The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doubt he'd shut the state down at this point, but a strong case could be made for increasing "social distancing" measures if the hospitalization rate (or worse, the death rate) goes up much more.  

I am certain they will watch it, but the "doubling" hype always needs to be looked at for the numbers. Going from 1 to 2 is doubling, and so is going from 1M to 2M. The devil is in the details.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am certain they will watch it, but the "doubling" hype always needs to be looked at for the numbers. Going from 1 to 2 is doubling, and so is going from 1M to 2M. The devil is in the details.

Absolutely.  And IIRC, as comparision NYC was topping out at ~900 deaths / day and ~24,000 positive tests.  Going off memory there as NYS though it still shows totals on its Covid webpage now only shows data from the past week on its trendline. <_< (Nice job, Andy.  Certainly people will forget how bad things were in state now that they can't easily see the true daily peaks anymore. <_< )

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I was wrong about the masks!? You have not seen people cover their faces to prevent being identified while rioting and looting this past month? All the lovely little reports showing masks are little better than placebos (unless N95)?  M'kay. You and I clearly have very different ideas about "wrong." 

4K hospital beds taken by COVID-19 patients out of 80K acute care beds statewide (according to this 2016 report), in a state with 29M people is cause for a lock down? Abbot said there were 20K available beds available for COVID-19 back in April.

...if, IF I remember correctly, it was reported that NYS Covid-19 deaths resulted from 40-50% with pre-existing conditions.......excluding the 4,320 nursing home deaths which Big Fredo referred to as a "shiny object".....looking at CDC reports of 649,000 cardiac related deaths ANNUALLY, that seems to validate "40-50% with pre-existing conditions" assertion just from one category alone......

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

these dudes disagree in the NE Journal of Medicine article below

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372?fbclid=IwAR1EoJkVn0xxmfBb6RNhasEb2XXM6E2Lr-p7YOMrvMFl9iMBwKPQLl96lIo

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

probably because they understand that under the laws of physics, a covid particle up .14 micron can not be stopped by a N-95 mask that only stops particles down to .3 microns. cloth masks and other face coverings are worthless, no matter who is wearing it

You wear a mask to protect others... Why are conservatives so obsessed with there being a conspiracy, of global proportion? Then when you literally say "the mask is for the protection of others" they argue a completely different point? Well, i guess screw others then, AND the rest of the world and the vast, vast majority of experts are wrong bc you can misread an article.

/spit

I say open back up and left the herd thin, which is what we should have done, instead of a free-for-all, like Trump orchestrated. 

As far as masks for riots, are yall saying people should be banned from masks? Do yall realize how stupid you are sounding? 

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF I remember correctly, it was reported that NYS Covid-19 deaths resulted from 40-50% with pre-existing conditions.......excluding the 4,320 nursing home deaths which Big Fredo referred to as a "shiny object".....looking at CDC reports of 649,000 cardiac related deaths ANNUALLY, that seems to validate "40-50% with pre-existing conditions" assertion just from one category alone......

And, many, many people have some sort of "pre-existing" condition. Diabetes, BHP, high cholesterol, auto-immune disease, obesity, alcobolism, etc. 

The mental gymnastics some of yall are doing because it is too much to wear a mask is crazy. 

While the other half of the nation is destroying cities... What are rational people to do? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

Wondering what the numbers are for people testing positive that wore masks vs. those that didn't.

..'fancy, you're a Floridian, is your concern growing as the Florida numbers reportedly grow?.......any insight on the increase in numbers?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..'fancy, you're a Floridian, is your concern growing as the Florida numbers reportedly grow?.......any insight on the increase in numbers?......

No concern here, still play golf 2x a week, the numbers are growing in TB, Orlando and Miami, the same cities where 2 weeks ago protests,, rioting and looting went on, but you won't hear that on the lamestream media.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

No concern here, still play golf 2x a week, the numbers are growing in TB, Orlando and Miami, the same cities where 2 weeks ago protests,, rioting and looting went on, but you won't hear that on the lamestream media.

...glad to hear you and the Mrs are safe and living your lives......:thumbsup:....I have relatives all over Florida as in Orlando, Melbourne, Bradenton etc........all are safe and doing well...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

at this point if you aren't wearing a mask you don't deserve to get service anywhere that denies you it, nor do you have any right to complain about it

if you are turning a standard health guideline into a political statement then sit your ass at home 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

at this point if you aren't wearing a mask you don't deserve to get service anywhere that denies you it, nor do you have any right to complain about it

if you are turning a standard health guideline into a political statement then sit your ass at home 

Do we say the same to people who get lung cancer from smoking? How about liver disease from drinking? How about obesity and diabetes from drinking Coke?  I can hardly wait to turn the country’s health care system over to public health officials. This gonna be a hoot!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

A flipside option is to do nothing and pray the hospitals can keep up, which is not even bad science, but faith.

Well, it's certainly important for hospital relief to ban people from buying seeds or paint, to require that only white people wear masks, and send the police to take care of people being alone on a beach. Hell, let's not forget how important it is to conserve hospital beds by allowing mass protests, rioting, and rampant vandalism.

Thank God acts of commerce were strictly banned.

43 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

At this point, you're still an idiot.

Oh, and you should also be denied service for being in favor of people being denied service. I'm officially offended by your hurtful comment, so you should likewise be terminated from your job, and never allowed to work again.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do we say the same to people who get lung cancer from smoking? How about liver disease from drinking? How about obesity and diabetes from drinking Coke?  I can hardly wait to turn the country’s health care system over to public health officials. This gonna be a hoot!

I always saw you as a rational poster, but here you are really comparing apples and oranges. A shop owner might deny service to people without mask to prevent infection of other customers. Buying cigarettes, booze, or Coke might kill the buyer, but will not affect the other customers in the store. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrW said:

I always saw you as a rational poster, but here you are really comparing apples and oranges. A shop owner might deny service to people without mask to prevent infection of other customers. Buying cigarettes, booze, or Coke might kill the buyer, but will not affect the other customers in the store. 

Well, there goes those 2nd hand smoke and DUI theories. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrW said:

Trust me, I’m still quite rational. But....The next logical step will be for the government to deny health ‘service’ if you were found not to be wearing a mask. It’s already common practice out here in CA that you’re required to have a mask if you’re going to enter a store, restaurant, etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrW said:

I remember the uproar against banning of smoking in bars and restaurants back in the early 2000's in NYS.  You barely hear a peep about it now.  It will become that way with masks over the next few months.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I remember the uproar against banning of smoking in bars and restaurants back in the early 2000's in NYS.  You barely hear a peep about it now.  It will become that way with masks over the next few months.

You can't go into any business in PA without a mask. I am sure other states are the same. 

The shape of the covid hospital curve in AZ is shi77y.

image.thumb.png.b3b602eefb8723aa3b980eb552bb2a20.png