Tag for Phillips?

BillsMafi$

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What are the deadlines for tagging a player and getting a long term deal done?

IF we tag Phillips, I see it mostly as a way to keep him in our building and have exclusive negotiating rights with him. More so than a tag-and-trade, or tag and pay him 1yr/$16M.

I mean, not really. I was actually just putting it up for a reference point.

There are still other options than paying him $16M. We could use it to buy time to work out a long term deal. And "worst case" pay him the tag amount which we can afford with our crazy amount of cap space, and worry about replacing him next year.

Tags have to be issued by March 10th.

I like Phillips but I don't think he is worth tag value.

Not by a long shot.  But that's just me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We could do both and still have $60M in cap left over.

And Harry is coming back to split time with Star at the 1-tech spot. Jordan rotates at 3-Tech with Ed.

And if you consider both Ed and Harry are on Rookie deals, and Star just took a paycut, it isnt a ton of money to have invested in the Interior DL overall. I'm all for spending in the trenches.

So you are ok with the one year tag for Phillips or looking for a longer deal? 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Issued by March 10th, but don't they have some time after that to get a long term deal done before the player and team is stuck with the 1 year tag?

As soon as Phillips signs the tag (which he would break his legs running to do that) it's a done deal.

The team then can try to trade up until I believe June.

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

So you are ok with the one year tag for Phillips or looking for a longer deal? 

I'm ok with either. I'd like to get a longer deal done, as would the team and player, I assume.

IIRC, a team can tag a player but then has a window to also get a long term deal done. Or do I have that backwards.

At 15 + million dollars, NFW, is he tagged, it would be better to give him 7 or 8 million a year for two years...

if the money is right we should resign Shaq and Jordan, but that’s in Beane’s capable hands...  

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm ok with either. I'd like to get a longer deal done, as would the team and player, I assume.

IIRC, a team can tag a player but then has a window to also get a long term deal done. Or do I have that backwards.

I can go either way on Phillips. Ultimately I trust Beane. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Issued by March 10th, but don't they have some time after that to get a long term deal done before the player and team is stuck with the 1 year tag?

Yes, July 15th.  I'll add a few more lines to the off season dates post.

19 minutes ago, GG said:

That would be insanely out of character for Beane

Thank you. 

That is my impression too: the guy says what he means, and means what he says. 

He's CAREFUL about what he says sometimes and people read into it....but my take on Brandon Beane is that when he comes out and says something, you can bank on i

• Like (+1) 1

I just can't see the Bills using the franchise tag on Jordan Phillips.

Although I would love to bring him back, I believe his market value is in the $6-7 million per year range. 

Free Agency is crazy, and it's possible that a team throws out $8-9 million.  But I would be very surprised to see him getting a double-digit offer.

With that in consideration, it makes zero sense for Brandon Beane to give him $15-16 to lock him up for just one year.  

Using the tag as a tool to control the situation has long been underutilized by this organization.  Belichick used the tag on his PK twice and a back-up QB.  They have the cap space to apply the tag and still be able to sign other free agents.  Even if Lawson or Phillips played 2020 under the tag amount they would still have plenty of money to spend.  

I of course don't think either is worth that amount of money but being able to avoid a long term commitment, a signing bonus, and the dead cap hit if they were to be released later makes a lot of sense - even if the one year amount of cash is higher than you would want to pay.  

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

As soon as Phillips signs the tag (which he would break his legs running to do that) it's a done deal.

The team then can try to trade up until I believe June.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, July 15th.  I'll add a few more lines to the off season dates post.

Ok, so we CAN tag him by 3/10 and still work out a long term deal before 7/15. Thank you.