Justin Jefferson should be our WR target at 22

DJB

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so does Beane stay pat at #22 and pick his WR guy?.....OR....with the WR class value, would he trade down to perhaps 27 to pick up an extra 2nd and still find his value?.....would he have to sweeten the pot with perhaps a 6th along with #22 to gain 2nd round extra?.....what would you do Bandit?........

I would probably be looking to move one way or another. I have something like 21 or 22 first round grades overall, and two of those are a RB and safety, which I wouldn’t ever use a 1st round pick on unless I were a RB or safety away from a SB, so I either want to go up to get a guy that is sliding to 16-20 or drop back with a team that’s in the 27-30 range.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I would probably be looking to move one way or another. I have something like 21 or 22 first round grades overall, and two of those are a RB and safety, which I wouldn’t ever use a 1st round pick on unless I were a RB or safety away from a SB, so I either want to go up to get a guy that is sliding to 16-20 or drop back with a team that’s in the 27-30 range.

I have 20 (having finally nudged Chaisson above the line) and I am with you. Either come up 4 or 5 spots or slide back 4 or 5. Because 22 is a bit of a no man's land. 

52 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

...thanks for the analysis bud........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/7/2020 at 8:31 AM, SoCal Deek said:

What happened to Shenault? A few weeks ago he was the guy (even though I’d never heard of him). Now he’s hardly mentioned even in later rounds. 

As far as I can tell it's the same thing that happened to Metcalf. Injury concerns have pushed him down the board. I'm envisioning a dream draft where we end up with Lamb by trading up in the 1st and Shenault with our original pick in the 2nd, and suddenly we have a scary passing offense this year.

Edited by HappyDays

23 hours ago, Luka said:

Much rather have Van than Justin. Van produced with a sub par QB. He is also the best route runner in this class and a former NFL player's son who is now coaching. He doesn't rely purely on athleticism, he's a student of the game and it shows in game.

Yeah. 

I was reading about him last night, and I'm pretty intrigued by his skillset.

If you look at the game today, it's not always the biggest or fastest guys that have the most success. It's often the route technicians, the guys that understand the finer details of the position, that succeed. I'm thinking about guys like Robert Woods, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Jarvis Landry, Keenan Allen, AJ Brown. 

I wouldn't want Van Jefferson to be the only wideout they add in the draft, but I'm all for having him be one of two guys added through the draft at that position.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, SCBills said:

Agreed, but it’s not Ruggs vs Lamb... It would be Ruggs vs Jefferson/Higgins etc.  

Are those guys that much of an upgrade over Duke Williams?  Maybe.  I’m not 100% sold on that though.  

I know what Ruggs can do, and while it’s a bit redundant with Brown, he would bring an absurd dimension for the defense to have to counter Allen’s arm and Brown/Ruggs on opposite sides of the field. 

You really question if 1st round WRs with all the NFL measurables you can ask for and great hands are better than 4.7 /40, couldn't get on the field "Dropsies" Duke Williams?  C'mon now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, Luka said:

Much rather have Van than Justin. Van produced with a sub par QB. He is also the best route runner in this class and a former NFL player's son who is now coaching. He doesn't rely purely on athleticism, he's a student of the game and it shows in game.

I mean, Van wasn't overly productive. Phenomenal technician/route runner, that goes without say. However, hell also be 24 before he ever plays an NFL game and is nothing special athletically, like at all.

Van would absolutely be a great complementary type WR pick if we double dip, but if you are taking Van over Justin... not a good look.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:07 AM, BillsFan17 said:

I mean, Van wasn't overly productive. Phenomenal technician/route runner, that goes without say. However, hell also be 24 before he ever plays an NFL game and is nothing special athletically, like at all.

Van would absolutely be a great complementary type WR pick if we double dip, but if you are taking Van over Justin... not a good look.

He made Phillipe Franks look like he might be a viable QB1. Enough said.

• 1 month later...

We will know in a couple of years maybe even this year if Jefferson will be as good as Diggs i know his cap hit will be a lot better & we will all see if there was anything to Diggs being a pain in the Vikings ass after this yr because if it continues it may have been a better choice to go with the rookie ...

Maybe they didn’t like Jefferson enough to take him in that spot. This was about value and immediate help, not depending on a rookie to carry the load. It’s a deep draft for WRs , and they can get one in the other rounds. Higgins was the target and had a bad Pro day. It seems they liked Lamb and Jeudy, but that was going to be an expensive move up if it happened at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe they didn’t like Jefferson enough to take him in that spot. This was about value and immediate help, not depending on a rookie to carry the load. It’s a deep draft for WRs , and they can get one in the other rounds. Higgins was the target and had a bad Pro day. It seems they liked Lamb and Jeudy, but that was going to be an expensive move up if it happened at all. 

This is exactly what happened. They were looking for a guy with a chance to be a true #1 outside receiver. A slot guy like Jefferson never fit the brief. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not a big fan of Jefferson or any of the other WR's taken at pick 22 or after. I would have probably preferred the team trade up to 16 to take a WR there. So given what was available trading for Diggs was probably the best option esp for a short term immediate impact. Grab a WR in round 3 to get someone behind Brown and Beasley and add some depth. Deep WR class no need to get one at pick 54.

Jefferson lined up at slot in 81% of the time. Furthermore, 110 of his 111 receptions were from slot. Obviously Bills isn't looking for a rookie slot receiver this season. We will know in few years whether Jefferson can develop into a NFL receiver and whether he can play outside at NFL.

Drafting him at 22 probably makes sense for Vikings since they still have Thielen, but not as much for Bills consider what Bills already have at WR.

4 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Jefferson lined up at slot in 81% of the time. Furthermore, 110 of his 111 receptions were from slot. Obviously Bills isn't looking for a rookie slot receiver this season. We will know in few years whether Jefferson can develop into a NFL receiver and whether he can play outside at NFL.

Drafting him at 22 probably makes sense for Vikings since they still have Thielen, but not as much for Bills consider what Bills already have at WR.

In 2019. In 2018 he was almost exclusively outside, and in a worse offense.