The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What are the current NYS numbers compared to Texas numbers?

Last 10 days Texas has had 37,112 new cases compared to 8,199 in NY

1 minute ago, Gene Frenkle said:

None that I've seen. Why ask for trouble though? Do you think it's an unreasonable mandate?

It's very reasonable - just as it was reasonable for DeSantis to disallow New Yorkers to enter Florida previously. 

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

I mean it's all for nothing if we have to shut down again. NY should take care of it's own house before worrying about tourism, IMO.

There's no second shutdown coming. That's the fear they're pushing because it's not about Covid. It's about November. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

It's very reasonable - just as it was reasonable for DeSantis to disallow New Yorkers to enter Florida previously. 

Yeah, I had zero problem with that as well.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

There's no second shutdown coming. That's the fear they're pushing because it's not about Covid. It's about November. 

Are you a time traveler?

Cause if you're not, that's just like your opinion, man.

2 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Are you a time traveler?

Cause if you're not, that's just like your opinion, man.

No spike from the protests -- despite the most vulnerable people being involved. 

Keep thinking it's not a manufactured crisis. You've been wrong about most everything else, why stop now? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

We're about to go to phase 4. We already went through the part they're going through now. I think it's the right move.

1/3 to 1/2 of NY population should be immune due to antibodies, if we trust the science he should welcome the business

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

None that I've seen. Why ask for trouble though? Do you think it's an unreasonable mandate?

It's a petty action from a highly insecure governor who's fighting to deflect his role in runaway NYS deaths.

Again, with a virus that's infected >8 million people, there should be mounting evidence if there are second waves.  The media can't crow about EU numbers falling and being open for over a month, but then sound the alarm about NY

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No spike from the protests -- despite the most vulnerable people being involved. 

Keep thinking it's not a manufactured crisis. You've been wrong about most everything else, why stop now? 

Yeah dude, I don't know exactly how this virus works. Neither do you.

18 minutes ago, GG said:

What evidence exists that locations that went through a high peak have seen a resurgence?

I asked this before too. That being said, other places that have gone through a high peak have been able to protect their borders. Here, to overuse this analogy today, we have a pee in the pool problem. What happens in AZ leaks to TX and SoCal. 

All data points to a continuing roll through regions that haven't experienced a true peak.

Limited data set on this so far but yes, we have yet to see a rise in a country that had a peak and reopened. And the states that peaked high are only just starting to reopen. 

But if you're suggesting the worst is yet to come in FL and TX, it may be. I don't know. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

I asked this before too. That being said, other places that have gone through a high peak have been able to protect their borders. Here, to overuse this analogy today, we have a pee in the pool problem. What happens in AZ leads to TX and SoCal. 

Limited data set on this so far but yes, we have yet to see a rise in a country that had a peak and reopened. And the states that peaked high are only just starting to reopen. 

But if you're suggesting the worst is yet to come in FL and TX, it may be. I don't know. 

What limited data?  8 million infected around the world.  Where are the second waves?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

TX Gov Abbott was floating more shutdowns yesterday, so whoever the "they" is, the group of "them" includes a TX Republican governor and it seems like "they" are mostly concerned about "their" fellow Americans. 

And I hope to hell no state has to backtrack. That would really be the worst case and an indictment of the stupidity of not having a nationwide vision on this. 

Just now, GG said:

It's a petty action from a highly insecure governor who's fighting to deflect his role in runaway NYS deaths.

Again, with a virus that's infected >8 million people, there should be mounting evidence if there are second waves.  The media can't crow about EU numbers falling and being open for over a month, but then sound the alarm about NY

Sure, that's your perception. There are two states on that list with Dem governors. Collateral damage? Maybe, just maybe, there isn't an ulterior motive here? I don't know and I really don't care. Better safe than sorry in this case. Texas doesn't need NY anyway and if you think about it, this would be a perfect time to secede. I mean, who would object?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

What limited data?  8 million infected around the world.  Where are the second waves?

European countries have largely closed borders right now. Easy to keep cases low once you've locked ***** down. There have not been any case rises on reopening in Europe. This could be good tracing, protecting vulnerable, and keeping travel from high case areas out (because you can't track those folks as well). 

I'm not sure the US can replicate that if we have high case states next to low case states and there's travel between them. 

But your point was why I was asking about the fact that there has been no resurgence anywhere last week. 

Sure, that's your perception. There are two states on that list with Dem governors. Collateral damage? Maybe, just maybe, there isn't an ulterior motive here? I don't know and I really don't care. Better safe than sorry in this case. Texas doesn't need NY anyway and if you think about it, this would be a perfect time to secede. I mean, who would object?

I take it you agree that it's a petty move that has no basis in data?

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly not Texas. It may be a way they can save the Alamo. Heck, it has even survived Ozzy pissing on it.

1 minute ago, GG said:

I take it you agree that it's a petty move that has no basis in data?

I would agree that it's a justifiably cautious move, with potentially petty overtones. I also agree with taking the cautious approach in this case, regardless of how good it likely makes Cuomo feel.

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I thought restricting travel from China saved millions of lives, no? 

I wish China had been upfront about the Wuhan virus. Think about how many more lives could have been saved.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1