This is the year to trade down and pick up multiple Day 2 picks

Estro

Let’s start with the most obvious question in your scenario. What QB is falling to 22 that Indy isn’t taking at 13? 

The entire thing is vague and unlikely. A QB needy team to get in front of the Pats of all teams. Who MIGHT be drafting one this year in the first. Or signing a FA...or some weird rumor about trading for JG. 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My only argument against the trade down is this:   the Bills will lose two or three important starters (Alexander, Shaq and Philips) and also really could use a starting receiver.  The first round pick, even though it's relatively late in the round, offers at least a decent shot and getting a quality guy to fill one of those slots.   It's tough to give that up.  

Maybe the better point is that this is at least the year that a trade down makes more sense than a trade up.  

I'm still not exactly sure whether McBeane has caught some lightning in a bottle or if they're sustainably better at scouting/drafting than others, but its really amazing how many of his picks outside the first round have become starters in their rookie years.... Dawkins, Ford, Singletary, Knox, Milano, Taron Johnson.  Thats 6 guys in rounds 2-5 out of 12 picks.  Add in Levi Wallace and that's an astounding batting average.  Can that really keep going??

Edited by cage

10 hours ago, Estro said:

If there's one minor complaint I have with the Bills under the Beane/McDermott era its their propensity to always want to trade up in Rounds 2 & 3. Now they have hit on their fair share of players, but trading up in the draft, as a whole, has proven to be a losing strategy longterm.

This year I'm getting the sense the Bills are going to make the smart move and look to sell the #22 pick. Beane, in an interview, gave a hypothetical, but he kind of tipped his hand and admitted the strength of this draft is in rounds 2 and 3......and I think the Bills would love to be in a position position to pick 4 maybe even 5 players in Rounds 2 & 3 of the NFL draft.  How?

Glad you asked......

Trade pick #22 to a QB needy team looking to leapfrog the Patriots at pick #23.  There are quite a few teams this could apply to, but for the sake of this scenario let's use the Colts who have picks #34 & #75 (which happens to be an almost exact match on the trade value chart)

Now the Bills are sitting with picks #34, #54, #75 & #86 and #100 (via a trade up with our 4th and both 5ths, because you know they can't go a whole draft without getting an itch for a trade up)

Under this scenario you could have a 2nd day as follows:

#34 - Yetur Gross Matos (DE)

#54 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB)

#75 - Damon Arnette (CB)

#86 - Bryan Edwards (WR)

#100 - KJ Hill (slot WR)

Not likely they will trade down because the most pressing need for the Bills will be replacing Zo, Phillips and Shaq and, unlike WR, where there will be a ton available in later rounds, there are far fewer top defenders this year so they should go fast.

16 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm still not exactly sure whether McBeane has caught some lightning in a bottle or if they're sustainably better at scouting/drafting than others, but its really amazing how many of his picks outside the first round have become starters in their rookie years.... Dawkins, Ford, Singletary, Knox, Milano, Taron Johnson.  Thats 6 guys in rounds 2-5 out of 12 picks.  Add in Levi Wallace and that's an astounding batting average.  Can that really keep going??

They have done it by drafting "character."   They take good athletes, good football players, who want to work really hard every day and who believe in team.   When your team is lousy, that works.   But as you fill up your roster with those guys, at some point you need something more, you need special players.   Beane's good at finding good players in the mid-rounds, but now he has to start finding better players somewhere.

I totally disagree with the premise trading down is better than trading up.  It's true if your organization is run by a bunch of incompetent boobs (insert Nix & Whaley here), because an incompetent boob is like a blind squirrel in a field full of nuts, more nuts, better chance of finding one.  If you have a well run organization with scouts you trust, trading up makes a lot of sense.  When you trade up, you know exactly who you are getting (like when KC targeted Mahomes & we targeted Josh)  SF got Jerry Rice the WR GOAT on a trade up too.  When you trade down you are truly the blind squirrel-you have no clue who will be available when you pick.  Trade up-sure thing on the player you want, trade down- you just bought a pig in a poke.  

To the OP:  Show us the data proving a competent organization that trades down benefits more than a competent organization that trades up  I don't buy your theory & I doubt you have the data to back it up.  I'll go with logic-knowing who you are getting in the draft is better than blindly acquiring extra picks.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

We have more draft picks than spots available on the roster.  This is the perfect year to trade up, not down.

This. We do not need more depth. We need elite players that can contribute right away. We are young and not looking for guys to replace starters in a few years at most positions. Not saying you have to trade up but trading down for more picks in the later rounds makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This. We do not need more depth. We need elite players that can contribute right away. We are young and not looking for guys to replace starters in a few years at most positions. Not saying you have to trade up but trading down for more picks in the later rounds makes no sense. 

Doesn't trading up mean that we're close to 1 player away?  To move up from 22 to lets say 15, it would certainly cost our #2.  So then our next pick isn't until end of 3rd round.  I'm not convinced we should move up for WR.  Perhaps for OT.  I can see for DE as really my top wish would be Chaisson.  It seems like there's a drop-off at the position if we can't get him??  

Here's the thing, if you know about all this great talent and the benefit of trading down then odds are the other teams do too. Trading down in the end mostly comes down to luck. Is there a team behind you that wants a player that falls to your position badly enough? Given how good McBeane is at drafting I would love a trade down BUT I also know that McBeane isn't afraid to trade up for a player they like. So as much as I could see a trade down to help them acquire more picks I could also see a trade up to the 16 range if a dynamic player they loves falls a bit. 

11 hours ago, MJS said:

I'd tend to agree, but what our team lacks is elite talent. We have decent depths and decent starters all around. We need those impact players. And those types are more commonly found higher in the draft. So I think we should stay put or even trade up a few spots if a play maker falls.

I agree 100% !!

I think will need to move ahead of Philly if a WR is what will be looking for in the 1st round and I HOPE that it is !!!

4 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

i like the 2018 draft.  Pick a guy at the top and get back in and get another mid-round first.  How'd that work out?  Pretty good.  

Besides we got few holes, we need quality picks, not quantity

Exactly. We have nine picks now. After free  agency, we may have fewer holes to fill. If we didn't trade UP we may not have had the quartback of our defense and a potential all-star @ MLB. Trading up or standing pat is the answer. QUALITY>QUANTITY

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The trick in that case is finding value for your trade down.  There has to be a team - or better yet teams - that do see a difference in 22 vs mid 30s and are willing to pay for it.  Usually that points to positional importance or scheme specific players.  22 isn’t a terrible spot for that.  Elite and blue chip prospects will be gone.  Purple chip prospects will probably be running out around that pick.  Maybe we can’t trade up for one we want and there’s only one or two left that don’t fit here.  Some team will come get them.  Or maybe they run out totally and someone wants to snag a red chip QB or DE (since it’s such a poor class overall).  I’d rather get a better player, but this is a good way to go if we can’t. 

Ha!  Jinx!

I agree. To make this work there needs to be a prospect or two that falls at a position the Bill's Bill's don't need. The obvious would be QB but maybe TE, MLB or DB.  Bills are unlikely to invest first round resources in those positions.  The teams below us know that too. So they another team to cover someone at 22 and feel the need to leap past the Patriots 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

The only place you find with any certainty elite players who can contribute right away is at the top of the first round.   By the bottom of the first round you're getting guys who should be starter sooner rather later but whose value is going to be realized in their second and third years.    Look at Ed Oliver.    Top 10 pick and he didn't contribute right away - he played, but not in any way that made a great difference.  

Although the Bills actually do need more depth, what they really need is better starters at multiple positions.   And they need several, not just one or two.   Trading down creates an opportunity to get one more guy who has a good shot being a serious contributor over the next several seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

Players selected in the first 100 picks of last years drafted = 50% were considered primary starters.

Players selected after 100 of last years draft = less than 10% were considered primary starters.

Before you say its skewed by the very late round picks. Picks 101-150 = less than 15% were primary starters. 

You hear about the success stories. But no one talks about the other 90%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The only place you find with any certainty elite players who can contribute right away is at the top of the first round.   By the bottom of the first round you're getting guys who should be starter sooner rather later but whose value is going to be realized in their second and third years.    Look at Ed Oliver.    Top 10 pick and he didn't contribute right away - he played, but not in any way that made a great difference.  

Although the Bills actually do need more depth, what they really need is better starters at multiple positions.   And they need several, not just one or two.   Trading down creates an opportunity to get one more guy who has a good shot being a serious contributor over the next several seasons.  

Not just starters  we need a difference maker especially on offense , There’s nothing in the free agency , I’m not a big fan of trading up but I think this is the year to do it and grab a top WR , 

I want them to trade down every year because I am a giant nerd. 

The idea that elite talents are only found in the top 15 or so picks has been disproven so much, people need to get that crap out of their heads.

All Pro's come from every round.

Picks are lottery tickets, and the more you have, the better your odds.

I like McBeane a lot. And while I like Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Ford, Knox, they cost about 5 starters worth of picks to trade up for...

• Like (+1) 1

You “trade down” guys are setting yourself up for a major disappointment. A poster on the first page of this thread nailed it when he said this is the year to trade up. We already have 9 picks and our roster doesn’t have a lot of holes. We aren’t keeping all nine players so I expect a few trade ups to get as many top 75 picks as we can.

I just don’t think Beane is the type to sit and allow other teams to take his guy. By trading down we will be out of the running for one of the top DEs, OTs, and someone like Mims or Jefferson. That’s too risky and Beane has made a trend to go get his guys. 

I think the multiple late round picks will be trade bait.