Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let me know when he misses games, much less because he wants more guaranteed money and not because he wants the football more.

That's a different question doc.  I already answered your first one.

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I am usually on the opposite end of this thing when the Bills dont make the trade. Saying exactly what you said - if we can get player xyz you take that over the unknown draft pick. And I am usually met with - This FO values draft picks, too much talent in the draft, thats not how you build a team, etc etc.

I was clamoring at the trade deadline to add a WR or pass rusher. I dont know how many people said we arent giving up a draft pick. I think many of those were specifically talking about Diggs and Hopkins. 

I cant even compare the Hopkins thing....I think their GM was drunk binging and just did the most stupid thing he could possibly do just cuz.

The diggs trade was more in reality....you gotta give up something in order to get soemthing.

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time with enough assets to get something done....which is what I think happened with Diggs.  How often do teams really get a true number 1 receiver in his prime get away?   Look at how much cooper ended up getting from Dallas....it was like TWICE AS MUCH

20 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

It's not just the 1st it's also a 4th, 5th and 6th. If it was for #22 alone I'd be less pissed.

Yes Mr Jokeman, and your (if exists) draft picks value chart, or scout data for rookie WRs, should be way better

than the one´s in BB´s staff possession, ?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills still have a 5th and 2-6ths.  If people think there's some HOF'er waiting to be picked in the 5th and/or 6th round, they still have a shot at him/them...

I think ppl look at what Beane was able to do with those picks last year.....it netted us a NFL DE who at the very least is good enough to be in a rotation and a solid TE in Sweeney

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The Bills still have a 5th and 2-6ths.  If people think there's some HOF'er waiting to be picked in the 5th and/or 6th round, they still have a shot at him/them...

Correct.  I think the scouting department has done great on late picks.  No visits, not pro days due to the virus imo alters their belief in knowing guys that could fit.  I assume they have a handful of guys but this isnt the year to snag 6 plus day 3 players.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well then, he'd have that in common with Diggs.

So you'd be fine trading away the Bills' 1st and 2nd rounder this year to get Jeudy or Ruggs (Lamb and Ruggs or Jeudy will go before pick 14)?  Because that's what it will take. 

Oh and Diggs is a top-10 WR.

Yep !

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think ppl look at what Beane was able to do with those picks last year.....it netted us a NFL DE who at the very least is good enough to be in a rotation and a solid TE in Sweeney

Actually, Sweeney and Johnson were 7th rounders.  But in any case, like I said above, they still have a 5th and 2-6th to get players.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Correct.  I think the scouting department has done great on late picks.  No visits, not pro days due to the virus imo alters their belief in knowing guys that could fit.  I assume they have a handful of guys but this isnt the year to snag 6 plus day 3 players.

And if there are a bunch of talented guys in the 5th and 6th round, just trade down in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Sweeney and Johnson were 7th rounders.  But in any case, like I said above, they still have a 5th and 2-6th to get players.

Sorry I left out the last part of my post.  PPL should not expect a GM to be able to hit on strarting NFL caliber players in those rounds EVERY draft.   What beane did last year was pure wizardry

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm hoping for a Diggs 2.0 in the 5th.

John Brown - 30 years old

Diggs - 26 years old

Rookie - 22ish

Nice age ladder for the WR group!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually, Sweeney and Johnson were 7th rounders.  But in any case, like I said above, they still have a 5th and 2-6th to get players.

And if there are a bunch of talented guys in the 5th and 6th round, just trade down in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds.

Right.  22 was a spot that I thought they would trade down or up.

The NFL is cutting back a lot on padded practices.  Maximum number in TC goes from 28 to 16.  During the season it's 14 max.  This will be a factor in the development of rookie WR's as their development sometimes takes a few seasons.  Add in the fact that SD is only 26, and there's not a good chance that a WR picked at #22 may not even have his ceiling it makes it seem like a pretty good deal.  If the contract was bad I'd be concerned, but before his contract ends, he will likely be well outside the top 30 WR's.  My concern is that Josh won't be able to get him the ball.  I'm not as big on his speed separation as most, and Josh will have to trust just popping it in there.  The guy runs full speed with his head on a swivel like no other, so Josh will just have to trust him and his adjustments to the ball.

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:
20 hours ago, qwksilver said:

And that's why we'll probably have to re-up the contract....

Interesting question - Diggs does have FOUR YEARS left right?, which would make it pretty crazy precedent to renegotiate so soon.

I don't think they re-do it tomorrow but he's making peanuts in comparison to others. So he'll get a raise way before the contract ends. Hopefully I'm wrong as that makes this trade even better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

you really, really should move on. The fact that you characterize the deal as “giving picks away” speaks volumes. Giving something away usually means you received nothing in return, at least nothing of value. That couldn’t be further from the truth in this case. So please, yes, move on. 

what a terrible post.  You have your shiny object just look at it and marvel some more. 

Edited by mattynh
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 947 said:

What if we had traded #22 & next years 1st to move up & grab CeeDee Lamb? Would anybody really rather have that over Diggs for #22 & a couple late picks?

That would cost two firsts like Watkins as opposed to just one this year, though. I love Lamb, but he's unproven and would need time to develop as opposed to getting an immediate #1

Everything you need to know about Diggs is that he caught 1130 yards last year in an offense that literally refused to throw the ball. They made our old “ground and pound” offense look like the greatest show on turf. 

Heck Cousins started the season with an 8 completion for 90something yard gem. 

I’m not expecting the Bills become a top-10 passing offense next year, but the Bills now have one of the best receiving corps in the league. 

They undisputedly have the best WR in the AFC East (and QB and RB *smile*)

Let yourself feel the waves of happiness wash over you for today is not the day for misery. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That's too much to give up for a guy with no guarantee of hitting.  Been there, done that.  I was resigned to the Bills either taking the best )4th or 5th) WR left or going DE at 22.  This is much better.

Eh that's the draft. I want blue chippers on offense we had none