The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Yesterday, Monday, was another low death toll, with only ten states in double digits and NONE over 50 for the first time since the lock down. So even considering the make up factor from the weekend there were 40 states in single digits and 13 states with ZERO Covid 19 deaths reported. 

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

Pretty much mirrors the results of a discussion that I had with someone on this board (not you) over 6 weeks ago.  They disagreed or were skeptical of this premise.   

Similar to the Denmark study, AFAIK.

Oklahoma? What's going to happen there soon? 

June 16 (Reuters) - New cases of COVID-19 nearly doubled in Alabama and South Carolina in the second week of June compared to the prior seven days, a Reuters analysis found, as 17 U.S. states reported weekly increases in the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Alabama's new cases rose 97% to 5,115 for the week ended June 14, with 14% of COVID-19 tests coming back positive compared to 6% in the prior week, according to the analysis of data from The COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer-run effort to track the outbreak.

New cases in South Carolina rose 86% to 4,509, while the positive test rate rose to about 14% from 9% over the same period, according to the analysis and state data.

When asked to comment on the increases, South Carolina and Alabama health officials said some residents were not following recommendations to maintain social distance, avoid large gatherings and wear a mask in public.

In Oklahoma, where President Donald Trump plans to hold an indoor campaign rally on Saturday, new cases rose 68% to 1,081 in the second week of June, while the positive test rate increased to 4%, from 2% the previous week.

38 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Because the pandemic is not about the 118,000 dead and counting for Trump - it’s another opportunity to enrich himself and his cronies.

Inspectors general warn that Trump administration is blocking scrutiny of coronavirus rescue programs

Drain the swamp??? ???

Thank you Trump voters! 

Not even trying to hide their corrupt nature, just sleeze balls 

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Then the “the reason cases are rising is because we’re testing more” is logical too correct?  

Could be but it's not as straightforward as "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any." That's a whole different level of stupid. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Could be but it's not as straightforward as "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any." That's a whole different level of stupid. 

No I’m not addressing Trumps stupid tweet. You said it was logical. I was just getting your take on the logic of other side. Nice two dance. 

It’s a numbers game. You do understand how math works right?  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No I’m not addressing Trumps stupid tweet. You said it was logical. I was just getting your take on the logic of other side. Nice two dance. 

It’s a numbers game. You do understand how math works right?  

I do, but I don't think you do. You can have rising cases along with rising tests (and you can also have falling cases and rising tests) so your attempt to flip around Trump's stupidity into a proof of the opposite doesn't always work. 

Can't justify his stupid here. 

Edited by shoshin

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

Even Politifact calling out Cuomo for his BS

WSJ continues its expose of USA's failures in the pandemic

The U.S. death toll from Covid-19 in nursing homes and other long-term-care facilities has topped 50,000, marking a grim milestone in a pandemic that is taking a heavy toll on the oldest and most vulnerable people, state data show.

A Wall Street Journal tally of counts from around the U.S. also shows more than 250,000 novel coronavirus infection cases among residents and staffers at long-term-care facilities, along with 50,919 deaths. Measured against the overall count of more than 116,000 Covid-19 deaths in the U.S., compiled by Johns Hopkins University, buildings meant to house and care for seniors are linked to more than 40% of pandemic’s deaths in the U.S. thus far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

Share of Covid 19 Deaths in Nursing Homes & Assisted Care Facilities map of U.S.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nursing-home-crisis-by-the-numbers-3a47433c3f70

Other states were a lot worse then NY, that is no excuse for what happened here

And I think what this points out that many have said is that I think we know how to proceed here. Protect those that are most vulnerable to the virus and let the rest of us go about our lives as long as we are mindful of those that are vulnerable.  Kind of like we should be doing every flue season.  As I've mentioned my mom worries EVERY flu season.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ALF said:

Share of Covid 19 Deaths in Nursing Homes & Assisted Care Facilities map of U.S.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nursing-home-crisis-by-the-numbers-3a47433c3f70

Other states were a lot worse then NY, that is no excuse for what happened here

I have long-suspected this is misleading because NYC has a large older population that lives in nursing-home-like environments (densely packed housing) that aren't called nursing homes.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Talk about misleading headlines?

Form the article

At least six bars in northern and central Florida have now announced their closures amid new Covid-19 cases, which peaked on Sunday.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Magox said:

One of the mods deleted one of my comments over there.  Out of all the ignorant comments, one of mine that is based off of actual data gets deleted.   Pathetic :lol:

Lol they deleted me eviscerating some dude who attended protests but was 100% rona panicking.

A little hypocrisy exposure must go!