Where Would CJ Spiller Go In 2020?

Flip Johnson

People are making judgement based on his NFL career.  Coming out of college he was the highest rated offensive player and most explosive player in the draft.   Top end RB prospect have still gone early in drafts.  Spiller would still be a first round pick and probably top 20 player still.

So keeping it about his college career and how he was graded as a prospect he is still a first round pick, especially since his type of play As a dual threat RB whose explosive is even more coveted in today’s NFL.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

Wasn’t the Spiller pick a result of somebody wanting a “water bug” running back?  Was it Ralph Wilson who said that?  I think he was picked higher than he should have been because of a pick for a need (possibly a misguided need).  

2010 was about the time when a running back was transitioning away from being considered as an elite part of a team. Running backs who can move the pile five yards after contact are currently in demand, and they are not first round talent. 

Remember when Mike Ditka traded away his entire draft for Ricky Williams in 1999.  How times have changed. 

It wasnt Ralph.  Chan made the comment. 

• Like (+1) 1

If C.J. Spiller, exactly as he was coming out of college, was in the 2020 draft, I'd expect him to go sometime in the 2nd or early 3rd round (given some of the other talented RBs available in this class). If we are looking at a generic draft occurring now compared to 10 years ago, I'd say he'd have a chance to go late 1st. In the 2018 draft, if guys like Rashaad Penny and Sony Michel were late 1st round picks given who they were as prospects at the time, I think C.J. Spiller would've been right up there in that discussion if he was also part of that draft class.

Edited by Tommy

In the 2020 draft I think Spiller goes to Miami at pick 18.  He was a highly regarded RB coming out, and I think he'd go slightly before DeAndre Swift in the 2020 draft.  (although teams of course would come to regret that).  

Redo of 2010 draft: 

I think Spiller goes to the Chargers at #11.  In this scenario, Spiller reminds the Charges of LT who just left (went to Jets for 2010), and the Chargers took RB Ryan Mathews a few picks after us.  

I think/hope in this redo scenario we trade down and draft Dez or Demarius.  Or Earl Thomas, or JPP, or D. Morgan.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is correct. The Bills had good RBs. Spiller was considered the top skill player in that draft class at the time. He was maybe a luxury for the Bills but he definitely wasn’t over drafted as a prospect. That’s about where experts thought he’d go. In fact, MANY had him off the board before the Bills picked. 

I have a WAY bigger issue reaching on Torell Troup than taking the luxury pick in Spiller.

adjusted for today’s drafting style he might slide a bit in 2020s class but not wildly. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

We've seen great prospects go high at RB lately, and I think Spiller was seen as a great prospect. He may not have been Barkley or Elliot, but I think he was considered near that level of a prospect. 

Your memory is accurate.  I remember people talking about him as a sub 4.4 forty version of Marshall Faulk.  The hype train was definitely rolling for CJ.  The Bills definitely did not need a running back at the time.  His selection was a poor choice by a bad management group.

6 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Most people knew in the moment and everyone can see in hindsight that CJ Spiller was a luxury pick at #9 in 2010.

The way the RB position has been re-valued in today's NFL, where would a Spiller-type player get picked now, ten years later? Third round? And speaking specifically of the Bills I would love to see them draft a guy like Spiller - just not at #9. If the Bills could find an explosive RB to play behind Singletary that could also give you something out of the backfield and in the return game, that would be a huge addition.

The 2010-12 Bills had a thousand issues, but the Jackson/Spiller backfield was fantastic - it was Spiller's draft position (esp. compared to Fred as a UDFA) and relatively low usage that caused so much discontent among fans. The complement was excellent and I'd like to see a similar thing again.

meh...1 year in the top 10 (2012).

Anywaay, there have been 5 RBs drafted in the top 10 in the last 5 years and 4 of them are bruisers (at least 5' 11"  220lbs).  The only one who wasn't is McCaffrey who had more rushing yards (nad nearly as many total yards from scrimmage) in his last 2 years at Stanford, than Ant Man had in his 4 year career at Clemson.

The chance that Spiller would go in the top 10 in a 2020 draft is zero point zero.

Man, that last half of the 2012 season was one of the most dominant stretches I’ve ever seen from a Bills Rb.  I believe he was a 1st rounder in every fantasy draft the next year.  I definitely was a luxury pick (of course, Lynch was having major issues and that was before we knew what F Jax was).  But in turns of talent, he was easily a 1st round pick because he seemed like he could do everything.  

I think the knock was that he was a great guy but he really struggled to learn the playbook and he may have had a learning disability.  I was genuinely shocked he didn’t have a better NFL career.

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Lets not forget, the guy had 1700 yards and 8 touchdowns in a season. He just could never stay healthy/play on a decent team. 

The converse is that he had one pretty good year. As a top 10 pick. 

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Man, that last half of the 2012 season was one of the most dominant stretches I’ve ever seen from a Bills Rb.  I believe he was a 1st rounder in every fantasy draft the next year.  I definitely was a luxury pick (of course, Lynch was having major issues and that was before we knew what F Jax was).  But in turns of talent, he was easily a 1st round pick because he seemed like he could do everything.  

I think the knock was that he was a great guy but he really struggled to learn the playbook and he may have had a learning disability.  I was genuinely shocked he didn’t have a better NFL career.

There was a debate at one point of Jamaal Charles vs Spiller. It didn’t last long but it did exist.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

oy....

I think you forget how big a prospect Spiller was. 6' 200 pounds, extremely explosive and a good reciever. He was called the best offensive weapon in the draft hands down

Ran a 4.38

He would never make it out of the top 20 picks of any draft. He had elite traits

I'm not talking the CJ Spiller we knew, the 21 year old prospect would be a first round pick in any draft

Edited by Buffalo716

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think you forget how big a prospect Spiller was. 6' 200 pounds, extremely explosive and a good reciever. He was called the best offensive weapon in the draft hands down

Ran a 4.38

He would never make it out of the top 20 picks of any draft. He had elite traits

I'm not talking the CJ Spiller we knew, the 21 year old prospect would be a first round pick in any draft

no

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no

5'11 3/4 and 198 lol he was 197 and the combine and most certainly didn't lose weight

He was actually jacked and bulked since his Clemson days. Not a bell cow but not small. Super lean

Edited by Buffalo716