Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Just now, Steptide said:

I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks two weeks from now everything will be back to normal, and another part of me thinks 2 weeks from now nobody will be allowed to leave their house 

It is a very weird, surreal, even unsettling situation where everyone feels like they are both over-reacting and not doing enough at the same time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It is a very weird, surreal, even unsettling situation where everyone feels like they are both over-reacting and not doing enough at the same time.

That's how I feel. One one hand I need to keep some type of normalcy sonthe kids dont freakout, on the other hand I rather just fall asleep for a month. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst is what I've been doing.

https://www.americanchemistry.com/Novel-Coronavirus-Fighting-Products-List.pdf

^

list of (cleaning) products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims, maintained by the American Chemistry Council Center for Biocide Chemistries (CBC)

——————————————

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

... He said part of the reason the NBA decided to suspend play so quickly last Wednesday was to raise public awareness of how serious this situation is. I read NHL insiders saying the same thing about the NHL’s decision. ...

i just have a hard time reconciling this with their blatant disregard of the Hong Kong situation and the uproar at that particular time. there is a lack of consistency here.

mods, i don't desire for this to be political and if it is deemed to be so, please delete.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i just have a hard time reconciling this with their blatant disregard of the Hong Kong situation and the uproar at that particular time. there is a lack of consistency here.

mods, i don't desire for this to be political and if it is deemed to be so, please delete.

The Hong Kong situation was political unrest occurring in a foreign country outside the NBA's base of operations.

The Coronavirus is a life threatening disease affecting the entire world, including where the NBA is headquartered.

One is taking a side in a fight they arent involved in. The other is helping everyone stay safe (no sides to take).

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks two weeks from now everything will be back to normal, and another part of me thinks 2 weeks from now nobody will be allowed to leave their house 

i think it (officialdom's response) is going to get worse before it gets better. GUS just issued a, Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel which probably means they are going to close the US borders in a couple days.

from the link:

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have determined they are at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 or who have requested departure based on a commensurate justification.  These departures may limit the ability of U.S. Embassies and consulates to provide services to U.S. citizens.

For the latest information regarding COVID-19, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website.

You are encouraged to visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security. Please also visit the website of the relevant U.S. embassy or consulate to see information on entry restrictions, foreign quarantine policies, and urgent health information provided by local governments.

Travelers are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these Alerts to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc. In an emergency, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or call the following numbers: 1(888) 407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1 (202) 501-4444 from other countries or jurisdictions.

If you decide to travel abroad or are already outside the United States:

Edited by Foxx

Are there any experts who think things will be back to normal in a couple weeks? If so I must have missed it (but would LOVE for it to be true).

Dr. Fauci said that there is no doubt the U.S. is still in the escalation phase of this virus.

Testing still isn’t wide spread so it’s tough to properly contain. Many people still aren’t respecting the social distancing guidelines. Some states aren’t even taking any measures yet. 7 states have no bans on gathering size, no restaurant or bad closures, no state mandated school closing, etc. 

Dr. Fauci said that we will see this spread unevenly throughout the country. You’ll see states hit hard at different times (like Washington state was hit and like N.Y. is being hit right now (hospitals are being hit hard in nyc, 2 big medical ships are on the way to help with the overflow of expected cases in coming days)).

I feel like it would be an absolute miracle if things are back to normal in a couple weeks. Dr. Fauci said it’ll take several weeks just to see what impact the social distancing measures have on the virus spread. 

I pray that things go back go back to normal soon, but I am not very hopeful. 

Edited by BillsFan4

This feels strangely like a hurricane watch, but on a global scale. Everybody is worried about the same thing, watching all the news, stocking up on supplies and hunkering down.......and waiting, waiting, waiting to see what happens. 

I’ve got a dilemma and I’m curious what the educated folks here think. While we have been basically hiding here at home, we have a bath renovation and some electrical work planned. We got word from the contractor and the designer they want to start in about 10 days. I’m not crazy about bringing plumbers, electricians, painters, etc. into our house right now! These are the people I’m hiding from!  It should be less than a week of work in a relatively confined area with easy in/out access off the garage. It’s not like I’ll be working WITH them.

Am I going overboard, or is it perfectly reasonable to tell them “we’ll get back to you about a start date”. (I do want to get the work done and over with, of course.) 

Edited by Augie

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Are there any actual experts who think things will be back to normal in a couple weeks? If so I must have missed it (but would LOVE for it to be true).

Dr. Fauci said that there is no doubt the U.S. is still in the escalation phase of this virus.

Testing still isn’t wide spread so it’s tough to properly contain. Many people still aren’t respecting the social distancing guidelines. Some states aren’t even taking any measures yet. 7 states have no bans on gathering size, no restaurant or bad closures, no state mandated school closing, etc. 

Dr. Fauci said that we will see this spread unevenly throughout the country. You’ll see states hit hard at different times (like Washington state was hit and like N.Y. is being hit right now (hospitals are being hit hard in nyc, 2 big medical ships are on the way to help with the overflow of expected cases in coming days)).

I feel like it would be an absolute miracle if things are back to normal in a couple weeks. Dr. Fauci said it’ll take several weeks just to see what impact the social distancing measures have on the virus spread. 

I pray that things go back go back to normal soon, but I am not very hopeful. 

it certainly is way too early to have any sort of an accurate gauge or even a trend line at this point but...

numbers from Washington where it was first reported to have hit American shores.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1240687815219752962

it would seem there is a leveling off of numbers reported in the last two days?

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

This feels strangely like a hurricane watch, but on a global scale. Everybody is worried about the same thing, watching all the news, stocking up on supplies and hunkering down.......and waiting, waiting, waiting to see what happens. 

I’ve got a dilemma and I’m curious what the educated folks here think. While we have been basically hiding here at home, we have a bath renovation and some electrical work planned. We got word from the contractor and the designer they want to start in about 10 days. I’m not crazy about bringing plumbers, electricians, painters, etc. into our house right now! These are the people I’m hiding from!  It should be less than a week of work in a relatively confined area with easy in/out access off the garage. It’s not like I’ll be working WITH them.

Am I going overboard, or is it perfectly reasonable to tell them “we’ll get back to you about a start date”. (I do want to get the work done and over with, of course.) 

you might want to consider using a ZipWall and just shutting off the area completely. condone off that part of the house, have them install it. it is relatively cheap and easy to install. with care, it should be a pretty effective barrier. of course, only you can make the right decision for you and yours, do your due diligence before deciding one way or the other.

170426_MDK_rgb_leaving.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcAu6rD8rU

ETA: if you decide to go this route, a second barrier outside of the initial one would be my recommendation. you know, just to be doubly safe.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Foxx’s idea, If you can limit it to a section of the house that you can then clean/disinfect afterwards.

The way I look at it - I know what precautions I am taking. I know what precautions those in my household are taking. I DON’T know what precautions other people are taking. So you have to kind of have faith they are taking the recommended measures. What are they doing when they’re not working at your house? That’s my concern.

Personally, I am limiting my contact with those I don’t know/trust as much as possible. But I have high risk family members I’m in contact with daily. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I dont think youre crazy, or going overboard, but I probably wouldnt cancel them either. I think you can find a way to be safe and still get it done.

Heck, my refi is scheduled to close on Monday, so i have to go to the closing attorney's office to sign papers. I'm bringing my own pen tho!

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

ETA: if you decide to go this route, a second barrier outside of the initial one would be my recommendation. you know, just to be doubly safe.

Ah, the ol double bagger. Reminds me of college.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...by no means an attempt to politicize it...if that was my intention , I would have referenced a political party or politician.....however if, IF the reported delay with CDC is true, its policies should be reviewed well down the road so a similar delay does not happen again...……….

The structure was in place with the disbanded pandemic response team and it can be reassembled moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it certainly is way too early to have any sort of an accurate gauge or even a trend line at this point but...

numbers from Washington where it was first reported to have hit American shores.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1240687815219752962

it would seem there is a leveling off of numbers reported in the last two days?

Washington got the memo on social distancing and acted on it earlier than other places. Less public transportation. More of a work from home economy. Could be a lot of reasons for its leveling on new cases (not that a linear progression is great either). 

NY's case rise is much more dire. Same with NJ and the Philadelphia area. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Anyone listening to the Adam Silver interview on ESPN? 

He said part of the reason the NBA decided to suspend play so quickly last Wednesday was to raise public awareness of how serious this situation is. I read NHL insiders saying the same thing about the NHL’s decision. 

I do think it had a major impact on raising awareness. 

The cynic in my wonders if liability may not have been their biggest concern.

24 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

PA Governor just shut down all non life sustaining businesses as of 8 pm tonight.

Zero warning. People will not be able to pick up checks. Terrible for cashflow. Especially for shared office workers. 

The news headline says 8pm tonight. It's midnight tomorrow. Same difference though. 

Edited by Sundancer

Just now, K-9 said:

The structure was in place with the disbanded pandemic response team and it can be reassembled moving forward. 

....it's good to see that Trump (according to published reports) has asked the CDC/FDA to reduce certain standards with "fast track" being the intention.....