gulch. Mostly 10-acre plots, but you don't just drive your car there. A new owner questioned what it would take to pave the roads up there and it was more embarrassing than the time another person complained that social distancing does not mean leaving your trash cans on the road.

My hope is all the gunfire white noise you hear throughout the day triggers too many leftists to move here. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This just popped up as a conversation on the NextDoor app for a beautiful area up here called Cougar Gulch. Mostly 10-acre plots, but you don't just drive your car there. A new owner questioned what it would take to pave the roads up there and it was more embarrassing than the time another person complained that social distancing does not mean leaving your trash cans on the road.

My hope is all the gunfire white noise you hear throughout the day triggers too many leftists to move here. 

Cougar Gulch?  Sounds like the next hot destination for female Hollywood celebs approaching the age of 50 and are suddenly single.

10 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

It's all about the control, baby steps man, baby steps.

Also the part that goes unnoticed...5 thugs per perp.

Good thing you are here to notice things that go unnoticed. Funny how those baby steps have lead to California having a legit plan to open.

Edited by Warren Zevon

Mom fined $880 for standing on park pathway 'too long' with dog, baby

An Aurora woman ticketed $880 for “standing too long in a park” with her baby and dog plans to fight the fine tooth-and-nail.

Roxana (who didn’t wish to use her last name), a new mom to a six-month-old and owner to an Australian Shepherd, took her babies for a walk on April 18 around 4:30 p.m. to Edward Coltham Park near Leslie St. and St. John’s Sdrd.

She walked down one of the narrow paths in the park and pulled over her stroller and dog into a nearby gazebo to let three seniors pass. She responded to a text while her dog was at her side and baby asleep.

Once the group has passed, Roxana said she continued on the pathway, but was abruptly met by Town of Aurora bylaw officer Mario Munguia in a vehicle marked animal services. He asked her why she was in the park and if she knew the park was closed and she responded that she was walking her dog. She said he then asked for her identification, which she didn’t have on her, but cooperated with giving him other personal information.

He then wrote her a ticket for $880 for being in the closed park and that she was standing around too long – despite the town allowing the public to access trails and pathways. Officially, the ticket says the offence is “failure to comply with orders during public emergency.”

“His line of questioning was very much as if a police officer was questioning me,” Roxana, 29, told the Toronto Sun on Tuesday.

“He told me it was a zero-tolerance policy and his words verbatim was that I was standing for over two minutes. My head exploded at that point. It made me feel like I had killed someone or sold drugs or did something ridiculous.”

“He also mentioned that he was watching me from afar. I was also absolutely alone. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/made-me-feel-like-i-had-killed-someone-mom-fined-880-for-standing-on-park-pathway-too-long-with-dog-baby

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1