Slithering Towards Dictatorship

Kemp

17 hours ago, Azalin said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but speaking strictly for myself, I believe that most of our elected public servants are in it to feed their egos and to enrich themselves, to the point where many of them work hand-in-glove behind the scenes regardless of party affiliation at our expense (the swamp/uniparty/etc). Limiting the time they can serve might go a long way in aiding this administration's attempt to rid us of "the establishment" by limiting their access to power.

Even if I'm totally wrong in my presumption, how many Senators and Congressmen truly deserve to continue holding office as long as they do? Sure, limiting their terms of office will mean some good ones are forced to step down, but there are far fewer honest, effective ones in office than there are crooks, bitter partisans, and self-serving egomaniacs. I think that would be a net positive trade-off.

As a strictly practical matter you may be right about the bolded, but again I come back to the fact that we already have the power to remove said crooks, partisans, and egomaniacs from office on a regular basis, and we consistently choose not to. In that sense we get the government we deserve under the current system.  My opposition to term limits is based on a somewhat idealized world where the electorate is knowledgeable and engaged enough to actually take out the congressional trash on a  regular basis, because I think that’s the condition we should be striving for. That may be even more of pipe dream than getting congress to voluntarily enact term limits, however. ?

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Over the last three plus years I’ve either read or heard:

Trump wasn’t going to accept the results of the election....he did.

Trump was going to start WW3...a bunch of times....he hasn’t.

Trump was going to destroy the US economy....he strengthened it.

Trump wasn’t going to be able to get other countries to agree to his trade deals...he has.

Trump was trying to bribe another country to meddle in our election....they didn’t...he wasn’t.

Trump was crazy when he accused the previous administration of spying on his campaign...he wasn’t.

Trump was bloviating about how Mexico was going to cut off the flow of immigration across their southern border....he wasn’t...they have.

Trump wasn’t conservative when it came to picking Judges....he is.

Anyone want to add to the list?

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

The Dems were angry but accepted it. I thought you knew Trump was in the White House, when he's not making the taxpayers to have guests at his clubs.

I overestimated once again when I assumed people would know that refusing to turn over ownership of the White House is different than people complaining about not winning.

Must continue to remind myself what I am dealing with, here.

Makes one wonder why you would want to slum it out here

There's got to be plenty of safe spaces on the interwebs

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Trump wasn’t going to be able to get other countries to agree to his trade deals...he has.

Trump was trying to bribe another country to meddle in our election....they didn’t...he wasn’t.

Trump was crazy when he accused the previous administration of spying on his campaign...he wasn’t.

Trump was bloviating about how Mexico was going to cut off the flow of immigration across their southern border....he wasn’t...they have.

Trump is going down once some evidence that is coming soon comes out

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

As a strictly practical matter you may be right about the bolded, but again I come back to the fact that we already have the power to remove said crooks, partisans, and egomaniacs from office on a regular basis, and we consistently choose not to. In that sense we get the government we deserve under the current system.  My opposition to term limits is based on a somewhat idealized world where the electorate is knowledgeable and engaged enough to actually take out the congressional trash on a  regular basis, because I think that’s the condition we should be striving for. That may be even more of pipe dream than getting congress to voluntarily enact term limits, however. ?

I agree that the people should be educated enough to know whether their local congressperson is an effective representative for them or not. In most cases people know their town and county officials better than they do their D.C. reps.  That’s a shame. Most congresspeople are elected from areas smaller than a county. They get to D.C. and seem to forget that they are really local politicians. 

One better idea than term limits (because in most cases, people like their incumbent for whatever reason) is to stop Congress from giving power to the longest serving representatives.  For example, there’s no reason why someone like Maxine Waters should chair a committee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

But Mexico hasn’t paid for the wall ?.

37 minutes ago, snafu said:

But Mexico hasn’t paid for the wall ?.

That is one of the Dem lies the media have let them get away with. When specifically asked by Hannity in a one on one pre-election National interview Candidate Trump said he was NOT expecting Mexico to send us a check. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, SoCal Deek said:

That is one of the Dem lies the media have let them get away with. When specifically asked by Hannity in a one on one pre-election National interview Candidate Trump said he was NOT expecting Mexico to send us a check. 

He did say it a bunch of times on the stump however.  Almost as many times as Barack said "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

• 7 months later...

A 6-3 Oligarch dominated court will probably be like Mitch McConnels grave yard senate, right? No Democratic legislation will be allowed. The will of the majority of people will be completely silenced by a bunch of religious zealots and corporate crooks. 

The Nazis  will start by taking away the health care for millions. First they came for the health care. 

So morality is dead then. There are no rules. Just the strong and the weak. 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:39 PM, SoCal Deek said:

....WHOA!.......according to CNN which is "fair and balanced" according to Wolf "Blitzed" Blitzer, you've listed "fake news"......now who should I believe to resolve this MAJOR conundrum??.............

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

A 6-3 Oligarch dominated court will probably be like Mitch McConnels grave yard senate, right? No Democratic legislation will be allowed. The will of the majority of people will be completely silenced by a bunch of religious zealots and corporate crooks. 

The Nazis  will start by taking away the health care for millions. First they came for the health care. 

No...there are rules. 
your side is saying ‘if you follow the rules, we will change the rules’. 
Because that’s what sore losers do...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bakin said:

No...there are rules. 
your side is saying ‘if you follow the rules, we will change the rules’. 
Because that’s what sore losers do...

And it's what they always do -- change the rules, then get forked by their own rule change. See: Harry Reid's decision which brought us here :lol: :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

hair on fire on Tumblr

On 2/5/2020 at 7:53 PM, Warren Zevon said:

...LMAO...let Smitten Mitt and The Pantsuit commiserate and lick their wounds together.......dual losers....maybe J&J will give them first aid kits with abrasion cream and band aids....

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

..YOU and MORALITY in the same sentence?.......oh Gawd, we're sinking to depths unknown..............

"Vote for us or we'll have our thugs continue to riot in the streets"

"If the POTUS exercises his constitutional right to appoint judges, we'll pack the courts next time we're in charge"

"We'll shut down your country and your livelihood for as long as we please with no defined plan or milestones to reopen."

Oh, I'd say we're way past "slithering".

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's already like we live under garbage rule. Rule by the trash of society, lying, cheating hating trash 

CNN’s Ron Brownstein explains, “Today the 47 Democratic senators represent almost 169 million people, while the 53 Republican senators represent about 158 million. ... The senators in the current Democratic minority won 14 million more votes than those in the Republican majority.”

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. 

Thomas Jefferson 

Huh, one would almost think that the entire point of the Senate was to represent states, not people.

Maybe they should create a lower house of Congress, like some sort of 'House of Representatives' or something, to represent the will of the people.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Huh, one would almost think that the entire point of the Senate was to represent states, not people.

Maybe they should create a lower house of Congress, like some sort of 'House of Representatives' or something, to represent the will of the people.

We the People? 

• Haha (+1) 1