where is the NFL going with women coaches?

stuvian

while I'm generally supportive of diversity initiatives this one strikes me as the most loopy. Do we really expect a woman who has never played the game with men to be able to come in and lead a team to a SB? I'm all in favour of women holding strength training, nutrition, medical, financial, administrative and managerial positions. I recall that Ralph Wilson's late daughter was a respected football scout. Georgia Frontiere was a SB as an owner and there are several franchises now led by women as we saw in the SB. I just don't see that translating over to coaching.

This is a silly argument because you don't need playing experience to help out in all phases of game day preparation.   

As an aside, I was p''d off about the fanfare that the 49ers assistant got, when Cardinals & Bills were at the forefront of hiring female assistants.  

I am of the belief that one does not need playing experience in order to be a successful coach/leader.

Love for, and knowledge of, the game is what's necessary - as well as being able to effectively communicate with the players.

I think women likely enter an NFL coaching opportunity behind the 8-ball, due to some players' pre-existing beliefs and/or skepticism.

It will probably take one female coach of a very successful unit, and (of course) TIME, for them to be more naturally/immediately accepted.

Like any line of work, my hope is for teams to simply hire the best person for the job.  I love seeing this barrier being broken.

• Like (+1) 2

they have zero business on that field.  keep them in food services where they are at their best.  

if i was a pro athlete, and a woman coach tired to instruct me, i'd be all..."oh yeah?  did your ***** tell you to say that?"  

then i'd do what a male coach  instructed me to do.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

10 minutes ago, teef said:

they have zero business on that field.  keep them in food services where they are at their best.  

if i was a pro athlete, and a woman coach tired to instruct me, i'd be all..."oh yeah?  did your ***** tell you to say that?"  

Would you tell her to get in the kitchen and make you a sandwich?

Isn't the old saying 'Those who can Do, those who can't Teach?' Some of the better coaches in sports were guys that weren't very good players. Look at Hockey, the greatest player was a failure as a coach. 

Looking at some of the newer coaches in the league, some are almost as young as the guys they are coaching. Many of them either didn't play or had very short unsuccessful careers as players.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Are all Super Bowl winning coaches former NFL players? 

Pretty simple equation...if ya can teach and motivate, who cares what gender you are??

as an added bonus, maybe some folks who have never played the game would not be as stuck in the "if we can't get 2 yards going up the middle with our big guys, we don't deserve to win" old school football guy mentality.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, teef said:

She'd probably recommend to wave your UDFA ass.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would you tell her to get in the kitchen and make you a sandwich?

Isn't the old saying 'Those who can Do, those who can't Teach?' Some of the better coaches in sports were guys that weren't very good players. Look at Hockey, the greatest player was a failure as a coach. 

Looking at some of the newer coaches in the league, some are almost as young as the guys they are coaching. Many of them either didn't play or had very short unsuccessful careers as players.

that would be disrespectful.  women can actually teach.  if i ever need advice on use of a tampon, i'll call a woman.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

She'd probably recommend to wave your UDFA ass.

and she'd be wrong...because she's a woman.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, teef said:

that would be disrespectful.  women can actually teach.  if i ever need advice on use of a tampon, i'll call a woman.

and she'd be wrong...because she's a woman.

We all know you don't need any advice on how to use a tampon.

In any case, a real man can figure it out on his own while the woman cleans and takes care of the kids.

• Haha (+1) 1

coaching requires one to convince players to dig deep and on occasion bring forth a level of commitment and drive close to be willing to die for the effort

i assume pro football is the top team sport with the number of times  and depth-levels of this kind of request

and credibility is a big factor in this convincing

Edited by row_33

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

coaching requires one to convince players to dig deep and on occasion bring forth a level of commitment and drive close to be willing to die for the effort

i assume pro football is the top team sport with the number of times  and depth-levels of this kind of request

and credibility is a big factor in this convincing

Being a mom is the toughest job in the world and every mom is willing to die for their kids. 

Boom.

Cred.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

We all know you don't need any advice on how to use a tampon.

In any case, a real man can figure it out on his own while the woman cleans and takes care of the kids.

if you give us time, we can accomplish anything!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

while I'm generally supportive of diversity initiatives this one strikes me as the most loopy. Do we really expect a woman who has never played the game with men to be able to come in and lead a team to a SB? I'm all in favour of women holding strength training, nutrition, medical, financial, administrative and managerial positions. I recall that Ralph Wilson's late daughter was a respected football scout. Georgia Frontiere was a SB as an owner and there are several franchises now led by women as we saw in the SB. I just don't see that translating over to coaching.

That's not what Polian said....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Being a mom is the toughest job in the world and every mom is willing to die for their kids. 

Boom.

Cred.

i'd say playing with a severe injury in the NFL is a much more physically gruesome thing to do than anything to do with Mom

mom ain't playing with a fractured leg against people stomping on it every chance they get

mom never had to get out there against violent and filthy opponents with her hamstring or quad torn and rolled up in a little ball near the other joint

the heaviest and meanest mom ever wouldn't last two seconds on an NFL field trying to impose her will battling a torn or strained ACL.

Edited by row_33

I severely doubt that you NEED to play football at a decently high level (say, in the NCAA) to be a successful coach.  That being said, I also severely doubt you develop the knowledge base and language necessary to coach football without having the drive to learn it that really can only come from playing it at a high level.  Perhaps more importantly, you don't develop credibility with the players very quickly without having played it at a high level.  Will there be exceptions?  Maybe, but they're called exceptions for a reason. 

The NFL as we know it will likely die off before a woman is a successful head coach or coordinator.