where is the NFL going with women coaches?

stuvian

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

while I'm generally supportive of diversity initiatives this one strikes me as the most loopy. Do we really expect a woman who has never played the game with men to be able to come in and lead a team to a SB? I'm all in favour of women holding strength training, nutrition, medical, financial, administrative and managerial positions. I recall that Ralph Wilson's late daughter was a respected football scout. Georgia Frontiere was a SB as an owner and there are several franchises now led by women as we saw in the SB. I just don't see that translating over to coaching.

Women have no part in raising, teaching, coaching, or managing men, in my opinion.  Back in my day boys were all raised by two dads.  We went to all boys catholic schools. The teachers were men, the lunch ladys were men, and even the nuns were men.   This new generation has been molly coddled by women.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am of the belief that one does not need playing experience in order to be a successful coach/leader.

Love for, and knowledge of, the game is what's necessary - as well as being able to effectively communicate with the players.

I think women likely enter an NFL coaching opportunity behind the 8-ball, due to some players' pre-existing beliefs and/or skepticism.

It will probably take one female coach of a very successful unit, and (of course) TIME, for them to be more naturally/immediately accepted.

Like any line of work, my hope is for teams to simply hire the best person for the job.  I love seeing this barrier being broken.

nah.  This is social engineering on full display. You may get lucky and find a women that is adequate but you would have had to pull a affirmative action move to make it work. Move her ahead of thousands of dudes more qualified that have actually been on the front lines. 

Personally, I could never respect or follow a coach that hadn't been there and experienced it. Womens football or hockey or whatever don't count because that is bad football and bad hockey.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i'd say playing with a severe injury in the NFL is a much more physically gruesome thing to do than anything to do with Mom

mom ain't playing with a fractured leg against people stomping on it every chance they get

mom never had to get out there against violent and filthy opponents with her hamstring or quad torn and rolled up in a little ball near the other joint

the heaviest and meanest mom ever wouldn't last two seconds on an NFL field trying to impose her will battling a torn or strained ACL.

Oh, I guess you're taking this seriously...

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Keep being your best self, man. That's all that matters.

that's okay, i'll find a topic you show concern over and will be a total dick towards you  :D

there's a few in your history...

Look, I'm all for diversity and inclusion.  I think women are fully capable of leading nations, heading multi-national corporations, managing billion dollar funds and doing so as well as their male counterparts.  But the notion that a woman could effectively communicate with a modern adult man and effectively coach a game played by children is preposterous.  I mean, what's next, serving in the military?  Also, driving.  Very bad drivers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i hope you're all into safe spaces, emotional support animals, and more transgender bathrooms, because this is where this world is headed.

My 2 year old genderqueer pansexual daughter just turned to me and said, "Daddy, a feminism that rejects trans women is no feminism at all: it's an exclusionary philosophy borne out of the patriarchal, bigoted notion that one's genitalia determines their gender and forces women to continue to be subservient to men under the guise of 'equality.' Feminists should demand equal rights for trans women, including full access to women's restrooms and safe spaces like domestic violence shelters.  Tell your friend teef I said so."

I could only respond, "dentists aren't friends, sweetie."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3