New York (again)

On 5/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, B-Man said:

EXQrS2bXkAARSQi?format=jpg&name=900x900

In doing a quick Google search it appears there are 1.2 million elderly in NYC and almost 5 million in Florida but there are more elderly dying in NYC than the entirety of Florida.  I am glad I have Desantis and not Cuomo.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, snafu said:

Ugh.

Is reimagine a euphemism for f**k it up even more?

I would guess it’s a euphemism for “greater indoctrination” but that’s just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

New York’s coronavirus nursing home death toll didn’t have to be so high.

It’s long been clear the official numbers didn’t capture the coronavirus’ full toll in New York’s nursing homes — but the updated count was nonetheless appalling.

Yet Gov. Andrew Cuomo still won’t admit his administration was wrong to mandate that facilities filled with those most virus-vulnerable take in COVID-positive patients.

The new Health Department info released late Monday adds 1,700 presumed coronavirus deaths to the grim total, suggesting that COVID-19 complications have killed 4,813 residents of nursing homes and adult-care facilities — and that doesn’t include those who died in hospitals.

Cuomo downplayed the count Tuesday: “I would take all of these numbers now with a grain of salt,” since “what does a ‘presumed death’ mean, right?”

Considering how pessimistic Cuomo has been in other areas, such doubt seems self-serving. We know fatality rates are far higher than normal — and the coronavirus has proven most deadly to the elderly and those with certain preexisting conditions. Indeed, Cuomo admitted Tuesday, “We knew the nursing homes were going to be a target.”

So why on earth did his health commissioner, Howard Zucker, force nursing homes to take in virus-positive patients starting March 25?

Why, indeed?

ANDREW CUOMO’S MORALLY GROTESQUE. 

Andrew Cuomo’s Morally Grotesque Rationale for Maintaining COVID-19 Lockdowns.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo continues to show that he cannot be trusted to properly weigh the costs and benefits of COVID-19 lockdowns. While conceding the unavoidable tradeoff between lives and livelihoods, he insists that preventing even one death is worth any amount of economic pain.

“The faster we reopen,” Cuomo told reporters this week, “the lower the economic cost, but the higher the human cost, because the more lives lost. That, my friends, is the decision we are really making.”

Cuomo misleadingly implies that the economic burden of lockdowns—lost jobs, shuttered businesses, a precipitous drop in spending and output, unemployment at a level not seen since the Great Depression, tens of millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills and feed their children—is not a “human cost.” Who is hurt by this suppression of economic activity? Robots?

Given Cuomo’s cavalier treatment of nursing home patients, it’s not clear that he’s really that interested in preventing deaths.