Favorite ESPN 30 for 30 documentary

Since I work mostly from home now, I just play a documentaries in the background as I'm on my computer.

I've been bing watching the 30 for 30's.  

Obviously I love the 4 Falls of Buffalo because it relates to me/us the most but there's been a few that were really well done.

Right now my two favorites are "The Two Escobars" and "Tommy". 

Tommy Morrison....man it was sad to see his final days.  The dude liked women....that's for sure.

Pablo Escobar destroyed Colombian soccer...that dude definitely left a trail.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Pablo Escobar destroyed Colombian soccer...that dude definitely left a trail. 

My takeaway is that it went much deeper than just Escobar.  The drug money built it, and when that collapsed so did the soccer.  But yes, that is easily one of the top two or three installments in the series.

The U was also fantastic, a retrospective on one of the great decades of college football and one of the great (and most controversial) dynasties.

Pony Excess and Requiem for the Big East are also high on my list.

Edited by KD in CA

"Broke" is a great one.

"Requiem for the Big East"

"Once Brothers"

"Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL" (Trigger warning for all our Trump worshipers though. Spoiler Alert: It was another bad Trump business deal that killed it)

"The U"

"Pony Excess"

"Catching Hell"

Those are probably my favorites. But they really are ALL good.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

"Broke" is a great one.

"Once Brothers"

"Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL" (Trigger warning for all our Trump worshipers though. Spoiler Alert: It was another bad Trump business deal that killed it)

"The U"

"Pony Excess"

"Catching Hell"

Good call on USFL (Trump totally killed it) and Catching Hell, which was a jarring look into the mind of an angry mob.  Pretty frightening actually.

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My takeaway is that it went much deeper than just Escobar.  The drug money built it, and when that collapsed so did the soccer.  But yes, that is easily one of the top two or three installments in the series.

The U was also fantastic, a retrospective on one of the great decades of college football and one of the great (and most controversial) dynasties.

Pony Excess and Requiem for the Big East are also high on my list.

It it definitely went much deeper.  I just wanted to put a one liner down for it.  

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Broke" is a great one.

"Once Brothers"

"The U"

"Pony Excess"

"Catching Hell"

I watched Catching Hell yesterday.  

I think I'm going as Bartman for Halloween next year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

After living through it as an impressionable adolescent, I cant bring myself to watch The Four Falls of Buffalo and probably never will. I dont need to re-live that.

I'm sure it's good. But I just can't.

There's tough moments that you have to re-live but it's worth a watch because the Bills win it all at the end.  Don't you love a happy ending?

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There's tough moments that you have to re-live but it's worth a watch because the Bills win it all at the end.  Don't you love a happy ending?

I hated it.  The whole thing was about how these Bills never quit - and then they quit in the second half - with the scored tied - of Super Bowl 28. 

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

After living through it as an impressionable adolescent, I cant bring myself to watch The Four Falls of Buffalo and probably never will. I dont need to re-live that.

I feel the same way.

"Requiem for the Big East" is a great one and I really liked "Catholics vs. Convicts"...the whole story on how that guy hustled the t-shirts was very entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny my college aged daughter had a class that discussed “ Broke” last week and she asked for our ESPN+ login so she could watch. This child has never watched a damn game of any sport start to finish. 

It really is a great lesson and a lot of good advice for everyone to hear. Not just young athletes with tons of cash.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You should watch it, it's well done. Hard to watch but still with a lot of grace towards the players and city.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fantastic Lies, the story of the Duke Lacrosse team rape scandal is great.  Gut wrenching stuff.

I really like a lot of them, but this one stands out for me...............The stripper/accusor at the end - at a press conference "I just wanted justice" - after she was proven to have made it up.  How does that make any sense?!? 

31 minutes ago, bbb said:

I really like a lot of them, but this one stands out for me...............The stripper/accusor at the end - at a press conference "I just wanted justice" - after she was proven to have made it up.  How does that make any sense?!? 

I honestly think she was a crack baby or something.  I felt bad for her because I think the Lawyer really screwed with her mind.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Broke" is a great one.

"Once Brothers"

"The U"

"Pony Excess"

"Catching Hell"

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Good call on USFL (Trump totally killed it) and Catching Hell, which was a jarring look into the mind of an angry mob.  Pretty frightening actually.

I'm not putting the demise of the USFL all on Trump, there were other things that were done by that league that did them in.

Does "O.J.: Made in America" count as a 30 for 30? Because if it does, that is an excellent one.

I also enjoyed "Small Potatoes", "Catholics Vs. Convicts", "Nature Boy", The Baltimore Colts Marching Band, and the one about Jimmy the Greek.

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not putting the demise of the USFL all on Trump, there were other things that were done by that league that did them in.

Does "O.J.: Made in America" count as a 30 for 30? Because if it does, that is an excellent one.

I also enjoyed "Small Potatoes", "Catholics Vs. Convicts", "Nature Boy", The Baltimore Colts Marching Band, and the one about Jimmy the Greek.

Watch the USFL doc. It's clear what happened. Donnie bought his way in figuring it would be his way into an NFL franchise. He did his usual MO: tank the company and then sue someone else. They settled for $1 and the damage to the USFL was already done. He's interviewed in the doc and walks off in a huff. But I digress...

OJ: Made in America is part of the 30 for 30 series, but I prefer the doc titled "June 17th, 1994" which chronicles all the amazing things that happened in sports on one crazy day and also the White Bronco chase.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You almost have to, man.  It's a part of us.

The next time the Bills reach the Super Bowl I'm going to watch it the day before.

Edited by eball

52 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I believe it does....which given the breadth of the subject matter probably makes it the best one of all.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I am the same. Everyone says it’s great; I can’t get myself to watch it.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think she was a crack baby or something.  I felt bad for her because I think the Lawyer really screwed with her mind.

You're a better person than me.  

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watch the USFL doc. It's clear what happened. Donnie bought his way in figuring it would be his way into an NFL franchise. He did his usual MO: tank the company and then sue someone else. They settled for $1 and the damage to the USFL was already done. He's interviewed in the doc and walks off in a huff. But I digress...

OJ: Made in America is part of the 30 for 30 series, but I prefer the doc titled "June 17th, 1994" which chronicles all the amazing things that happened in sports on one crazy day and also the White Bronco chase.

I saw the USFL documentary, as I said there were other circumstances that doomed that league. Expanding to other cities in it second season was a dumb move, some of the original teams had to move to other cities in order to stay viable.

Putting all of the blame on Trump(and he does deserve blame) for the league folding is too easy of a cop out. There were other things that were wrong with that league.

"June 17th, 1994", was fascinating. I love how that particular documentary has no narrative. It just shows you all of the events as reported.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh I think she's a bad person too...she created this mess.  I just think the Lawyer played on it and took it too far and used her as a puppet.

That statement was what made at what appeared to be a press conference made me hate her.  You can't just want justice for something that didn't happen and was proven not to have happened!  

• Like (+1) 1

"The Best That Never Was"

and

"Nature Boy"

I like all of them but some are better than others. These two are my favorite.  The story of Marcus Dupree is something I wasn't very familiar with and I thought it was really well done.  "Nature Boy" was great too and Ric Flair was the man when I was a kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I thought that one was very good. Amazing everything in sports that happened that day.

Edited by dhg
  • Like (+1) 1