Bills, Denver & Titans interested in DJ Reader (signed with Cin)

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As someone who believes that strength in the trenches is neck and neck with quarterback as far as "most important to a football team", I would LOVE it if the Bills signed Reader. 

That being said, I feel like Beane's MO in the past has been to sniff around lots of guys that ultimately wind up being out of their price range.

Put another way, I'll believe Beane is going to spend $12million per year on another 1T when I see it. Again, if the plan is to have him REPLACE Star, then I could see it, but in that case, I believe they would have cut Star outright rather than ask him to take a paycut.

I hope I'm wrong, because in my opinion, Reader's a beast.

Star can come off the books next off-season.  One season of overlap won't kill the cap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Star can come off the books next off-season.  One season of overlap won't kill the cap.

I think that's what a lot of people aren't taking into consideration.   It's not as if Star and Reader would be bound to play together over the next few years.  The time of reckoning for the Bills where they will have to make some more difficult roster decisions will be when it's time to structure a new deal for Josh Allen.  The Bills have some time between now and then for that to happen and the Bills are not in any sort of a cap crunch.  So while I agree with Logic that is a lot of money to tie up in the DT position, that doesn't necessarily mean it is tied up for the long-term.

My guess is that they would view Reader as a potential clear upgrade, those two could play together for a year or two and then they'd look to move on from Star.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Perhaps they’ve got a trade possibility to move Star.  That would yield a cap savings of $300k.  Upgrade to a better, younger player in a longer deal.  It’s definitely a workable plan.  The Bills might have to eat some of this season’s salary to make it happen, but it’d be worth it to upgrade.  Star’s contract was not a good one for the Bills.  They gotta pay the piper and deal with it at some point.  

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Perhaps they’ve got a trade possibility to move Star.  That would yield a cap savings of $300k.  Upgrade to a better, younger player in a longer deal.  It’s definitely a workable plan.  The Bills might have to eat some of this season’s salary to make it happen, but it’d be worth it to upgrade.  Star’s contract was not a good one for the Bills.  They gotta pay the piper and deal with it at some point.  

Star would be great for Reader to apprentice under for a year. He was brought in for veteran stability and certainly can mentor DJ a bit : )

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

NFL is evolving back to running the ball- I like me some run stuffers. 

I wouldn't say the NFL is evolving back to running however I think that the running game is becoming more intricate to offenses now. I think Star stays on the team easily. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't say the NFL is evolving back to running however I think that the running game is becoming more intricate to offenses now. I think Star stays on the team easily. 

Maybe more balanced is a better way to look at it? I would have to crunch numbers but at a glance over the past few seasons it seems there was less passes than years prior. Star will definitely be back! He was pretty solid last season.