McBeane Approval Rating?

Aproval Rating of the Administration  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Through 3 years, and on the cusp of a huge offseason, where is your approval rating for the McBeane admin?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100

9 hours ago, fansince88 said:

So you come up with one player who doesnt have a name over some 40 moves that have improved the team in 3 years and thst earned 90%-? How do you rate the performance of your own job? Have you had 1 miscue? Does that reduce yourself to 90% approval by your superiors? I hope not.

Win a Playoff game and you get in the 90% rating. I was very clear why I put him where I put him. Yes trading for Kelvin Benjamin mistake. Signing Vontae Davis. Still need offense. Hiring some bad staff. Jesus even having Peterman as a Starter at one point. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I didn't vote because I need to see more success on the field.  I don't care that the FO looks "competent".  That means "nothing", especially when looking at a short time span of three years.  Tom Donahoe looked "competent" three years in as did Doug Whaley.   Beane and McDermott have looked good so far, but unless the team takes the next step -- winning playoff games --  then they aren't significantly better than predecessors.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I didn't vote because I need to see more success on the field.  I don't care that the FO looks "competent".  That means "nothing", especially when looking at a short time span of three years.  Tom Donahoe looked "competent" three years in as did Doug Whaley.   Beane and McDermott have looked good so far, but unless the team takes the next step -- winning playoff games --  then they aren't significantly better than predecessors.

This organization hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years when they got there. In the three years since they have two playoff appearances. Now its time for them to get this team to take the next step and win a playoff game (at least) or go on a run. Both Beane and McDermott have done a really good job up to this point.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

This organization hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years when they got there. In the three years since they have two playoff appearances. Now its time for them to get this team to take the next step and win a playoff game (at least) or go on a run. Both Beane and McDermott have done a really good job up to this point.

A little context here:

Doug Marrone in 2014  led them to  9-7, 2nd in the Division.  They scored more points and allowed far fewer points (4th in NFL) than 2017.  Didn't make the playoffs.  Only 5 AFC teams had losing records that season.  There were 3  9-7 AFC teams, none made the playoffs.

McD in 2017 led them to 9-7, 2nd in the Division with crappy Offense and Defense.  They got into the playoffs on a miracle play by a bad team acting as spoiler.  8 AFC teams had losing records that season.  There were 4  9-7 AFC teams.  2 made the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Going into a season with Peterman and Allen.

Benjamin.

Kroft.

These things chose me to vote 81-90.  Mostly the first one.

right there with ya. 90-100 would mean playoff wins..... and the multiple Peterman atrocities cant be ignored.

that being said I picked 81-90 as well because its been a pretty darn good 3 year run and the future looks really good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1) some posters completely overrate the “disaster” they inherit.  They were had a team that was like .500 over 3 years.  They had a qb, rb, and oline that was a top 10 scoring offense.  They created a lot of holes to “rebuild.”

2) I’d argue the 2014 team would have murdered the team that ended drought and probably beaten last year’s team.  

That said, they gave definitely laid a nice foundation.  Obviously, the key is Allen and how the y handle the young core as they get second contracts.  The schedule on paper looks much harder so this will be an excellent gauge of where the process is at this point.  I would give them an A on defensive/ STs building and a C for offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Success in the NFL is measured by wins, especially in the playoffs.   The Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995 or 1996.   New England, Baltimore,  and Pittsburgh all have as many or more Super Bowl victories as the Bills have playoff appearances in the last twenty years.   Last year's team had some unexpected gifts -- the injury to Roethlisberger and playing the Titans before they swapped QBs come to mind.  They once again failed to beat the Patriots in two tries.  They did win 10 games but then they went one and done in the playoffs because they couldn't score late in games when they needed to. 

I'm not dissing Beane and/or McDermott because they've done a decent job, but I'm not ready to annoint Beane and/or McDermott as gods for only doing marginally better than some of their predecessors at this early point in their tenure.   Measured against what other GMs/HCs around the league have done in their first three years with other organizations, Beane/McDermott are not all that impressive.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) some posters completely overrate the “disaster” they inherit.  They were had a team that was like .500 over 3 years.  They had a qb, rb, and oline that was a top 10 scoring offense.  They created a lot of holes to “rebuild.”

2) I’d argue the 2014 team would have murdered the team that ended drought and probably beaten last year’s team.  

That said, they gave definitely laid a nice foundation.  Obviously, the key is Allen and how the y handle the young core as they get second contracts.  The schedule on paper looks much harder so this will be an excellent gauge of where the process is at this point.  I would give them an A on defensive/ STs building and a C for offense.  

This is the thing for me.   Do they give Allen the support he needs to be truly successful if he's good enough?   Are they smart enough to use their cache of cap money wisely to bring in the right players and then draft the right players to make the offense better?   The Bills may make the playoffs but they aren't winning many playoff games without a significantly better offense.  This is 2020 not 2000.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I voted 81-90, and I would personally put them at 90.

I loved Beane's approach to free agency last season and he brought in some good players for us. Overall he has done a remarkable job. Yes, not every player he's brought in has been a home run, but he is doing everything he can to make the Bills a better team.

McDermott's attitude that he brings to the team is fantastic, and the players have bought into the culture. The Bills have become an exciting team to watch again, and I believe that there is a lot more to look forward to and get excited about.

To get into the 91-100 range, they have to win in the playoffs.

Also, I want to see McDermott approach the game on offense with a killer instinct. My one and only criticism of him.

I agree with your thoughts on this, your last paragraph is also a sticking point for me, through their decisions they stopped the O when it was in a role several times.

The Minnesota game was the first time I noticed them doing it, very frustrating to say the least. It is odd and “almost” like SM doesn’t want the offense to get credit for a win. 

Go Bills!!!

I went with the 71-80 option. Probably towards the higher end of that spectrum. I'd give a higher grade to McDermott than I would Beane, but altogether, I'm very happy to have them in charge of things so far.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with your thoughts on this, your last paragraph is also a sticking point for me, through their decisions they stopped the O when it was in a role several times.

The Minnesota game was the first time I noticed them doing it, very frustrating to say the least. It is odd and “almost” like SM doesn’t want the offense to get credit for a win. 

Go Bills!!!

I look back at the playoff game against Houston, and we settled for a field goal instead of going for the touchdown at the end of the first half.

The offense was moving the ball, and the Bills started that drive on their own 4 yard line. Then for some reason, we let the clock run with over a minute to go, with 2 time outs. Imagine if they had scored a touchdown on that drive. The Texans defense would have been demoralized. I was very angry that we did that, and I thought it would come back to haunt us.

Yes, the defense played bad late in the second half, but not going for a touchdown before halftime was a crucial missed opportunity that we did to ourselves.

I like McDermott a lot, but I want to see him let the offense show that it can be relied on to score at will. I want to see the offense look the way they did in the Dallas game all season.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/10/2020 at 11:17 AM, whatdrought said:

My thoughts exactly. I think I'd be in the 86-88 range if I were to narrow it even further. 

you mean like any other GM Combo when they come and start winning, by 2nd or 3rd year tenure?  like Bellysick?  ... mmmhhh  errrr. no wait, that is not a good example! ?

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I look back at the playoff game against Houston, and we settled for a field goal instead of going for the touchdown at the end of the first half.

The offense was moving the ball, and the Bills started that drive on their own 4 yard line. Then for some reason, we let the clock run with over a minute to go, with 2 time outs. Imagine if they had scored a touchdown on that drive. The Texans defense would have been demoralized. I was very angry that we did that, and I thought it would come back to haunt us.

Yes, the defense played bad late in the second half, but not going for a touchdown before halftime was a crucial missed opportunity that we did to ourselves.

I like McDermott a lot, but I want to see him let the offense show that it can be relied on to score at will. I want to see the offense look the way they did in the Dallas game all season.

At some point he is going to have to trust the offense to get it done.  The Dallas game was/is the benchmark of what needs to be a regular occurrence for our offense.

Don’t get me wrong on this, I do think SM is a good HC, but he really does need to unleash that unit and find out what they got. I fully expect Beane to hit big in FA and the draft, and that will help a lot on the offense, imo. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At some point he is going to have to trust the offense to get it done.  The Dallas game was/is the benchmark of what needs to be a regular occurrence for our offense.

Don’t get me wrong on this, I do think SM is a good HC, but he really does need to unleash that unit and find out what they got. I fully expect Beane to hit big in FA and the draft, and that will help a lot on the offense, imo. 

Go Bills!!!

What would you consider to be unleashing the offense?  Allen threw 46 times in the playoff game, and the only TD the Bills scored was a TD pass from a WR.  The Texans were the 28th ranked team against the pass, and Buffalo managed 1.7 points per possession.  I didn’t see anything conservative about the game plan.  I saw an offense that just couldn’t execute.

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

What would you consider to be unleashing the offense?  Allen threw 46 times in the playoff game, and the only TD the Bills scored was a TD pass from a WR.  The Texans were the 28th ranked team against the pass, and Buffalo managed 1.7 points per possession.  I didn’t see anything conservative about the game plan.  I saw an offense that just couldn’t execute.

I guess what I’m getting at is when Sean seems to sit on small leads, and our OC goes away from things that are working during games, yes execution is part of it, but play calling choices as well have caused us all to wonder why a given play is called at a given moment in a game. The Dallas game was the best play calling game BD had all season imo, it is incumbent upon the OC to put his players in the best position to succeed,  and I don’t believe that was always the case on offense. Jmo I guess. 

Go Bills!!!

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don't think the problems on offense stem from philosophy.  I think the offensive problems result from a lack of offensive playmakers which limits the options the coaching staff has to respond to injuries or defensive adjustments.  The Bills essentially had one QB with two reliable WRs and one reliable RB.  The rest of the skill players simply failed to consistently make plays, so if Brown or Beasley or Singletary were taken out of the game by the defense or by injury, the Bills had no reliable alternatives.  What made the Chiefs and Niners so successful in 2019 was that when opponents shut off one thing their offenses did well, they had very real, very dangerous alternatives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

I don't think the problems on offense stem from philosophy.  I think the offensive problems result from a lack of offensive playmakers which limits the options the coaching staff has to respond to injuries or defensive adjustments.  The Bills essentially had one QB with two reliable WRs and one reliable RB.  The rest of the skill players simply failed to consistently make plays, so if Brown or Beasley or Singletary were taken out of the game by the defense or by injury, the Bills had no reliable alternatives.  What made the Chiefs and Niners so successful in 2019 was that when opponents shut off one thing their offenses did well, they had very real, very dangerous alternatives.

I would also add that even the Bills reliable skill position players are not good enough. There isn't a star. There isn't a game changer.

They've done a poor job THUS far acquiring playmakers. So two things must happen. They've got to hit on their draft picks or free agents, and Allen must improve. 

This is by no means an offense ready to compete for a championship as is currently constructed. Very big offseason for BB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Why do we have to lump them together? Beane is in charge of the roster. McDermott is in charge of coaching. They have different jobs. They are different people. They should receive different grades.

He asked about the Beane and McDermott administration(McBeane). I took it as how are they doing together? You don't have to play.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:44 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t think that makes any sense. What if you like the roster but not the in game decisions? What if you like the preparedness of the team but think that the roster has major holes? We don’t say, “what’s your opinion of Hallen (Josh Allen and Jerry Hughes)?” Why, because they do different things!! There’s no reason to lump 2 people with very different roles together. 

Maybe my annoyance from this comes from my time in sports but these are very different roles. 

Then you give a lower score.

• Haha (+1) 1