Michigan St can't find a head coach - why not Daboll

CorkScrewHill

Unlike many I do not hate Daboll, but he is definitely focused on becoming a head man. Michigan St has been turned down by a lot of coaches at this point and Daboll did serve as a Graduate Assistant for them back in the 90s (colleges seem to care about that sort of thing) and has good college coaching experience.  While I do not hate him I would be mildly happy to see if the Bills could get a more innovative offensive mind to counter act McDermott (who I am very high on but he needs to be saved from her conservatism some times).

Interested in other thoughts .. though if this is considered a lame topic I am fine with it being closed :)

I don’t think he would see that as a good opportunity. Bad AD, no talent, heavy lift recruiting wise, possible sanctions, have to try to win in the big 10 East with a program that lacks any juice. Also would need to find decent coordinators this late in the game would be impossible . 5 years ago, and maybe 5 years from now, could see him seeing that as an upward trajectory. Right now he’d be nuts to give up a NFL coordinator job to take over that burning tire fire. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Youzz guys are so subtle in your opinions ..  ?

I’m sure some of you would like to see him be re-assigned to a retail position at Macy’s.   :)

I’ll hope he and the rest of the staff can continue to develop. I don’t like change unless it’s abundantly clear it’s necessary. I’ll wait and see, with fingers crossed. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Unlike many I do not hate Daboll, but he is definitely focused on becoming a head man. Michigan St has been turned down by a lot of coaches at this point and Daboll did serve as a Graduate Assistant for them back in the 90s (colleges seem to care about that sort of thing) and has good college coaching experience.  While I do not hate him I would be mildly happy to see if the Bills could get a more innovative offensive mind to counter act McDermott (who I am very high on but he needs to be saved from her conservatism some times).

Interested in other thoughts .. though if this is considered a lame topic I am fine with it being closed :)

Yeah, because McDermott will have no say in who his next O-coordinator is and have no say in how aggressive the offensive play calling will be.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m sure some of you would like to see him be re-assigned to a retail position at Macy’s.   :)

I’ll hope he and the rest of the staff can continue to develop. I don’t like change unless it’s abundantly clear it’s necessary. I’ll wait and see, with fingers crossed. 

I see change as constantly necessary. But not for changes sake. You only choose to make changes when you have a clear upgrade.

Don't only keep Daboll because you could do worse, but don't fire him because you think you can do better. You have to know it.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

But who replaces Daboll?  I’m open to ideas as I am not a huge fan, but no one ever says <blank> would be a better option than Daboll.  Who’s on your shirt list to replace him, Daboll critics?

Yeah there aren’t many unemployed innovative minds sitting around in February 

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'll pack his lunch.  

Careful what you volunteer for.  This is no small task...

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

But who replaces Daboll?  I’m open to ideas as I am not a huge fan, but no one ever says <blank> would be a better option than Daboll.  Who’s on your shirt list to replace him, Daboll critics?

The XFL is supposed to be the NFL's farm system at some point...sooo let's test that out, or at least get the system kickstarted

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I don't think it makes sense for Daboll. One more year and if he makes the Bills offense..mediocre then he can write his ticket in the NFL. His pedigree and then taking an awful offense up to bad and then mediocre would have him generating a lot of buzz. Given that he projects to returns most of his starters or possibly upgrade them and the continuity of a 3rd year, his prospects look better in Buffalo look much better than trying to turn around a program in flux where you need a bigger name than Daboll's to pull in recruits.

MSU is in a world of hurt. Colleges typically make coaching changes early/mid December, often before they play a Bowl game. It has to be that way in order to set the recruiting schedule and rate the HSers. 

Its pretty damn late for the NFL too. Nothing but scraps left to try to form a coaching staff.