No fans allowed at NCAA tournaments.

Beast

It is a VERY BAD LOOK for the pros to be suspending play, but the NCAA will allow the amateurs to play in a big money making event. Heck, their SCHOOLS are mostly shut down, but they still allow the games to go on. The NCAA needs to do the right thing here. Shut it down until we know more. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

It is a VERY BAD LOOK for the pros to be suspending play, but the NCAA will allow the amateurs to play in a big money making event. Heck, their SCHOOLS are mostly shut down, but they still allow the games to go on. The NCAA needs to do the right thing here. Shut it down until we know more. 

I never understood the mania over it, filling out a bracket, and bothering strangers with it, without knowing a single player or the nicknames of 10 teams is a pathology 

Most games I attended in the first weekend were 1/3 full

The season has totally sucked, barely any players or teams worth watching if one isn’t a loyal fan of a school...

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I never understood the mania over it, filling out a bracket, and bothering strangers with it, without knowing a single player or the nicknames of 10 teams is a pathology 

The season has totally sucked, barely any players or teams worth watching if one isn’t a loyal fan of a school...

I’m a big fan of college basketball, and LOVE going to the NCAA tournament. I’m watching the Big East tournament now....wondering why they are playing. Many of the big conferences have cancelled their tournaments. 

EDIT: Big East finally cancels tournament.......at halftime of today’s first game. Somewhere Vontae Davis is smiling. :)

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

out of total curiosity, do you still not agree with the move?   i'm not trying to criticize, but rather wondering if the last few hours have changed people's opinions.

I still think it’s an overreaction. But sadly, the way it looks now, virtually everything is shutting down. I won’t be surprised if we soon end up like Italy. It’s baffling to me, because everything I’m seeing says that MOST people, even if they catch the virus, will come through it just fine. Yes, I know that people 60+ with existing health conditions are in the greatest danger, but THEY should know that, and they should be taking the most caution re where they go and who they interact with.

The silver lining is that gas is dirt cheap, and you’ll soon be able to get a load of blue chip stocks at bargain basement prices. My Ameritrade account is warmed up and standing by!

Just now, John in Jax said:

I still think it’s an overreaction. But sadly, the way it looks now, virtually everything is shutting down. I won’t be surprised if we soon end up like Italy. It’s baffling to me, because everything I’m seeing says that MOST people, even if they catch the virus, will come through it just fine. Yes, I know that people 60+ with existing health conditions are in the greatest danger, but THEY should know that, and they should be taking the most caution re where they go and who they interact with.

The silver lining is that gas is dirt cheap, and you’ll soon be able to get a load of blue chip stocks at bargain basement prices. My Ameritrade account is warmed up and standing by!

you aren’t necessarily wrong...

But this is how it is going to go for awhile

9 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Seems like a shortsighted viewpoint.

It shouldn't be "baffling."

Health care facilities have no additional capacity to handle this, so it is possible that very difficult decisions will need to be made.

This isn't a question of "most people coming through it just fine."

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

I guess we'll add this to the list of things which you don't understand the "mania" over.  Perhaps you just do not understand things that are notable or popular in general?

33 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Everything in Italy is shutting down and for absolutely no reason.  Why are heads of state acting so irrationally?  Why is everyone wrong but us?  Pure lunacy.

• Like (+1) 2

Wow. How about everybody just stay at home for the next month? Oh wait, I don’t have a months supply of toilet paper and food on hand! Please keep Wal-marts and other large retailers open! Oh wait, won’t I catch the virus there, since that will be the only places people will be going to!?

37 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Wow. How about everybody just stay at home for the next month? Oh wait, I don’t have a months supply of toilet paper and food on hand! Please keep Wal-marts and other large retailers open! Oh wait, won’t I catch the virus there, since that will be the only places people will be going to!?

Seriously!  Just let mother nature take its course.  Its just a bad cold and the at risk would be just as bad off with the flu.  Much ado about nothing!

How bad could this possibly get? I haven't done any real research but it cant possibly be as bad or costly as shutting down the country for a few weeks

• Sad 1

bull####.  My daughter is an athlete on the Ohio State Rifle Team.  Her roomate qualified as an individual for the NCAA Championship and they canceled *after* everyone was already there, had gone through the first day of registration and equipment check AND the second day practice day.  It was only two more days and everyone was already there and been mingling for two days.

One of the teams, Akron, were making their first appearance as the 5th ranked team too.  

I feel really bad for the kids that spent their entire life hoping to make it to the NCAA nationals only to have it canceled for no good reason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

That's exactly what's about to happen.  Wait till next week when the school closings begin en masse.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Seriously!  Just let mother nature take its course.  Its just a bad cold and the at risk would be just as bad off with the flu.  Much ado about nothing!

How bad could this possibly get? I haven't done any real research but it cant possibly be as bad or costly as shutting down the country for a few weeks

I don't think people (other than those who trade stocks for a living) have come anywhere near realizing how damaging all this will be to the global economy, and primarily, to working people and others who can't afford to stock a month's worth of food in the panty or wait out the eventual market recovery.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That's exactly what's about to happen.  Wait till next week when the school closings begin en masse.

I don't think people (other than those who trade stocks for a living) have come anywhere near realizing how damaging all this will be to the global economy, and primarily, to working people and others who can't afford to stock a month's worth of food in the panty or wait out the eventual market recovery.

How much healthcare can these people afford?  How many days in a hospital are in the budget?

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

bull####.  My daughter is an athlete on the Ohio State Rifle Team.  Her roomate qualified as an individual for the NCAA Championship and they canceled *after* everyone was already there, had gone through the first day of registration and equipment check AND the second day practice day.  It was only two more days and everyone was already there and been mingling for two days.

One of the teams, Akron, were making their first appearance as the 5th ranked team too.  

I feel really bad for the kids that spent their entire life hoping to make it to the NCAA nationals only to have it canceled for no good reason.

LOL. 

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

You should take the first available flight to Italy if you think what the USA is doing drastic and out to lunch.

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Look on the bright side.  If society does indeed collapse, your daughter's proficiency with firearms will prove to be a valuable survival skill in a post apocalyptic world

:beer:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Look on the bright side.  If society does indeed collapse, your daughter's proficiency with firearms will prove to be a valuable survival skill in a post apocalyptic world

:beer:

Better to be skilled in the use of a firearm and sufficiently stocked with ammo than to be over stocked with TP and none of the former.

Edited by bdutton
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bdutton said:

NO GOOD REASON.

All of the staff, athletes and family were already there for two days interacting.  There is no good reason to at that point decide to cancel.

Sure minus the fact that being around people for extended periods of time exponentially puts you at a higher risk.

Image result for exponential graph

The ACC canceled its basketball tournament in the middle of a game. ***** happens

A sports star made a mockery of the disease and infected others.

This is bigger than college athletics, its bigger than anything currently.

Looking back you will be thankful they did what they did.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, bdutton said:

And you are probably 10 times more likely to die from the common flu.  (which I just had and my wife now has).  Coronavirus has less than a 1% mortality rate (IF you get infected).

Actually , I keep hearing people say that the death rate is 10x higher for the coronavirus, but have they actually looked closely at it? Flu death rate is .01%....10 x that = 0.1%, which is still VERY LOW!

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Sure minus the fact that being around people for extended periods of time exponentially puts you at a higher risk.

Image result for exponential graph

The ACC canceled its basketball tournament in the middle of a game. ***** happens

A sports star made a mockery of the disease and infected others.

This is bigger than college athletics, its bigger than anything currently.

Looking back you will be thankful they did what they did.

89195801_1783568881777483_9137979213607862272_o.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Actually , I keep hearing people say that the death rate is 10x higher for the coronavirus, but have they actually looked closely at it? Flu death rate is .01%....10 x that = 0.1%, which is still VERY LOW!

Um math here. Let’s do some basic math. 

say real real conservative 5% of America gets infected. 

Thats what 16,850,000 cases

.01% = 168,500
.1% = 1,685,000

So you want to try again. 

5 minutes ago, bdutton said:

89195801_1783568881777483_9137979213607862272_o.jpg

For a disease that’s been Recognized in America for just longer than a month that the cdc still is not recognizing certain testing for. 

get back at me in about 2 months. But please continue to show how ill informed you are. 

12 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Um math here. Let’s do some basic math. 

say real real conservative 5% of America gets infected. 

Thats what 16,850,000 cases

.01% = 168,500
.1% = 1,685,000

So you want to try again. 

It's still low. And how many of those people would be in their 70s and 80s, people who have made it BEYOND their life expectancy!?  

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

It's still low. And how many of those people would be in their 70s and 80s, people who have made it BEYOND their life expectancy!?  

you heard it here first. Near 2 million deaths is totally fine because old people don’t matter and are a drag in society. 

Just now, CountDorkula said:

you heard it here first. Near 2 million deaths is totally fine because old people don’t matter and are a drag in society. 

Wow, way to TOTALLY make up things and assign them to me. I'm done here.

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I don’t want to break that news to my mother!