Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Changing this update up a little. 

Here is yesterday's data for the top countries by cases

image.thumb.png.92604b9eda0d6a26f45bc3c681e5ee73.png

compared with the day before

image.thumb.png.415d75b2dc3de0b0f38db9e15958492a.png

Most countries relatively level in deaths day over day...Spain about 3-4 days in a row, Italy now going on 12 days level, and US only 3 so no trend here yet but 3 is better than 0. 

The big jump in France is due to a whole bunch of deaths being reclassified as COVID-19 related so that's not a true one day increase. Take China and Iran with the silo of road salt you see at the Cheektowaga Thruway exit. 

USA daily deaths over time. 

image.thumb.png.63546eb913e2d9e10a4bad7093489ea7.png

Pulling NYC out of this data from here, it may be leveling in deaths and hospitalizations...I will paste the charts once someone else replies in this thread and my image pasting ability is reset. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Changing this update up a little. 

Here is yesterday's data for the top countries by cases

image.thumb.png.92604b9eda0d6a26f45bc3c681e5ee73.png

compared with the day before

image.thumb.png.415d75b2dc3de0b0f38db9e15958492a.png

Most countries relatively level in deaths day over day...Spain about 3-4 days in a row, Italy now going on 12 days level, and US only 3 so no trend here yet but 3 is better than 0. 

The big jump in France is due to a whole bunch of deaths being reclassified as COVID-19 related so that's not a true one day increase. Take China and Iran with the silo of road salt you see at the Cheektowaga Thruway exit. 

USA daily deaths over time. 

image.thumb.png.63546eb913e2d9e10a4bad7093489ea7.png

Pulling NYC out of this data from here, it may be leveling in deaths and hospitalizations...I will paste the charts once someone else replies in this thread and my image pasting ability is reset. 

It does seem like the distancing is working for the most part, although we are going to see some bad times pop up in other US locales.  The hardest hit areas of Europe seem to be leveling off.  

Then it is a matter of 'whats next' once April is over, and hopefully a level of control in the hospitals across the US.  Im hoping there are a lot of smart people coming up with a master plan behind the scenes.

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It does seem like the distancing is working for the most part, although we are going to see some bad times pop up in other US locales.  The hardest hit areas of Europe seem to be leveling off.  

Some are rising like UK, where they were very late to the distancing party. The thing to watch for is when the decline comes. Because of our geography and also the staggered timing of quarantines, I think different regions of the US will hit peaks at different times. Not exactly the most insightful conclusion! 

Italy should see declines first. That's the place to watch the most. 

Then it is a matter of 'whats next' once April is over, and hopefully a level of control in the hospitals across the US.  Im hoping there are a lot of smart people coming up with a master plan behind the scenes.

I share this concern but I also know that Fauci and other smart people are telling Trump what needs to happen (massive testing and tracing). Trump has been shrewd in spooling out a mixture of hope, pessimism, and plans bit by bit so we don't freak anyone out or understate things. He's playing by the virus's rules as Fauci put it a few days ago. I have reserved opinions about Trump but overall his actions post late Feb are following the right course for the most part. I question the lack of federal response, for example, but nothing since March has yet to really bite us in the ass too much. 

The plan for coming out of this--which is still a ways off--is coming. I don't think there's any chance the administration risks multiple waves if it can help it. 

Edited by Sundancer

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Some are rising like UK, where they were very late to the distancing party. The thing to watch for is when the decline comes. Because of our geography and also the staggered timing of quarantines, I think different regions of the US will hit peaks at different times. Not exactly the most insightful conclusion! 

Italy should see declines first. That's the place to watch the most. 

I share this concern but I also know that Fauci and other smart people are telling Trump what needs to happen (massive testing and tracing). Trump has been shrewd in spooling out a mixture of hope, pessimism, and plans bit by bit so we don't freak anyone out or understate things. He's playing by the virus's rules as Fauci put it a few days ago. I have reserved opinions about Trump but overall his actions post late Feb are following the right course for the most part. I question the lack of federal response, for example, but nothing since March has yet to really bite us in the ass too much. 

The plan for coming out of this--which is still a ways off--is coming. I don't think there's any chance the administration risks multiple waves if it can help it. 

Yeah, Every evening around 6PM I religiously check out the Italy numbers.  As you know, they have leveled off and have even retracted with new cases.  From what I was told, we (I guess specifically meaning NYC and probably Washington State) are about 2 weeks behind Italy.  I realize that everything cannot fit in a neat box like that, but if NYC can start to see receding new cases around the middle parts of April, that would be a great thing, and also provide some hope and procedural data to other cities and regions that get hit later.  Then, later, in a perfect world, maybe NYC can share medical equipment and personnel.  

I think I saw that NY is slowing down as far as new case % growth by day.... but those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt because they are so guided by testing.  

NY State just jumped up again with today's data from Cuomo. 50% increase over the data posted just this morning (400 to 600 deaths in one day). That's why 1-3 day trends are not trends. Need 7-10 days before it looks like a pattern. 

The high death totals can be avoided in other Cities in my humble opinion by simply wearing a mask in publc and obeying the stay at home order. Protect the air you breath.

On a side note finding out how Covid19 airborne particulates react to steam, water vapor and other environmental changes would be beneficial If for instance steam weighs down the particles enough to cleanse the air we breath. Almost all of our indoor essential business workers are doing so with zero protection. We need to provide them with a safe work place.

Wear eye protection...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, Every evening around 6PM I religiously check out the Italy numbers.  As you know, they have leveled off and have even retracted with new cases.  From what I was told, we (I guess specifically meaning NYC and probably Washington State) are about 2 weeks behind Italy.  I realize that everything cannot fit in a neat box like that, but if NYC can start to see receding new cases around the middle parts of April, that would be a great thing, and also provide some hope and procedural data to other cities and regions that get hit later.  Then, later, in a perfect world, maybe NYC can share medical equipment and personnel.  

I think I saw that NY is slowing down as far as new case % growth by day.... but those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt because they are so guided by testing.  

Case counting is useful for prevention but it’s a bad stat as a measure of progress given how incomplete it is. Deaths and hospitalizations are better measures. They lag behind cases in time but they are more objective. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Why eye protection?  Everything I have read is this virus is transmitted thru lungs. Not other orifices like eyes and ears.

Not enough is known yet about Covid 19 to rely to much on what you may or may not read in my humble opinion Limeaid. Myself personally, someone coughing or sneezing in close proximity makes one's eyes an orifice you may want to protect IMO. Ears, perhaps not so much. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-ophthalmologist-shares-5-things-you-need-to-know-210009523.html

Why take the chance? 

Edited by Figster

Sorry, but I have to vent. Somebody needs to tell Rear Adm. Polowczyk, the Vice Director of Logistics for the Joint Chiefs, that the idea of the WPA is to INDEED to disrupt supply chains in order to get vital equipment into the hands of those that need it. Directly. There is no need for vital equipment to go to the private sector first as he said was happening yesterday. Contrary to certain opinion, the Federal government, read US Military, is INDEED a supply and shipping clerk; the very best in the world. INDEED, our logistical superiority helped win WWII for crissakes. 

And Jarod needs to understand that the states are INDEED entitled to OUR federal stockpiles. 

Brace yourself NYC, because when you run out of ventilators in a week, the death numbers are gonna spike big time. 

End rant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Question for @Hapless Bills Fan...bout 3 weeks ago before the poop really hit the fan, doctor friend of ours came to dinner and as a joke back then brought by a couple of masks..n95 masks.

couple of questions

1) I assume they are of no use to medical personel as they have been worn already...albeit just as a joke and only for a few minutes.

2) Should i wear them out when i goto the grocery?

3) Can i wear it more than once?

4) Can it be cleaned or sterilized in some manor?

Thanks is=n advance for the info

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Question for @Hapless Bills Fan...bout 3 weeks ago before the poop really hit the fan, doctor friend of ours came to dinner and as a joke back then brought by a couple of masks..n95 masks.

couple of questions

1) I assume they are of no use to medical personel as they have been worn already...albeit just as a joke and only for a few minutes.

Here's the straight scoop - filtration media (including N95 masks) actually become MORE efficient with use, right up until the point where it's too gunked up to pull air through.  Here's why: no matter what the stringency of manufacture, there will be bigger pores, and smaller pores.  The bigger pores get more airflow through them, so they get blocked up first, leaving only smaller pores open

What follows is what I do

1) If the N95 masks were worn already, the hospital won't accept them as a donation.  They have no way of telling where it has been, so no one on the hospital wants it on their face (that said, I'd ask your Dr friend if he needs them back....you never know and you could save his life if his hospital is flat out)

2) I currently wear a mask anytime I go out where I have to step into a building with people - grocery, post office, hardware store, doctor visit.  Mine isn't an N95, but it makes a seal and is better filtration than a medical mask (it's a 3M charcoal-layer dust mask)
3) I reuse it until the elastic breaks, then I put on new elastic and keep using it

4) I do not sanitize or sterilize it.  Depending upon the details of the media used, it might become more fragile or lose integrity when wet, including with a disinfectant

What I do is I remove the mask being careful not to touch the inside that contacts my face - I hold the mask against my face with one hand and pull the elastics to the front (in front of my hand). I set it in a Tupperware lined with a paper towel, being very careful not to touch the inside that contacts my face, and cover the Tupperware.   Then I deglove (yeah, I wear gloves) and scrub or sanitize my hands. (if you wear glasses, taking off a mask becomes harder.  Might need to remove glasses first or practice with a soft surface in front of you the glasses can safely land on)

If several days have passed, I figure anything on the mask is dead.  I'm not in regular contact with covid-19 patients building up a high titer on the surface of the mask, after all

If I have to wear it again before several days have passed, I glove up, pick up the mask with care not to touch the inside and the elastics behind my hand, hold it against my face, and pull the elastics gently over my head.  I position the mask so that I'm comfortable I have a good seal (glasses should not fog up when you exhale, if you're used to it you can just tell - warm air stays trapped around your nose and mouth, you feel firm contact against your face around the edges of the mask).  I wash or sanitize my gloved hands, put my eyeglasses on, and go.

LMK if questions

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's the straight scoop - filtration media (including N95 masks) actually become MORE efficient with use, right up until the point where it's too gunked up to pull air through.  Here's why: no matter what the stringency of manufacture, there will be bigger pores, and smaller pores.  The bigger pores get more airflow through them, so they get blocked up first, leaving only smaller pores open

What follows is what I do

1) If the N95 masks were worn already, the hospital won't accept them as a donation.  They have no way of telling where it has been, so no one on the hospital wants it on their face (that said, I'd ask your Dr friend if he needs them back....you never know and you could save his life if his hospital is flat out)

2) I currently wear a mask anytime I go out where I have to step into a building with people - grocery, post office, hardware store, doctor visit.  Mine isn't an N95, but it makes a seal and is better filtration than a medical mask (it's a 3M charcoal-layer dust mask)
3) I reuse it until the elastic breaks, then I put on new elastic and keep using it

4) I do not sanitize or sterilize it.  Depending upon the details of the media used, it might become more fragile or lose integrity when wet, including with a disinfectant

What I do is I remove the mask being careful not to touch the inside that contacts my face - I hold the mask against my face with one hand and pull the elastics to the front (in front of my hand). I set it in a Tupperware lined with a paper towel, being very careful not to touch the inside that contacts my face, and cover the Tupperware.   Then I deglove (yeah, I wear gloves) and scrub or sanitize my hands. (if you wear glasses, taking off a mask becomes harder.  Might need to remove glasses first or practice with a soft surface in front of you the glasses can safely land on)

If several days have passed, I figure anything on the mask is dead.  I'm not in regular contact with covid-19 patients building up a high titer on the surface of the mask, after all

If I have to wear it again before several days have passed, I glove up, pick up the mask with care not to touch the inside and the elastics behind my hand, hold it against my face, and pull the elastics gently over my head.  I position the mask so that I'm comfortable I have a good seal (glasses should not fog up when you exhale, if you're used to it you can just tell - warm air stays trapped around your nose and mouth, you feel firm contact against your face around the edges of the mask).  I wash or sanitize my gloved hands, put my eyeglasses on, and go.

LMK if questions

TY, all great info

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

couple of questions

I know you didn't ask us, but, @Augie, @Gugny, @BringBackFergy & @CountryCletus are in full agreement.  We'll be much happier if you wear the mask when you're around us.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Why eye protection?  Everything I have read is this virus is transmitted thru lungs. Not other orifices like eyes and ears.

All the virus needs is contact with a mucous membrane - nose, mouth, eyes.  That's why HCW wear eye protection.  I don't think they know of any cases where they're certain the means of infection were through the eyes, but then, they have a lot of cases where the transmission is unknown, and certainly other viruses are known to be transmitted if you touch something contaminated then rub your eyes, adjust a contact or something.

BTW advice is to NOT wear contacts for the duration, just for that reason - more frequent touching of eyes.

Ears less likely.  Maybe if you dip a cotton swab in virus laden particles and use it to clean ears.

Some references:
Standard World Health Organization advice:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth

Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/sickest-all-had-red-eyes-says-nurse-covid-19-15157170.php (25 March)

A veteran registered nurse who treated COVID-19 patients in Washington state said the sickest all seemed to have one thing in common — redness around the eyes.

"It's something that I witnessed in all of them. They have, like … allergy eyes. The white part of the eye is not red. It's more like they have red eye shadow on the outside of their eyes," Chelsey Earnest told CNN on Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention currently does list conjunctivitis or eye redness as a symptom of COVID-19.

"The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) on Tuesday updated an alert warning that, based on several reports, SARS-CoV-2 may cause a “mild follicular conjunctivitis otherwise indistinguishable from other viral causes, and possibly be transmitted by aerosol contact with conjunctiva.”

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

My wife used to be a professional tailor (she worked on some of swimsuits in SI Swimsuit issues) and still has machines.  She said if I get her material she will try to make me one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Our local Sanders grocery store is offering to shop for senior citizens with payment over the the phone. Give them your list, they bag it up and bring it out to your car so you never have to come into contact with anyone. Got a little teary eyed reading about it in the paper.

Grocery store clerks with Angel wings.

God bless them all...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

My wife used to be a professional tailor (she worked on some of swimsuits in SI Swimsuit issues) and still has machines.  She said if I get her material she will try to make me one.

Harbor Freight?  Auto Store?

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Our local Sanders grocery store is offering to shop for senior citizens with payment over the the phone. Give them your list, they bag it up and bring it out to your car so you never have to come into contact with anyone. Got a little teary eyed reading about it in the paper.

Grocery store clerks with Angel wings.

God bless them all...

The grocery store nearest my mother has been offering $5 delivery to the Seniors in her Senior Living since the start of this.  Shop over the phone, they bag it up and deliver it to the carts placed between the doors.  The concierge then brings it to the resident's door.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, Limeaid said:

Yes retail cost of chicken wings were too high.  Hopefully prices will remain low enough long enough to buy some after we cleaned out some freezer space.

My wife went to supermarket to get medication for my daughter and for her to apply for a job.

Skinless chicken wings were on sale at $.99 a pound.

I personally prefer skin on but since they will not be Buffalo Wings I guess it does not matter.

My wife will probably make teriyaki wings since it is what my daughter likes.

@Hapless Bills Fan

This makes more sense...   Cuomo is going to “ask” upstate hospitals to donate 20% of unused ventilators, with the goal of getting 500 total ventilators.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/04/gov-cuomo-clarifies-plan-to-seize-ventilators-expects-to-get-500-statewide.html

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

My wife went to supermarket to get medication for my daughter and for her to apply for a job.

Skinless chicken wings were on sale at $.99 a pound.

I personally prefer skin on but since they will not be Buffalo Wings I guess it does not matter.

My wife will probably make teriyaki wings since it is what my daughter likes.

Skinless chicken wings?

Never heard of such a thing. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

This makes more sense...   Cuomo is going to “ask” upstate hospitals to donate 20% of unused ventilators, with the goal of getting 500 total ventilators.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/04/gov-cuomo-clarifies-plan-to-seize-ventilators-expects-to-get-500-statewide.html

OK, more sense, but they still need to look at the case count as well as their testing criteria and the % positive. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, more sense, but they still need to look at the case count as well as their testing criteria and the % positive. 

Snow plows and medical supplies/equipment.  What else will downstate need besides WNY's tax money.

I have not lived in NY state since 1985 but I do not expect anything has changed.  Most people in WNY I know would rather cut out the appendix called NYC (along with its cysts including Lon G'island). Maybe NJ and PA can contribute some counties as well.

New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration.PNG 

Merge it all with Connecticut so they do not need to redesign US flag unless they want to wait until PI joins union to make even number of states.

• Haha (+1) 1