Slithering Towards Dictatorship

Kemp

On 2/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, Kemp said:

The frothing loon will no doubt tell us of some unfounded theory he has gleaned from another frothing loon on Twitter. The crazed villagers, with their flaming torches proudly held high, will lap it up and make their usual pithy comments

82646075_o.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When Trump is re elected and he will, in the first 90 days you will here talk of increasing time limits past 2 terms. The founding fathers agreed that citizens could carry assault rifles, and did not say 8 yrs max. An internal enemy will be identified, Duck Dynasty guys will blame this group for loss of hunting grounds, Taco Bell will be punished as being non American and Rush L Will be made US Ambassador to UN.

Putin will coach him and Kim will party in the Whitehouse. Trump will proclaim his border wall is greater than the Berlin wall.

Or the dems win the election and Bernie bankrupts the country in 24 months.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

When Trump is re elected and he will, in the first 90 days you will here talk of increasing time limits past 2 terms. The founding fathers agreed that citizens could carry assault rifles, and did not say 8 yrs max. An internal enemy will be identified, Duck Dynasty guys will blame this group for loss of hunting grounds, Taco Bell will be punished as being non American and Rush L Will be made US Ambassador to UN.

Putin will coach him and Kim will party in the Whitehouse. Trump will proclaim his border wall is greater than the Berlin wall.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Through November 15, the Trump administration had filed 29 eminent domain suits tied to border-wall construction this year, up from 11 each of the past two years, according to federal court records. All but four of this year's suits were filed in Texas. Eminent domain is the right of a government to seize private land for public use, while providing compensation.

I think you are trying to show how Trump has taken rights but eminent domain has existed since the beginning of our country and using to secure our border is an appropriate use of it. I am more of the mindset that taking away my right to go to the doctor of my choosing, or take away my right to choose where my child goes to school.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

If the 2020 elections go against Trump and he claims that the election was rigged and refuses to accept the results, will you support him in his actions?

I understand that it falls into the unlikely category, but replying with a non-answer would be saying you would back him. 

The only answer that does not endorse a dictatorship would be to reject his assertion and agree that he must leave.

You should probably change your name to someone who was not a reasonable politician- maybe become pelosi or Schiff. Trump will not have the backing of anyone of importance to stay, so he will leave. When Trump wins will you accept it or will I have 4 more years of hearing about the popular vote as Dems lie to smear him? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Through November 15, the Trump administration had filed 29 eminent domain suits tied to border-wall construction this year, up from 11 each of the past two years, according to federal court records. All but four of this year's suits were filed in Texas. Eminent domain is the right of a government to seize private land for public use, while providing compensation.

Eminent domain was/is used to build the interstate highways that we all enjoy.  By some of the best D gleaming presidential examples too (FDR, JFK).  I'm not sure where the outrage can even be kindled here.

Edited by ScotSHO

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Another poster said Trump had not taken anything away from private citizens.

So, the government can steal your property if they think it's a good thing. Yeah, I'm sure you would be fine with that if it was your property.

They do it every day. Do you think I volunteer a portion of my earning to fund npr, or planned parenthood, or to send to Ukraine to line the pockets of the well connected.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Eminent domain was/is used to build the interstate highways that we all enjoy.  By some of the best D gleaming presidential examples too (FDR, JFK).  I'm not sure where the outrage can even be kindled here.

...eminent domain for border wall construction....would NOT be necessary if Ellis Island was still in business for LEGAL immigration like it was for both sets of my grandparents, right?.....who changed the rules?....Trump?......

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You should probably change your name to someone who was not a reasonable politician- maybe become pelosi or Schiff. Trump will not have the backing of anyone of importance to stay, so he will leave. When Trump wins will you accept it or will I have 4 more years of hearing about the popular vote as Dems lie to smear him? 

I already suggested to that pos that he should change his name and avatar to someone more in line with his thinking. I think I suggested "Tiberius2". As far as imminent domain goes I think we should take over the Canadian falls since it's only defended by people like Niagara Bill. Like shooting fish in a barrel, taking candy from a baby or besting Bob in Michigan in anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabrecrazed said:

Good....I can't think of a better use of eminent domain than border security. Also, Mexican cartels have bought a good deal of border property. So the chance is good that they are forcing the cartels to sell it back. 

...why but you're UN-American wanting to protect our country.....what the eff EVER happened to Ellis Island and THE legal way like both sets of my grandparents from Italy endured?...who changed the rules and why?.......and neither EVER had EBT cards, food stamps, GOOBERment assistance....WTF was welfare?...they found work and persevered as to whatever it took to raise families.....no Escalades either..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When Trump wins will you accept it or will I have 4 more years of hearing about the popular vote as Dems lie to smear him? 

Haha. That’s funny!

Even if Trump wins the popular vote, he already stole our votes by asking Ukraine to meddle. He will do it again, dontcha know. 

I wish we could go back to 2012 when I could just vote for whomever I wanted without being brainwashed by Trump and his foreign brainwashers.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

I have a life with people and am not glued to a keyboard.

Maybe you should spend more time here. Reading your neurotic fear mongering rants, I'm sure the rational people in your life would appreciate the respite.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, snafu said:

Haha. That’s funny!

Even if Trump wins the popular vote, he already stole our votes by asking Ukraine to meddle. He will do it again, dontcha know. 

I wish we could go back to 2012 when I could just vote for whomever I wanted without being brainwashed by Trump and his foreign brainwashers.

I know you are being sarcastic- or I am pretty sure you are- but I have a co-worker who basically said that 2020 is already illegitimate because of it, so you do a great impersonation of a liberal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.  When over 80% of us want term limits, why isn't there a strong grass roots movement to push current office holders at the national level to support term limits?

At least sign the petition at www.termlimits.com

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

Another poster said Trump had not taken anything away from private citizens.

So, the government can steal your property if they think it's a good thing. Yeah, I'm sure you would be fine with that if it was your property.

Trump is so evil, he started using eminent domain as far back as 1876.

Here are just a few examples of his tyrannical avarice: 

"The 1930s brought a flurry of land acquisition cases in support of New Deal policies that aimed to resettle impoverished farmers, build large-scale irrigation projects, and establish new national parks.  Condemnation was used to acquire lands for the Shenandoah, Mammoth Cave, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks.  See Morton Butler Timber Co. v. United States, 91 F.2d 884 (6th Cir. 1937)).  Thousands of smaller land and natural resources projects were undertaken by Congress and facilitated by the Division’s land acquisition lawyers during the New Deal era.  For example, condemnation in United States v. Eighty Acres of Land in Williamson County, 26 F. Supp. 315 (E.D. Ill. 1939), acquired forestland around a stream in Illinois to prevent erosion and silting, while Barnidge v. United States, 101 F.2d 295 (8th Cir. 1939), allowed property acquisition for and designation of a historic site in St. Louis associated with the Louisiana Purchase and the Oregon Trail.

During World War II, the Assistant Attorney General called the Lands Division “the biggest real estate office of any time or any place.”  It oversaw the acquisition of more than 20 million acres of land.  Property was transformed into airports and naval stations (e.g., Cameron Development Company v. United States 145 F.2d 209 (5th Cir. 1944)), war materials manufacturing and storage (e.g., General Motors Corporation v. United States, 140 F.2d 873 (7th Cir. 1944)), proving grounds, and a number of other national defense installations."

The super fiend! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.  When over 80% of us want term limits, why isn't there a strong grass roots movement to push current office holders at the national level to support term limits?

...term limits?...seriously?....what legislation would EVER pass disconnecting the majority of 535  has been lawyers NOT employable in the private sector from the government's teat?....how many of these octogenarian sucklings hang on, reelected over and over by the fickle electorate despite their woeful ineffectiveness, yet cashing in on shear "connections (COUGH)"?...." this PSA is brought to you by the world's greatest democracy to be in your neighborhood soon".....

3 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Just like when Rudy used to cover of 9-11 to become permanent mayor of New York.   

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Just like when Rudy used to cover of 9-11 to become permanent mayor of New York.   

Just like when Bloomberg came after Rudy and stayed for three terms because he deemed himself too indispensable to leave after 8 years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Keukasmallies said:

I think the more important question is if term limits are so popular, why isn’t there a strong grass roots movement to elect someone else? The majority of the electorate can scream for term limits til they’re blue in the face, but when we the people keep re-electing the same incumbents over and over it rings hollow IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I think the more important question is if term limits are so popular, why isn’t there a strong grass roots movement to elect someone else? The majority of the electorate can scream for term limits til they’re blue in the face, but when we the people keep re-electing the same incumbents over and over it rings hollow IMO. 

1) No one is willing to turn over the seat to the opposition party.

2) Primaries are a rigged game, especially if an incumbent is involved.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

1) No one is willing to turn over the seat to the opposition party.

2) Primaries are a rigged game, especially if an incumbent is involved.

To me while both those points have some validity, they are also just alternative ways of saying that term limits aren’t actually that important to most of the electorate, otherwise both of those obstacles could and would be overcome. 

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

To me while both those points have some validity, they are also just alternative ways of saying that term limits aren’t actually that important to most of the electorate, otherwise both of those obstacles could and would be overcome. 

Difficult to wrest power from those who have it.  Which is why observant people are reluctant to hand even more power to the government.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

https://www.termlimits.com/petition/

https://www.termlimits.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/116thCongressPledgeSigners.pdf

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Difficult to wrest power from those who have it.  Which is why observant people are reluctant to hand even more power to the government.

I agree 100%. In the context of term limits, I would posit that enacting term limits does in fact hand more power to the government, as it places a limit on the electorate’s power to choose their representation by taking away the ability to re-elect a popular, effective incumbent. 

59 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I agree 100%. In the context of term limits, I would posit that enacting term limits does in fact hand more power to the government, as it places a limit on the electorate’s power to choose their representation by taking away the ability to re-elect a popular, effective incumbent. 

Oh????????????? Name one of those Effective incumbents then...

Face it. To most people they view it as "my Representative and Senators are okay, it's all those other #######s that are screwed up" .  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

Then again, it would reduce power held by government officials who are there to enrich themselves through connections made and lobbyist dollars received. I strongly support term limits, especially for the house, and I'm glad as hell that the president only gets two terms.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Then again, it would reduce power held by government officials who are there to enrich themselves through connections made and lobbyist dollars received. I strongly support term limits, especially for the house, and I'm glad as hell that the president only gets two terms.

It would reduce the ability of ELECTED officials to enrich themselves.  Unelected staffers gain even more power as it won't take long for all of them to be in Washington longer than their bosses that we send there.

Absolutely support the concept of term limits, but haven't heard a proposal yet that doesn't create more problems than it solves.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Oh????????????? Name one of those Effective incumbents then...

Face it. To most people they view it as "my Representative and Senators are okay, it's all those other #######s that are screwed up" .  

The point isn’t if any of the current people in office are effective or not. The point is, if one were, would you want the ability to keep them there or be forced by the government to get rid of them? I’d rather the electorate be able to decide who stays or who goes and when. We already have the ability to limit terms for the house every two years and the senate every six, but we consistently choose not to. That shows me that to most people who claim to support term limits it either isn’t that important of an issue, or to you second point, they support them for those other guys but not when it come to their own. 

49 minutes ago, Azalin said:

reducing graft is definitely an issue I’m on board with, I just don’t think term limits would do as much to that end as most proponents of term limits do, and would be less effective than other potential reforms in lobbying and campaign finance. I’m fine with presidential term limits because as the head of the executive branch he was never intended to be a direct representative of the people and has as much power by himself as all 535 members of Congress put together, but I remain leery of congressional term limits because of the restriction it places on the people’s ability to choose their representation.

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It would reduce the ability of ELECTED officials to enrich themselves.  Unelected staffers gain even more power as it won't take long for all of them to be in Washington longer than their bosses that we send there.

Absolutely support the concept of term limits, but haven't heard a proposal yet that doesn't create more problems than it solves.

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

The point isn’t if any of the current people in office are effective or not. The point is, if one were, would you want the ability to keep them there or be forced by the government to get rid of them? I’d rather the electorate be able to decide who stays or who goes and when. We already have the ability to limit terms for the house every two years and the senate every six, but we consistently choose not to. That shows me that to most people who claim to support term limits it either isn’t that important of an issue, or to you second point, they support them for those other guys but not when it come to their own. 

reducing graft is definitely an issue I’m on board with, I just don’t think term limits would do as much to that end as most proponents of term limits do, and would be less effective than other potential reforms in lobbying and campaign finance. I’m fine with presidential term limits because as the head of the executive branch he was never intended to be a direct representative of the people and has as much power by himself as all 535 members of Congress put together, but I remain leery of congressional term limits because of the restriction it places on the people’s ability to choose their representation.

I don't necessarily disagree, but speaking strictly for myself, I believe that most of our elected public servants are in it to feed their egos and to enrich themselves, to the point where many of them work hand-in-glove behind the scenes regardless of party affiliation at our expense (the swamp/uniparty/etc). Limiting the time they can serve might go a long way in aiding this administration's attempt to rid us of "the establishment" by limiting their access to power.

Even if I'm totally wrong in my presumption, how many Senators and Congressmen truly deserve to continue holding office as long as they do? Sure, limiting their terms of office will mean some good ones are forced to step down, but there are far fewer honest, effective ones in office than there are crooks, bitter partisans, and self-serving egomaniacs. I think that would be a net positive trade-off.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Azalin said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but speaking strictly for myself, I believe that most of our elected public servants are in it to feed their egos and to enrich themselves, to the point where many of them work hand-in-glove behind the scenes regardless of party affiliation at our expense (the swamp/uniparty/etc). Limiting the time they can serve might go a long way in aiding this administration's attempt to rid us of "the establishment" by limiting their access to power.

Even if I'm totally wrong in my presumption, how many Senators and Congressmen truly deserve to continue holding office as long as they do? Sure, limiting their terms of office will mean some good ones are forced to step down, but there are far fewer honest, effective ones in office than there are crooks, bitter partisans, and self-serving egomaniacs. I think that would be a net positive trade-off.

And, again, adding term limits cuts down on the ability for elected officials to be corrupt in theory.  We agree there.  But it increases the power the career staffers end up wielding and the staffers are only beholden to their boss, not the electorate.  My expectation is we'd see things get even worse in that regard.

And term limits might backfire on another front as well, they might also raise the stakes for members of the House especially in the big states as there will be an order of magnitude more of them vying to hold one of their state's 2 Senate seats as that is the next step for them and they can no longer abide their time in the House.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And, again, adding term limits cuts down on the ability for elected officials to be corrupt in theory.  We agree there.  But it increases the power the career staffers end up wielding and the staffers are only beholden to their boss, not the electorate.  My expectation is we'd see things get even worse in that regard.

And term limits might backfire on another front as well, they might also raise the stakes for members of the House especially in the big states as there will be an order of magnitude more of them vying to hold one of their state's 2 Senate seats as that is the next step for them and they can no longer abide their time in the House.

I guess I'm failing to understand what power a staffer, career or otherwise actually has. They can't vote on bills, they aren't lobbied, and they can easily be fired. I don't understand what kind of relationship, or bond of trust, a congressional staffer has toward the electorate at large, so maybe I'm missing something there.

My personal take on congressional reps offering campaign support to senators is simply that if that's the way their constituents want them to spend their time, then fine. Otherwise, two years ain't a whole lot of time to do the work that they were sent to Washington to do.

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

I guess I'm failing to understand what power a staffer, career or otherwise actually has. They can't vote on bills, they aren't lobbied, and they can easily be fired. I don't understand what kind of relationship, or bond of trust, a congressional staffer has toward the electorate at large, so maybe I'm missing something there.

My personal take on congressional reps offering campaign support to senators is simply that if that's the way their constituents want them to spend their time, then fine. Otherwise, two years ain't a whole lot of time to do the work that they were sent to Washington to do.

To the top paragraph, if the staffers are there for a couple decades but the Congress Critter they work for can only be there for 6 years max, then they will know the lobbyists a lot better than their boss will and they will be even more involved in actually crafting the legislation their bosses sponsor and eventually vote on.  If the Congress critter is daily hearing from his staff a certain message, that will resonate with many of them. 

And, different circumstances but analogous to a point, look at how hard it's been for 45 to root out the Ciaramellas from the Executive branch.  When Congress faces the same sort of limits on tenure that the President faces, they'll face similar issues, IMHO.

To the lower paragraph, my point must not have been clear.  Wasn't saying the Reps would be working to help the Senators, was saying they'd be working to BECOME the Senators.  And the best way for them to make names for themselves in the limited time they have to do so is to get the big bucks lobbyists supporting them and getting them in contact with "the right people."  Which just screams out as an opportunity for corruption IMHO.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

To the top paragraph, if the staffers are there for a couple decades but the Congress Critter they work for can only be there for 6 years max, then they will know the lobbyists a lot better than their boss will and they will be even more involved in actually crafting the legislation their bosses sponsor and eventually vote on.  If the Congress critter is daily hearing from his staff a certain message, that will resonate with many of them. 

And, different circumstances but analogous to a point, look at how hard it's been for 45 to root out the Ciaramellas from the Executive branch.  When Congress faces the same sort of limits on tenure that the President faces, they'll face similar issues, IMHO.

To the lower paragraph, my point must not have been clear.  Wasn't saying the Reps would be working to help the Senators, was saying they'd be working to BECOME the Senators.  And the best way for them to make names for themselves in the limited time they have to do so is to get the big bucks lobbyists supporting them and getting them in contact with "the right people."  Which just screams out as an opportunity for corruption IMHO.

Agree to disagree, with the concession that term limits is pretty much a pipe dream anyway, considering that it would be the very people affected by the term limits that would be passing the legislation.

The fact that they don't seem to want to pass it tells me that it would be bad for them and good for us.