New York (again)

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Masks are here to stay, folks

Reading through his Twitter feed recently... masks masks masks masks masks MASKS MASKS

Based on that logic we should all wear cups. Athletes wear them all the time so we should too just in the event there is an errant ball to the nuts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Reading through his Twitter feed recently... masks masks masks masks masks MASKS MASKS

Maybe he should be telling Fredo to wear one then. You know, when his little brother is out in public, with no mask, while claiming to be in quarantine for having this uber deadly virus that kills grandma and requires lockdowns and tyranny.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

By what logic are the goobenators declaring that if they don’t get federal bailout monies then the “First Responders, Police, Firemen, Medics, Doctors, Nurses, etc. will be laid off.”

Those chuckleheads don’t realize that THOSE are about the ONLY people getting paid and paying taxes to their states right now. :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Well, as New Yorks biggest mass murderer ever.....who's gonna argue with him ?

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Brilliant comparison Andy.

Health care workers are in the situation where masks are needed 

We are not. 

• Like (+1) 2

if this situation has driven one thing home, it’s that it’s time to prepare to leave NY State. It’s bad enough that we have an incompetent government and an emperor as a governor (not to mention that condescending bozo sitting to his left most of the time), but combine that with the (nearly) highest property taxes in the country, long and miserable winters, and a bleak future, it’s time to find another state to call home. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dubs said:

if this situation has driven one thing home, it’s that it’s time to prepare to leave NY State. It’s bad enough that we have an incompetent government and an emperor as a governor (not to mention that condescending bozo sitting to his left most of the time), but combine that with the (nearly) highest property taxes in the country, long and miserable winters, and a bleak future, it’s time to find another state to call home. 

OK, let's pick a place and take the Bills with us.

5 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I’m probably 1-2 years away from uprooting. Just starting to look at potential destinations, starting with the Carolinas. Maybe the Raleigh area in NC or Charleston or Greenville in SC. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

By what logic are the goobenators declaring that if they don’t get federal bailout monies then the “First Responders, Police, Firemen, Medics, Doctors, Nurses, etc. will be laid off.”

Those chuckleheads don’t realize that THOSE are about the ONLY people getting paid and paying taxes to their states right now.

what governors are just figuring out is that the money they use to pay their employees comes from the very people they just forced onto unemployment!  oops 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, dubs said:

We've done Florida as snow birds and it isn't for us (too hot 6 months of the year, and it ain't as cheap as everyone proclaims). I'd love to try Virginia, but that seems to be going the way of NYS (one small area of the state influences policies that harm the rest of the state and too bad for the rest of the state). Or possibly North Carolina (a lot of my ex's family went there, and there are some nice areas in NC) but am not quite there yet.  And if my son sticks to the Buffalo area and they start producing those grand-babies I so desperately want... I doubt I'll ever leave.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, dubs said:

You should definitively get to a red state ASAP

49 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Selfish pricks 

2 hours ago, dubs said:

but our mask rate is through the roof!!!

3 hours ago, dubs said:

come to florida-everything you mention we are great in. Our property taxes are low, our income tax is 0% and our weather is great 8 months a year. When my friends who still live in WNY ask how I deal with the heat I have one answer "Buffalo temperature range is -10 to 80 while mine is 40 to95, 55 degrees is easier to get use to than 90" If you want more sales points let me know, I literally have convince about one of my  relatives a year to move.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We've done Florida as snow birds and it isn't for us (too hot 6 months of the year, and it ain't as cheap as everyone proclaims). I'd love to try Virginia, but that seems to be going the way of NYS (one small area of the state influences policies that harm the rest of the state and too bad for the rest of the state). Or possibly North Carolina (a lot of my ex's family went there, and there are some nice areas in NC) but am not quite there yet.  And if my son sticks to the Buffalo area and they start producing those grand-babies I so desperately want... I doubt I'll ever leave.

Many part of Florida are not cheap as an initial investment but over time it is a better deal. Since the taxes are so much lower a $1500 monthly mortgage in Orlando gets you a $250,000 home  including taxes- in NY that gets you less than $200,000. I am curious which part of Florida you were in?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dubs said:

I’m probably 1-2 years away from uprooting. Just starting to look at potential destinations, starting with the Carolinas. Maybe the Raleigh area in NC or Charleston or Greenville in SC. 

I'm in the Lower Hudson Valley so my taxes are murder, but I have a place in the Adirondacks where the taxes are 25% of what I pay here. That's a good enough drop for me, I'll probably retire there. I like the change of seasons, winters are fine with me, and the summers and autumns up there can't be beat. But if I did move, the areas you're talking about are where I would probably pick also.

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Many part of Florida are not cheap as an initial investment but over time it is a better deal. Since the taxes are so much lower a $1500 monthly mortgage in Orlando gets you a $250,000 home  including taxes- in NY that gets you less than $200,000. I am curious which part of Florida you were in?

Unincorporated St John’s county, a beach condo. The taxes + HOA fees were as much as our NYS house taxes (school, town, county), the condo was assessed at approximately half our NYS house’s value. Hurricane insurance also was not inexpensive compared to our NYS insurance. As far as utilities we only had water, electric, and cable...  the cable bill was insane in Florida for junk TV choices and slower internet connection (Comcast in Florida vs FIOS in NYS).

I remember when we moved into our house and the lady next door to us told me her Florida taxes were as much as on the NYS house. I was skeptical until we bought our condo. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

come to florida-everything you mention we are great in. Our property taxes are low, our income tax is 0% and our weather is great 8 months a year. When my friends who still live in WNY ask how I deal with the heat I have one answer "Buffalo temperature range is -10 to 80 while mine is 40 to95, 55 degrees is easier to get use to than 90" If you want more sales points let me know, I literally have convince about one of my  relatives a year to move.

And for you, the weather probably is good 8 months/ year.  Couldn't wait to get away from the Gulf as IMHO the weather was unbearably hot from May - October (6 months) and was uncomfortably cold (due to humidity) for January & a week or 2 on either side of it.  So, while again IMHO weather in WNY is great / good (& liking the change of seasons makes December far more tolerable than not liking them) for about 10 months/ year; only really limed the weather 4 months/ year down there.  And 7 years wasn't long enough to "thin the blood" enough to make the oppressive heat & humidity tolerable.

Again, different strokes for different folks, but could never get used to the weather on the Gulf.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

if my son sticks to the Buffalo area and they start producing those grand-babies I so desperately want... I doubt I'll ever leave.

My wife was adamant, as I regularly broached the subject, that she had no problem being a snowbird should the kids stay in N.Y. and have grandkids.

Well, the kids stayed local here and upon the birth of our 1st grandkid, leaving for anywhere for longer than a month was no longer an option. It wasn't because of an absolute babysit need, but "mema" was making sure she be 1st considered to watch the grandkids. Now that we have 4 grandkids and one a recent newborn.....

.....we aren't going anywhere much longer than two weeks ever again.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Unincorporated St John’s county, a beach condo. The taxes + HOA fees were as much as our NYS house taxes (school, town, county), the condo was assessed at approximately half our NYS house’s value. Hurricane insurance also was not inexpensive compared to our NYS insurance. As far as utilities we only had water, electric, and cable...  the cable bill was insane in Florida for junk TV choices and slower internet connection (Comcast in Florida vs FIOS in NYS).

I remember when we moved into our house and the lady next door to us told me her Florida taxes were as much as on the NYS house. I was skeptical until we bought our condo. 

I was gonna guess a condo but not St John's. The HOA fees on some condos are very high. In fact down by Miami I am seeing condos for 150,000 with HOA fees approaching 1K a month. Also hurricane insurance for a beach condo is very high, I should probably be more specific, move to Orlando where I live.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was gonna guess a condo but not St John's. The HOA fees on some condos are very high. In fact down by Miami I am seeing condos for 150,000 with HOA fees approaching 1K a month. Also hurricane insurance for a beach condo is very high, I should probably be more specific, move to Orlando where I live.

Don't get me wrong, we loved the area from December until April ... it just is not a full time possibility for us. Too hot. And that is "too hot" while residing by the ocean. I'd melt in Orlando. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have to qualify what I am about to say- I believe Cuomo is incompetent not evil and I do not think he made his decisions with an inappropriate intent but what would you do differently if your intent was to eliminate as many of the poor from NYC than what he did? Between the subways and assisted living he ensured as many poor people as possible were in contact with the virus as possible.

wow... wish I could say this shocks me but sadly, it doesn’t.

6 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

This amendment to the "Green Light Law" was silently passed while we were distracted by the CCP Virus.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/green-light-law-amendment-officers-can-be-charged-with-felony

My Wife babysits for a State Trooper/Border Patrol husband wife team. This has been tricky for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

My Wife babysits for a State Trooper/Border Patrol husband wife team. This has been tricky for them.

Yikes  I can see it now 

Wife:  How was your day honey?

Husband: None of your ***** business!  How was yours sugar plumb?

Wife:  I could tell you but then I’d have to ***** kill you!! honey bunch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Yikes  I can see it now 

Wife:  How was your day honey?

Husband: None of your ***** business!  How was yours sugar plumb?

Wife:  I could tell you but then I’d have to ***** kill you!! honey bunch. 

That explains a lot, my wife must be an undercover border patrol agent, not a nurse. ?

On 5/25/2020 at 8:03 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

no Florida for me..always fascinates me when people want to move away when they retire...think i want to be around friends even more then.

Having said, been actively looking for property in Buffalo, kinda bummed prices have not cratered during this mess.

• Thank you (+1) 1

….uh oh......think I'll just wait for extensive CNN coverage to get the truth on this...…………….

Cuomo granted immunity to nursing home executives, after big-money campaign donation: report

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who signed legislation granting hospital and nursing home executives immunity from lawsuits related to the novel coronavirus last month, previously received a big-money boost from a powerful health care industry group, according to a new report.

The Guardian reports that the New York State Democratic Committee, then backing Cuomo’s primary run in 2018, received more than $1 million from the Greater New York Hospital Association (GNYHA) -- a lobbying group for hospital systems, some of which own nursing homes.

The donation made the group one of the state party’s largest contributors in that cycle. Three of the hospital association’s top officials separately gave more than $150,000 to Cuomo’s campaign between 2015 and 2018, the outlet reported.

That donation is now drawing scrutiny after Cuomo signed legislation last month that protects executives from lawsuits -- just as he is under continued criticism for his March 25 order (since deleted) requiring nursing homes to take in COVID-19 patients.

On May 10, and amid increasing criticism, Cuomo issued a new directive stating that hospitals cannot send patients back to nursing homes in the state unless they tested negative for the virus.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-immunity-nursing-home-campaign-donation

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

no Florida for me..always fascinates me when people want to move away when they retire...think i want to be around friends even more then.

Having said, been actively looking for property in Buffalo, kinda bummed prices have not cratered during this mess.

I think the only cratering home prices will be major cities, the rest of country will probably just stay level until next year. As for retiring in Florida much of the movement is due to so much free time when you retire. In Florida even on hot days you can go golf at 630 am as my grandfather did almost everyday. In Buffalo that free time during winter can become rough.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think the only cratering home prices will be major cities, the rest of country will probably just stay level until next year. As for retiring in Florida much of the movement is due to so much free time when you retire. In Florida even on hot days you can go golf at 630 am as my grandfather did almost everyday. In Buffalo that free time during winter can become rough.

Makes sense...but most bars and OTB open at 11:30..i all good!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The issue often with retirement is the reduction of income and needing to reduce expenses.  When you move from places like CA or NY and and drop up to 10% in income taxes and another several thousand in property taxes and cost of living all of a sudden retirement becomes a reality.  

And friends?  Dude...you have us regardless of where you live.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1