Golfing Bucket List

billsfanmiami(oh)

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Friends went and played the Ocean course at Kiawah, but I had something else and passed. Regret that error. Shot an 87 at Harbour Town years ago where I used to live on the 10th green. Lucky day for me. VERY lucky. 

Not a huge golfer, but walking Augusta National on a Thursday and having a beer on the Veranda at Pebble Beach were extremely memorable experiences. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Friends went and played the Ocean course at Kiawah, but I had something else and passed. Regret that error. Shot an 82 at Harbour Town years ago where I used to live on the 10th green. Lucky day for me. VERY lucky. 

Not a huge golfer, but walking Augusta National on a Thursday and having a beer on the Veranda at Pebble Beach were extremely memorable experiences. 

Been trying to get tickets in the lottery for Augusta for years. No luck yet...

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Been trying to get tickets in the lottery for Augusta for years. No luck yet...

My late MIL had friends in Columbia, SC with passes. My BIL had to drive them back after he left Thursday before heading home to Spartanburg, SC. The lanyard is good for each day and you pass them around. You don’t DARE take a cell phone in. Security will catch it and they take the pass away for the rest of the week. That would make for some VERY unhappy benefactors! 

The thing you don’t get about Augusta is the topography. I remember a par 4 where the approach shot was to a green 90’ above the ball. Like hitting to a green on top of a 9 story building. TV doesn’t fully convey that. 

The thing you don’t get about Pebble Beach is...........how beautiful God could make this planet. The bar is open to the public, and my wife had to drag me away from the veranda.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

I’ve twice played Pinehurst #7. That’s when I knew the difference between country club golf and championship golf. The rough was like hitting out of a briarbatch, the greens were so fast it would be easier to putt on a warped ice rink and the tee boxes may as well have been in the next county.  The first round was frustrating but then I just enjoyed myself the second time around. 

Edited by Max Fischer

A few years ago my wife and I saw the British Open at St Andrews. Challenging course to see the action but I didn’t mind since it’s so much fun to walk around and take it all in. It’s like a party, with food and beer everywhere, but everyone well-behaved and friendly. The weather is no joke. Walking a single hole could mean three drastic weather changes. Wife is not a golf fan but would like to go to another tournament. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The thing you don’t get about Augusta is the topography. I remember a par 4 where the approach shot was to a green 90’ above the ball. Like hitting to a green on top of a 9 story building. TV doesn’t fully convey that.

#4 at that Seven Canyons was like that. Par 3 with a tee box that sits like 70 ft above the green. Had no clue what to hit, so hard to gauge the distance. Hit a 50 deg and went over. Up and down for par though! 

4CAA0D5A-50EA-4C7D-801A-4C0106E16C76.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

#4 at that Seven Canyons was like that. Par 3 with a tee box that sits like 70 ft above the green. Had no clue what to hit, so hard to gauge the distance. Hit a 50 deg and went over. Up and down for par though! 

4CAA0D5A-50EA-4C7D-801A-4C0106E16C76.jpeg

About 95% of my limited golfing happened in Hilton Head, SC or Florida. Flat as a table. Give me elevations like that and I’m completely lost! 

My BIL’s best friend had a dad who was the golf pro at the course they lived on (Rock Hill, SC). He taught them both to golf, with my BIL the “inferior” golfer who “only” got down to a 2 handicap. The golf pro dad went to Augusta every year and sat in the same spot (I think on #5?). He went blind many years ago but still attends. Jack Nicklaus would stop to say hello and talk with him every year for decades, even after his playing days. I saw a picture from just a few years ago and it was VERY cool.  Not sure how it got started, but awesome stuff.  

The BIL’s buddy has a son who is now I think a sophomore in HS playing all over the country and getting recruited by everybody! Passing the torch! 

Funny story about the buddy, Randy. After college my BIL George was going to Europe to hop around. Randy’s family didn’t have money for that kind of thing, so he sold his car for the trip. George asked “what are you going to do when you get back?” He was told “I’ll figure it out.”  Upon return from Europe George learns he’s been accepted to medical school, where he goes and meets his wife. 

Fast forward, Randy got some old car and went to work a steel salvage business. He eventually bought the owner out and splits his time between his beach house and his other residences. He treats George to golf trips all over the country, many to exclusive places where Randy is a member. I think they even went to Ireland. How did this kid get to where he was financially head and shoulders above the two doctor family? AMAZING personality, and he does most of his business on a golf course somewhere. 

Sorry that was long, but it’s a super cool relationship. Everyone should have friendships like those guys. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Make a birdie. Anywhere

If the hole is fairly straight, and you can time the windmill just right.....you can do it!  But if it’s on #18 the ball goes right to the pro shop, so you can’t keep it as a souvenir. Sad, I know.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

If the hole is fairly straight, and you can time the windmill just right.....you can do it!  But if it’s on #18 the ball goes right to the pro shop, so you can’t keep it as a souvenir. Sad, I know.  

Thnk you for the sound advice

You certainly are filled with lots of wisdom and I will call upon you again one day ?

6 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

I played #2 at Pinehurst about 10 years ago. Hire a caddy.

I’ve been fortunate enough to play #2 four times and this advice is dead on. The greens are unreal and local advice is key. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Played #4, #7, and #8.  You could be just off the green and 3 - 4 chipping just to get back on the green.  Then you still have to putt out.  As said previously, hire a caddy if playing #2.  The Payne Stewart statue if memory serves me correct is right off the 18 green.  Main clubhouse is awesome.

Played many Pinehurst area courses during off off season.  That area is a piece of golfing heaven.

8 hours ago, eball said:

I’ve been fortunate enough to play #2 four times and this advice is dead on. The greens are unreal and local advice is key. 

Thats freaking awesome...have you played both in the old landscaping/layout and the new?

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Played #4, #7, and #8.  You could be just off the green and 3 - 4 chipping just to get back on the green.  Then you still have to putt out.  As said previously, hire a caddy if playing #2.  The Payne Stewart statue if memory serves me correct is right off the 18 green.  Main clubhouse is awesome.

Played many Pinehurst area courses during off off season.  That area is a piece of golfing heaven.

We used to do our golf trip to Pinehurst as well early spring ..played many a course there..and left a few dollars in the Gold Club too! Never played any of the Pinehurst resort courses though..to many economic ranges in our group and drinking beer, betting and just crushing each other was the real goal of those trips.

I was at the 99 Open there as well..long story but that Sunday was the day after No Goal, I was freaking miserable, they did not start selling beer to noon, stopped selling beer at 5PM,Its was rainy and cold,  i watched Payne's putt in a field next to 18th green on an inflatable projection thing..it sucked. Its When i realized i like golf trnys better on TV..

In terms of great courses i have played, really comes down to just a few.

Kapalua 

BallyBunion

( both of the above for free with wifes work, and with rentals) 

Congressional

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thats freaking awesome...have you played both in the old landscaping/layout and the new?

Three times old, once new...they did a great job with the "renovation" (which was really a restoration of the original).

On 2/24/2020 at 9:07 PM, stevestojan said:

Taking my dad to Augusta for Sunday of the Masters this year. Passes were NOT cheap (you actually rent passes, sign a contract longer than my mortgage to get them) but he’s a huge golf fan and got me into the game. Should be a cool trip. 

Not that it can begin to offset the cost of admission, but once you get in pay attention to the cost of concessions. It’s not like your typical sporting event where they are trying to rake you over to optimize revenue. Heck, didn’t they skip TV commercials one year? The members of Augusta National already have most of the money in the world, they don’t need ours. You can get a beer and a sandwich at very affordable prices. 

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

got to play Glen Abbey a half dozen times through work, lost my focus around the 12th hole every time, it was too much for my skill level.

It’s funny, but in a typical round of golf I’m checked out around hole #12. Nine isn’t quite enough, and 18 is too much. Serious golfer have told me some courses are being built with somewhere between 9 and 18 holes. I’ve never seen one, but I hear that is/will be a new option. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Not that it can begin to offset the cost of admission, but once you get in pay attention to the cost of concessions. It’s not like your typical sporting event where they are trying to rake you over to optimize revenue. Heck, didn’t they skip TV commercials one year? The members of Augusta National already have most of the money in the world, they don’t need ours. You can get a beer and a sandwich at very affordable prices. 

It’s funny, but in a typical round of golf I’m checked out around hole #12. Nine isn’t quite enough, and 18 is too much. Serious golfer have told me some courses are being built with somewhere between 9 and 18 holes. I’ve never soon one, but I hear that is/will be a new option. 

Thanks Augie. My dad worked for 41 years at HSBC downtown. Let’s just say he wasn’t “passionate” about that job.  But he did it to pay for everything our family of six had and to pay for all my sisters and me to go to college. He loves golf. LOVES IT. Shot his first hole in one several years ago; it was in the Buffalo news :)  I got very lucky with work and make enough where I can afford to take him. 

So, last year for Father’s Day, I sent him a plane ticket to Atlanta. He called and said “what the ***** is this?” I already had the passes set up, an Airbnb, and everything else set up. According to my sisters and my mom, it took him weeks to stop talking about how excited he was to go. 

This post sounds like I’m bragging for being a good son. Far from it. My 74 year old Dad deserves to walk Augusta National and have Pimento cheese samdwhich and a beer on Masters Sunday. 

And yes, if he knew how much I spent, he’d

pretend to be pissed off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Thanks Augie. My dad worked for 41 years at HSBC downtown. Let’s just say he wasn’t “passionate” about that job.  But he did it to pay for everything our family of six had and to pay for all my sisters and me to go to college. He loves golf. LOVES IT. Shot his first hole in one several years ago; it was in the Buffalo news :)  I got very lucky with work and make enough where I can afford to take him. 

So, last year for Father’s Day, I sent him a plane ticket to Atlanta. He called and said “what the ***** is this?” I already had the passes set up, an Airbnb, and everything else set up. According to my sisters and my mom, it took him weeks to stop talking about how excited he was to go. 

This post sounds like I’m bragging for being a good son. Far from it. My 74 year old Dad deserves to walk Augusta National and  have Pimento cheese samdwhich and a beer on Masters Sunday. 

HA! I almost specifically mentioned the pimento cheese sandwich. I had one, but thought it might gross out some northern folks! I just looked it up, the sandwich was $1.50 last year and you could get a beer for $4. Not exactly Super Bowl prices. 

Obviously, follow the rules! They do NOT tolerate nonsense.  Cell phones stay in the car. 

22 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

This post sounds like I’m bragging for being a good son. Far from it. My 74 year old Dad deserves to walk Augusta National and have Pimento cheese samdwhich and a beer on Masters Sunday. 

That's a DOPE story. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

They do NOT tolerate nonsense.  Cell phones stay in the car. 

This will be the best day of my life...........cheap cheese sando's and beer, zero cellphone access, and no running to get to the next spot. 

HELLO, FRIENDS.

Image result for jim nantz hello friends gif

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That's a DOPE story. 

This will be the best day of my life...........cheap cheese sando's and beer, zero cellphone access, and no running to get to the next spot. 

HELLO, FRIENDS.

Image result for jim nantz hello friends gif

I’m not one to over-sell (unlike my wife, yet somehow it’s always works for her!), but this was a super cool bucket list item. I don’t need to go on a Sunday, though the excitement would be amazing. Having lived for years on the Harbour Town course I know golf is better viewed on TV.  You get to see all the action from all over the course. 

BUT, seeing Augusta National is MUCH better than seeing the golf. If the crowds are lighter, I’d love to see a practice round. Friends did that when we lived in Hilton Head, and I never made it happen. I also failed to see the Kentucky Derby or Indy 500 once during my Cincinnati days, though friends were smart enough to make each at least once. 

Live and learn, and enjoy when you are in the midst of it! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great stories! Thanks folks. Mine doesn’t measure up, but I’m happy I was able to make it happen. Some of you know my semi-retirement gig is Security at The Players Championship, Ponte Vedra, FL. My charming, gregarious character (No, Really! I get PAID for that gig!) has endeared me to the muckity mucks who run the show -notably, the Top Dawg who owns an ocean front mansion and rides his golf cart to work every day. He said the 5 minutes we spend chatting at 6am are his favorite part of the day! So, I put it to him that my best bud is an avid golfer, club memberships for decades and shoots near Par every time out, while being 59 y/o. I asked him what the price for 2 to play the main course (Island 17th!) was and he quickly said “let’s get past the tournament, then hit me up! I’ll set him up with one of our 2somes for a Round! WOOHOO! So, Mrs.81 & I were invited to my buds house for steaks on the grill last Saturday night and as I’m preambling this story, he catches on quick ‘I like where I think this is going!’. Should be a fantastic time! I suck at golf so I’ll just meet him at the clubhouse afterward. Tiger tearing up TPC pales in comparison to how I’d ‘tear it up’..

Fyi, things have shifted into high gear here with the tournament just a couple weeks away. 18 wheelers bringing in tv cameras/stages/Corp sponsor booths, staff increases, workshops on rules etc., gardening contractors every day as the course has been shut down now for prep.

I love my job!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Half a dozen invites are still out there if I can legit break 85 at a decent course, not going to happen as I don’t play these days

not sure why people would want to embarrass themselves on a course they have no business playing

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Great stories! Thanks folks. Mine doesn’t measure up, but I’m happy I was able to make it happen. Some of you know my semi-retirement gig is Security at The Players Championship, Ponte Vedra, FL. My charming, gregarious character (No, Really! I get PAID for that gig!) has endeared me to the muckity mucks who run the show -notably, the Top Dawg who owns an ocean front mansion and rides his golf cart to work every day. He said the 5 minutes we spend chatting at 6am are his favorite part of the day! So, I put it to him that my best bud is an avid golfer, club memberships for decades and shoots near Par every time out, while being 59 y/o. I asked him what the price for 2 to play the main course (Island 17th!) was and he quickly said “let’s get past the tournament, then hit me up! I’ll set him up with one of our 2somes for a Round! WOOHOO! So, Mrs.81 & I were invited to my buds house for steaks on the grill last Saturday night and as I’m preambling this story, he catches on quick ‘I like where I think this is going!’. Should be a fantastic time! I suck at golf so I’ll just meet him at the clubhouse afterward. Tiger tearing up TPC pales in comparison to how I’d ‘tear it up’..

Fyi, things have shifted into high gear here with the tournament just a couple weeks away. 18 wheelers bringing in tv cameras/stages/Corp sponsor booths, staff increases, workshops on rules etc., gardening contractors every day as the course has been shut down now for prep.

I love my job!

If you see my mom, dad, sister, and BIL there give them a hard time ?.  They'll be there on Sat and Sun.  (My sister / BIL live in Jax Beach, parents at The Villages)

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t have a lot of crazy courses that I’ve played. I’d say the nicest are out in Arizona. I play the course here that hosts the tournament a few times a year. My friends always play the week after with the stands up. That sounds pretty cool.

I do have some good golf events. I was there when Justin Leonard hit the putt at the Ryder Cup in 1999. That’s pretty high on my list of favorite sports moments that I attended.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My brother paid for my dad and grandpa and me to go down to pinehurst for a few days and play. He got a villa there and it was really nice. I love that you can walk around with your spikes in any part of bars etc. and when you are ready to go play a course they will shuttle you over there and if you have your tee times booked, the clubs will be there waiting for you ready to go. We played 4 courses, #2 and #9 I remember specifically, I think the other two were #7 and #4.

We did get a caddy to help find the balls, distances and for tips on #2, and I would recommend that, it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Because playing Bethpage Black from the tips and shooting 127 would STILL be fun to me!

you’d think so, but once you lose your composure, usually after 12 holes on a good day,  it’s just hazard to hazard and there is nothing good about it if you simply aren’t competent to play a tough hole of golf

For work we would take clients to a great public course, it hosted the Canadian Open recently, and they would have a black cloud above and surrounding them most of the day while muttering to themselves