Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

These are the kinds of catches Diggs brings to the table that we just haven't had on the team:

If we had a guy to make a catch or two like that, we beat Houston no problem. Can’t wait to watch him play for us. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SloanBillsFan said:

Not completely happy with the cost in picks. Last WR the Bills bet the farm on didn't do so well...for the Bills anyway even though he's got a ring now.. 

Serious question. What picks bother you and what would you suggest we do we them?

12 minutes ago, SloanBillsFan said:

Not completely happy with the cost in picks. Last WR the Bills bet the farm on didn't do so well...for the Bills anyway even though he's got a ring now.. 

Here’s an upside: given how much money Buffalo is spending on extensions and new contracts, and assuming that they have to pay Allen QB1 money in 2 years, won’t it be kind of fortunate that they don’t have a 1st round pick looking for top-end money 4 years from now?

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

even with this I see them doing a simple restructure. Giving some GTD money and upfront money and lowering his cap hit this year as well. Maybe tack on a voidable year on the backend. 

I just do not think immediate renegotiation is the style of Beane.  They are in a different space now than when Whaley traded for McCoy and felt compelled to immediately redo his contract for more money to make sure he was happy.  The Bills are establishing a pay for performance culture.  Very clear from their actions over the past few years.  Right now Diggs has a fair contract with 4 years remaining.  If he earns a new deal based on his performance and his blend with the team, I am sure he will get it at the appropriate time.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It always was move for the top 3 or wait until RD2; those prospects at #22 no way. He is only 26 and just entering his prime! I mean come on!

But being fair, BoB's incompetence made this look like an awful trade on our part; it was his trade that was awful

I think most people are "hoping" the guy picked at #22 or higher if trading up would be better than Diggs. Obviously no certainty but the build up to the draft is about these guys being generational talents etc. Diggs is good but not top 5 WR good which is what Lamb or Jeudy could be. 

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It always was move for the top 3 or wait until RD2; those prospects at #22 no way. He is only 26 and just entering his prime! I mean come on!

But being fair, BoB's incompetence made this look like an awful trade on our part; it was his trade that was awful

Packaging the Bills' 1st and 2nd rounders this year doesn't even get you to 13.  Is anyone confident that the top-3 WR's would be there at 14 since it's a move that would likely need to be made before the draft?  And then would any of them be a 1,000 yard receiver as a rookie, much less assured of hitting?

Yeah the only reason people are bitching is because BOB obviously had a hard-on for David Johnson and settled for a 2nd.  There is no other explanation.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A trade basically leaves the player with no guaranteed money left on his deal aside from guaranteed base salary.

A restructure is common to convert future base salary into signing bonus to add some incentives if the player wasn’t jazzed about being moved.

True bandit but Diggs has so many years left on his contract that he has a lot of guaranteed money in the details plus game bonuses.

His 2020 salary is completely guaranteed Friday.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

The funniest part is they would gladly take a WR at 20th overall, which is what the value of the picks is.  On someone wholly unproven and probably the 4th or 5th best WR in the draft.

Yeah but he wouldn't be a malcontent for at least a year or 2...

22 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Imagine if another AFC team had made the trade with the same round compensation. The cries of “ why weren’t the Bills in on this ? “ would be deafening. 

I would bet big $ that most on this board would be saying "wow, they gave up a ton for Diggs and he is not even a top 10 WR, is a head case and does not fit the process.  I am good sticking with Brown, Beasley and Lamb/Jeudy/Riggs".

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I think most people are "hoping" the guy picked at #22 or higher if trading up would be better than Diggs. Obviously no certainty but the build up to the draft is about these guys being generational talents etc. Diggs is good but not top 5 WR good which is what Lamb or Jeudy could be. 

I wanted Ruggs, but I got Diggs :lol:. I think Lamb will be better than Jeudy, but at the end of the day do I need a top 5 guy? Not so much. Diggs is a YAC monster, great route runner and quick separation - all day long I will take that; it's exactly what we need

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How in the ***** can you POSSIBLY know that.....they have not played a DOWN in the NFL

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah but he wouldn't be a malcontent for at least a year or 2...

Well then, he'd have that in common with Diggs.

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would bet big $ that most on this board would be saying "wow, they gave up a ton for Diggs and he is not even a top 10 WR, is a head case and does not fit the process.  I am good sticking with Brown, Beasley and Lamb/Jeudy/Riggs".

So you'd be fine trading away the Bills' 1st and 2nd rounder this year to get Jeudy or Ruggs (Lamb and Ruggs or Jeudy will go before pick 14)?  Because that's what it will take. 

Oh and Diggs is a top-10 WR.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How in the ***** can you POSSIBLY know that.....they have not played a DOWN in the NFL

Thats what people want and hope for...doesnt mean they are gonna get it. Just like drafting Allen vs signing a Kirk Cousins. You hope Allen will be better than a Cousins but no guarantees.

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Lol, I would doubt that. No guarantee they could get Jeudy or Lamb, even Ruggs for that matter. They are complete unknowns at the NFL level, to boot. There’s a good chance one or more of them is a bust. The team has a 3rd year QB that they need to make a decision on in Josh Allen and need to give him plug and play weapons. This was the 31 st, then 23rd ranked offense in football. They don’t have time to wait, as their window has already opened. They gave up scratch off tickets for proven talent. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Packaging the Bills' 1st and 2nd rounders this year doesn't even get you to 13.  Is anyone confident that the top-3 WR's would be there at 14 since it's a move that would likely need to be made before the draft?  And then would any of them be a 1,000 yard receiver as a rookie, much less assured of hitting?

Yeah the only reason people are bitching is because BOB obviously had a hard-on for David Johnson and settled for a 2nd.  There is no other explanation.

Tell me about it - 13ish is where I felt comfortable, but it was unlikely to be enough and then you have to jump in front of teams who will pick higher than you - does that team really want to drop down that far? Do you want to give up 1-3 or next year's 1 - if I was forced to I would have thought hard about it (and I did) those are the 3 elites. They have theast amount of question marks and need less work to be NFL ready and give Josh the best shot this year. This move saves picks, gives you exactly what we need, Diggs is proven and we can hit the ground running and really find out what we have in Allen. I didn't think a 1 would be enough. It is perfect, it really is!

You can't even compare the 2 situations due top his incompetence. Obviously no other teams were involved, because he would have ended up with a bounty of picks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well then, he'd have that in common with Diggs.

So you'd be fine trading away the Bills' 1st and 2nd rounder this year to get Jeudy or Ruggs (Lamb and Ruggs or Jeudy will go before pick 14)?  Because that's what it will take. 

Oh and Diggs is a top-10 WR.

Diggs has the head start.