Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

15 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I just do not think immediate renegotiation is the style of Beane.  They are in a different space now than when Whaley traded for McCoy and felt compelled to immediately redo his contract for more money to make sure he was happy.  The Bills are establishing a pay for performance culture.  Very clear from their actions over the past few years.  Right now Diggs has a fair contract with 4 years remaining.  If he earns a new deal based on his performance and his blend with the team, I am sure he will get it at the appropriate time.  

I am thinking more of lowering the cap hits. An easy restructuring does that. 

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Tell me about it - 13ish is where I felt comfortable, but it was unlikely to be enough and then you have to jump in front of teams who will pick higher than you - does that team really want to drop down that far? Do you want to give up 1-3 or next year's 1 - if I was forced to I would have thought hard about it (and I did) those are the 3 elites. They have theast amount of question marks and need less work to be NFL ready and give Josh the best shot this year. This move saves picks, gives you exactly what we need, Diggs is proven and we can hit the ground running and really find out what we have in Allen. I didn't think a 1 would be enough. It is perfect, it really is!

You can't even compare the 2 situations due top his incompetence. Obviously no other teams were involved, because he would have ended up with a bounty of picks

That's too much to give up for a guy with no guarantee of hitting.  Been there, done that.  I was resigned to the Bills either taking the best )4th or 5th) WR left or going DE at 22.  This is much better.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Diggs has the head start.

Really?  I haven't heard about him quitting on his team...

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

That's too much to give up for a guy with no guarantee of hitting.  Been there, done that.  I was resigned to the Bills either taking the best )4th or 5th) WR left or going DE at 22.  This is much better.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/06/vikings-fine-stefon-diggs-missed-practices

27 minutes ago, mattynh said:

They didn't mortgage the draft because they still have 7 picks?  There is no first round pick left, they gave up #22 plus 3 other picks.  That #22 is an impact player that is a bargain for 4 years with a 5th year option.  Arizona got a better player for a #2.  I would have preferred not giving up a #1.  I dont think its all that relevant how many they had, they earned those...you dont go around giving away picks because you have extra.   I think the compensation was too much but I like the player.  I will move on, nothing I can do.

you really, really should move on. The fact that you characterize the deal as “giving picks away” speaks volumes. Giving something away usually means you received nothing in return, at least nothing of value. That couldn’t be further from the truth in this case. So please, yes, move on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, people don't know nothing?  Or is it coming?

I'd believe Wawrow.  And as I mentioned, there are severe penalties for holding out.

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

any doctors on the board?  i've had a certain....issue...since last night and the commercials say after 4 hours go see a doc. will it's going on 24 hours soon.  go bills

Rub some dirt on it and take a lap.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Thats what people want and hope for...doesnt mean they are gonna get it. Just like drafting Allen vs signing a Kirk Cousins. You hope Allen will be better than a Cousins but no guarantees.

The whole problem with this?

You know what Diggs is gonna give you because he has consistantly proven it.....and he is in his prime years back to back 1000 yard seasons on a RUN FIRST team......

So.....theoretically the top 2 WR in this draft MIGHT be better then DIggs.....but in real life you KNOW what your getting with Diggs which is a number 1 NFL receiver

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah but he wouldn't be a malcontent for at least a year or 2...

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's too much to give up for a guy with no guarantee of hitting.  Been there, done that.  I was resigned to the Bills either taking the best WR left or going DE.  This is much better.

That makes two of you. :beer:

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The whole problem with this?

You know what Diggs is gonna give you because he has consistantly proven it.....and he is in his prime years back to back 1000 yard seasons on a RUN FIRST team......

So.....theoretically the top 2 WR in this draft MIGHT be better then DIggs.....but in real life you KNOW what your getting with Diggs which is a number 1 NFL receiver

I am usually on the opposite end of this thing when the Bills dont make the trade. Saying exactly what you said - if we can get player xyz you take that over the unknown draft pick. And I am usually met with - This FO values draft picks, too much talent in the draft, thats not how you build a team, etc etc.

I was clamoring at the trade deadline to add a WR or pass rusher. I dont know how many people said we arent giving up a draft pick. I think many of those were specifically talking about Diggs and Hopkins. 

Edited by ngbills

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would bet big $ that most on this board would be saying "wow, they gave up a ton for Diggs and he is not even a top 10 WR, is a head case and does not fit the process.  I am good sticking with Brown, Beasley and Lamb/Jeudy/Riggs".

But you weren’t getting Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs with those picks.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Talking about his team, doc.  Asked and answered...

Let me know when he misses games, much less because he wants more guaranteed money and not because he wants the football more.

31 minutes ago, mattynh said:

They didn't mortgage the draft because they still have 7 picks?  There is no first round pick left, they gave up #22 plus 3 other picks.  That #22 is an impact player that is a bargain for 4 years with a 5th year option.  Arizona got a better player for a #2.  I would have preferred not giving up a #1.  I dont think its all that relevant how many they had, they earned those...you dont go around giving away picks because you have extra.   I think the compensation was too much but I like the player.  I will move on, nothing I can do.

1.  No one knows what teams  also made offers for Hopkins.

2.  What impact player is there at 22?  

3.  Cost is relative.  Having the picks gained from the Bodine and Teller trades greatly eases the cost.  The value cart formaula says the value of the picks added up to 18. 

4.  One of the teams Buffalo outbid for Diggs was New England.

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I am usually on the opposite end of this thing when the Bills dont make the trade. Saying exactly what you said - if we can get player xyz you take that over the unknown draft pick. And I am usually met with - This FO values draft picks, too much talent in the draft, thats not how you build a team, etc etc.

I was clamoring at the trade deadline to add a WR or pass rusher. I dont know how many people said we arent giving up a draft pick. I think many of those were specifically talking about Diggs and Hopkins. 

...because the Bills haven't been active in FA these past 3 years, sometimes trading picks...

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

But you weren’t getting Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs with those picks.

You might not even have gotten Higgins.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I don’t think there was any talk of Hopkins being available last season at the trade deadline. There were talks of Diggs, Sanders et al. We don’t know what the price was then but you can expect it was high. Teams hadn’t had a chance to check out the draft crop at the combine yet, either. All these things were factors in making the trade now, but perhaps being more wary at the deadline. Fwiw, the Bills were one of the final teams bidding for Sanders. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

1.  No one knows what teams  also made offers for Hopkins.

2.  What impact player is there at 22?  

3.  Cost is relative.  Having the picks gained from the Bodine and Teller trades greatly eases the cost.  The value cart formaula says the value of the picks added up to 18. 

4.  One of the teams Buffalo outbid for Diggs was New England.

The Bills still have a 5th and 2-6ths.  If people think there's some HOF'er waiting to be picked in the 5th and/or 6th round, they still have a shot at him/them...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1