Update: Dak may be franchised (offered $33M) and Cooper transition tagged = at min $43M cap hit

Dak is an elite game-manager.  I don't see him carrying a team the way Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or even Allen can.   Nothing wrong with that, but he needs an elite OL, RB, and WR's.  Paying him this much money is somewhat crazy.  On the other hand, perhaps Dallas feels they can address the other areas in the draft.  It is hard to hit on a QB like Dak in the draft.  

2 hours ago, H2o said:

This situation could play out like Kirk Cousins in Washington. Kirk killed them with that FT money in DC and wound up fleecing the Vikings for $84,000,000 worth of a fully guaranteed contract. He'll have made around $125,000,000 in 5 years between the Franchise Tags in DC and his Minny $$$. Dak could do the same to Dallas until they cave to his demands or they let him walk in FA. He holds ALL of the leverage right now imo. 

I like the Kirk comparison.  Both very good QB's making elite-level money.  

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Dak is an elite game-manager.  I don't see him carrying a team the way Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or even Allen can.   Nothing wrong with that, but he needs an elite OL, RB, and WR's.  Paying him this much money is somewhat crazy.  On the other hand, perhaps Dallas feels they can address the other areas in the draft.  It is hard to hit on a QB like Dak in the draft.  

I like the Kirk comparison.  Both very good QB's making elite-level money.  

A few things with the post:

1. I don't think we can put Josh Allen in that category at this point. We hope he can get there and he still has a high ceiling but he isn't even in the elite game manager territory. 

2. I think elite game manager is a fair description of who Dak is. He is in that 10-15 range when looking across the league. He is never going to be properly elite. 

3. The money is the money. It is market rate. He will look like an expensive overpaid Quarterback for the first two years of the deal but by year 3 he will be at market value and at year 4 he will be cheap. That is just the world of NFL QB contracts in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the franchise tag deadline coming Thursday, the Cowboys have sent a new proposal to the agent of Dak Prescott in hopes of kick-starting talks on a multi-year deal, according to a source. Russell Wilson ($35 million) and Ben Roethlisberger ($34 million) have the highest average salaries followed by Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff ($33.5 million). The Cowboys’ new proposal would likely at least be in the Rodgers and Goff neighborhood, if not more, since Prescott’s side turned down $33 million.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Farcher_todd.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer44m ago

Not sure what the details are on a new proposal, but they're still trying. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A few things with the post:

1. I don't think we can put Josh Allen in that category at this point. We hope he can get there and he still has a high ceiling but he isn't even in the elite game manager territory. 

2. I think elite game manager is a fair description of who Dak is. He is in that 10-15 range when looking across the league. He is never going to be properly elite. 

3. The money is the money. It is market rate. He will look like an expensive overpaid Quarterback for the first two years of the deal but by year 3 he will be at market value and at year 4 he will be cheap. That is just the world of NFL QB contracts in 2020. 

at some point QB pay has to come back to earth.  Otherwise, it will become increasingly difficult to win with a 2nd contract QB.  I mean, Kirk is entering yr. 3 in Minn and still looks overpaid, and is wrecking cap havoc on Minn.  

As to 1, I put Josh in a category of "can carry a team."  I'd put Josh over Dak in ranking QB's.  And I'm not a blind JA fanboy.  He needs to improve accuracy (drops aside), and leading WR's open.  But Josh has the game-winning "it" ability that Dak does not.  

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Someone Sign Cooper.  do it.  Cowboys wont be able to match and will not require compensation

Also ONE would have to be rescinded if the CBA is ratified before the start of the new year.

As others have mentioned, it think this is just the nature of the position.  If the qb is good, and there’s no better option, you almost have to pay him. A good qb may end up getting what we think great qbs should be earning. 

qbs are expensive. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, teef said:

As others have mentioned, it think this is just the nature of the position.  If the qb is good, and there’s no better option, you almost have to pay him. A good qb may end up getting what we think great qbs should be earning. 

qbs are expensive. 

How did you enjoy The Irishman?

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

at some point QB pay has to come back to earth.  Otherwise, it will become increasingly difficult to win with a 2nd contract QB.  I mean, Kirk is entering yr. 3 in Minn and still looks overpaid, and is wrecking cap havoc on Minn.  

As to 1, I put Josh in a category of "can carry a team."  I'd put Josh over Dak in ranking QB's.  And I'm not a blind JA fanboy.  He needs to improve accuracy (drops aside), and leading WR's open.  But Josh has the game-winning "it" ability that Dak does not.  

When has that ever happened? Contracts will only continue to rise, especially for QB's.

17 hours ago, Billl said:

Every Bills fan should hope that Allen turns out as good as Prescott or Cousins.

I am afraid that I must strongly disagree. Josh has 10x the arm, is stronger, and more athletic than those 2 combined.  Josh had so much talent that he was taken at #7 from a small football school.

I admit that Josh could bust out. I mean it is possible. That said, his ceiling is the Empire State Building. Kirk Cousins is a fancy journeyman.

No, I do not hope that Josh turns out as good as Cousins, but twice as good would seem almost OK.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am afraid that I must strongly disagree. Josh has 10x the arm, is stronger, and more athletic than those 2 combined.  Josh had so much talent that he was taken at #7 from a small football school.

I admit that Josh could bust out. I mean it is possible. That said, his ceiling is the Empire State Building. Kirk Cousins is a fancy journeyman.

No, I do not hope that Josh turns out as good as Cousins, but twice as good would seem almost OK.

Prescott has pretty impressive stats over the first few years of his career. He is a top 10 QB. Cousins is a good starter, but yeah you'd hope to do better, but you can win a Superbowl with him if the stars align.

14 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Ooooh somebody isn't going to be able to afford Leighton Vander Esch!... Trade for him immediately!!!!

You have the most odd takes on players and desires of a football team I've ever witnessed.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Prescott has pretty impressive stats over the first few years of his career. He is a top 10 QB. Cousins is a good starter, but yeah you'd hope to do better, but you can win a Superbowl with him if the stars align.

I do not dislike Dak. In fact, I touted him on this board when he was coming out of Mississippi State. He fell way down in the draft because of a dui, which was uncharacteristic for the kid.

That said, I don't know if I would pay him 35 million guaranteed for a few years. That would seem to be a very high risk.

As for comparing him to Josh, Dak is also a very tough guy and does have talent. Josh is a better physical specimen and has a much higher ceiling. I'm not sure that Cousins isn't already at his ceiling.

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I do not dislike Dak. In fact, I touted him on this board when he was coming out of Mississippi State. He fell way down in the draft because of a dui, which was uncharacteristic for the kid.

That said, I don't know if I would pay him 35 million guaranteed for a few years. That would seem to be a very high risk.

As for comparing him to Josh, Dak is also a very tough guy and does have talent. Josh is a better physical specimen and has a much higher ceiling. I'm not sure that Cousins isn't already at his ceiling.

I liked Dak as well.  That said, how the Cowboys handled him his first few years was almost the "anti-Josh".  Dak started with a very strong OL and a deadly run game with Zeke, that teams had to sell out to stop his rookie season.  Top 5 rush yards, 3 of his 4 years, and top-10 the 4th.  I think about his worst receiving corps was Beasley, Witten, and Des Bryant (maybe Bryant, Terrance Williams, Witten and Beasley his 2nd season).

It's like the Cowboys dropped him into the Executive VIP suite and then noticed if it was merely Preferred Customer treatment he didn't thrive as well.

• Like (+1) 1