Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

25 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This I do not agree with. Milano has been very good, arguably great, 

Always take solace in the fact @ScottLaw was vehemently against the trades in Beane's first year, crushed him in year two and wanted him fired. So, the opposite of his opinions are generally a safe bet to be correct

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I disagree with both of you.  You arent going to be able to pay this guy 20 million dollars a year, keep White, Milano, Dawkins and Poyer and then pay Allen and Edmunds.

If they sign him for that amount it sure as hell better be for two to three years.   Keep the pipe dream alive if you want, but don't whine when they dont trade and sign the guy,

Hughes currently makes $10M a year but that is off our books after this season, and right there is half the room for Ngakoue if you are thinking long term.

We have the room to sign and keep the others as well. It will get tricky once Allen is up for re-signing, but there are plenty of teams in the NFL who pay their franchise QB and keep talent around him. It can be done.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And? 

Hes an OLB and hasn't looked great or even good at the position since his injury in 2018.... IMO they'll use a draft pick or cheaper option to replace Milano when the time comes rather than pay him. 

Milano hasn't even looked good?  

So you believe that McDermott keeps him out on the field, pretty much 100% of the time when he's not even good?   Come one Scott, we both know you don't know how to break down film on Milano and you're just throwing darts in the dark here.  You don't have film or have studied him.  

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wanted him fired? ? When was this?

Yea. I hated the Watkins trade. Notice, they are still looking for his replacement....

They are still looking for his replacement?  Are you trying to insinuate he's a #1? 

Yes, they want a #1 WR and someone who averages 47 catches a season in his 6 year career isn't a #1. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems like Jameis might end up getting pretty much frozen out of the market at least as far as starting jobs go. Kinda crazy; I think he's the best option on the market after Brady (assuming Brees isn't actually available) in the short-term and he just turned 26 a couple months ago. Tampa won't find a better option anywhere else unless Love slides to 14, and even he would be a downgrade in the short-term which is likely what Arians cares about.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Have film? 

Rewatch the games brotha.... I sometimes wonder if you even watch the games?. Focus on Milano and the LBs in general. He looked slow to diagnose and get off blocks and SLOW in general at times last season. The Philly game was probably the worsf I've ever seen him play. 

I sometimes wonder if you every played any sports in your life.    

I honestly believe you know more about the defense that McDermott because you "rewatch" the broadcast view and it doesn't matter how much actual game film he watches.

So again, McDermott is just turning a blind eye on Milano?  Milano, Hyde, Edmunds, White and Poyer are our only players that play pretty much 100% of the snaps.

Milano is a mid round rookie on his first contract who can easily be replaced....but McDermott still plays him nearly 100% of the snaps.  

Multiple people disagree with you on this but you're the one that's right?  

This is ridiculous.  The defense took a major step back when Milano was hurt.  Whether he is worth $13 million is a different question than his current role and ability on this team.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Have film? 

Rewatch the games brotha.... I sometimes wonder if you even watch the games?. Focus on Milano and the LBs in general. He looked slow to diagnose and get off blocks and SLOW in general at times last season. The Philly game was probably the worsf I've ever seen him play. 

That is rich. I’m sure you watch the games. You may want to try watching other teams and other games with other players, though. I goddamn guarantee you will find poor plays, poor series, poor entire games from even the best players in the league. 

Matt Milano is a damned good player and a major cog in this highly rated defense two years running. It will take a dominant player to replace him, so you may want to brace yourself for when that doesn’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sketchy Source, but it is an obvious move nonetheless

It's kind of weird how we have people insisting the Bills don't have enough cap space to bring in a free agent like Ngakoue and also have people arguing that we should not only bring in Ngakoue, but also roughly double the amount of money to do so by taking Foles too. A move like this would pretty much mean we're waiting on giving out the big extensions right? 

Would we need to wait one year before we could cut Foles or can the team that acquires him then immediately cut him and recognize cap savings? I can't remember exactly how it worked with the Osweiler deal.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This solves backup QB too - Bills might be interested. Oh and ... foles is a McD type 

image.jpeg.96fbdc09fc70d4881d2b9ff78529b82b.jpeg

On a serious note (and this is crazy as hell, but a fun read)

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

It's kind of weird how we have people insisting the Bills don't have enough cap space to bring in a free agent like Ngakoue and also have people arguing that we should not only bring in Ngakoue, but also roughly double the amount of money to do so by taking Foles too. A move like this would pretty much mean we're waiting on giving out the big extensions right? 

Would we need to wait one year before we could cut Foles or can the team that acquires him then immediately cut him and recognize cap savings? I can't remember exactly how it worked with the Osweiler deal.

There is plenty of $$$. Read the Thompsett article I just linked (It is nuts, but does show how much flexibility we do have)

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sketchy Source, but it is an obvious move nonetheless

The idea of Foles and Ngakoue for a 5th and eating the $ of Foles' contract is not a bad thing to me... I don't think it'll happen, but it makes a ton of sense..

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

no it was horrible Harry ?

we gave Carolina our original 3rd

Oh good! Then we definitely won that!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 12:31 PM, Seoulofstone said:

It's true that Peat had a down year, but the prior 2 seasons he was a pro-bowler, a former first rounder picked 13th overall. The point is he is 26 versus Bulaga 31. Peat isn't in the conversation for most fans but may provide great value like Spain did this year, those are the guys the Bills need to look at.

Recency bias can be one of the most misleading factors in free agency. 

I get that fans become excited about the idea of acquiring blue Chip players in free agency, but where I hope Beane wins again is that second tier of great value and fit FA.

Good post, makes sense to me. I think the comparison to Spain is a good one and I like that Peat is younger than most FA options. Cheers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The idea of Foles and Ngakoue for a 5th and eating the $ of Foles' contract is not a bad thing to me... I don't think it'll happen, but it makes a ton of sense..

Oh good! Then we definitely won that!

It makes a boat load of sense.  Bills can swallow Foles contract this year, and it will be worth it if Yannick comes with it.  Next year, Foles will be prime trade bait.  Nobody wants to touch him with his contract this year.  It's a different story after '20 season.