The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

On 4/25/2020 at 4:11 PM, Magox said:

The data that is coming out is overwhelming and it's pointing to the CoronaVirus having a much much lower mortality rate than what everyone feared.

I would highly recommend that you guys read that article.  It goes into all the antibody tests and hospital data and a few other nuggets.

These numbers are just crazy.   That data is actually data compiled by the hospitals....That isn't an antibody test or some study, this is actual hard data.  

If politicians namely Democrats are hell bent on going by the science and data, then they have to begin relaxing their shut downs and going about it in a much more targeted maner.

Every single passing day, Sweden's policy appears to have gotten it right.   They are beginning to look like geniuses.

Mortality rate is not the lone variant that should be considered.  Hospitalization rates, intubation rates, availability of ventilators and all the expertise to run them, availability of adequate quantities of  PPE so the system doesn't get overwhelmed are also factors that must be considered.

From what I've read about Sweden, it is very different from the US.  They have a higher number of single person households, which makes social distancing normal.  A larger percentage of the workforce has jobs that can be performed by telework.  The government has asked to people to socially distance and not travel which resulted in a 95% reduction in travel to some of their most popular vacation destinations.  Even the way they deal with their elderly is different.  From what I've heard, it isn't exactly life as normal.

The argument being made is one of utilitarianism.

It would be interesting to look at the crew of the USS Roosevelt and compare it to the NBA players and other studies cited in the link you provided.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

15 days later and still few classified as recovered.  Zero in most states.  Why?  Is the reason still that states can't 'catch up' with tracking the numbers?

CDC website now has no mention whatsoever (at least that I could find in several minutes of clicking links) of recovery.   Seems pretty odd to me that there's no concern at all about communicating how many people have recovered.

I have been pulling data from this site, which does display recoveries: https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

The daily update usually seems to occur between 4pm to 6pm Eastern each day.

The detail is housed in a Google doc, you can get to from the "as a spreadsheet" link towards the top of the page:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

Note the tabs at the top for different slices of data. Personally, I have been using the "States Daily 4 pm ET" tab, as my purposes are to see the incremental daily data (which it doesn't show, but you can use some Excel formulas to get to).

I spent about a week validating the data against what gets posted to the John Hopkins virus tracker (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html) and they are extremely close to each other when the daily update occurs at covidtracking.com. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

How many times have you been in a presser with the President?  Any President will do, don’t feel like you have to limit it to DJT. Feel free to round up. 

Fake news. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

Go ahead Mr Editor.  Rewrite it for clarity.

You should have a comma after ahead and a period after mister.  

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Eliminating the press from the room knocks down the chatter, the silly questions that frequently disrupt the meeting.  People would be able to ask questions directly, without redundancy and model the super-sized social distancing that seems to be the future of humanity.   Members of the press would surely be able to submit questions for consideration, and would certainly remain as “free” as one is when shareholders, subscription, advertising and web page clicks rule the day. 

Personally speaking, I like to hear directly from the President.  It’s one of the hallmarks of the Trump effect. 

“You weren’t called on.”  Also, I am looking for an alternative to your posts.  Ones that aren’t full of fake logic.  Like thaw misguided notion that the submission of questions for presidential review will eliminate redundancy. 

Edited by SectionC3

5 hours ago, BillStime said:

nice coordinated response - politics at its finest.

lmao 

Good ***** lord. Have you never worked for a corporation?  The worst thing that could happen is mixed signals from the top. If they had each had said something different you’d have bitched about that. 

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

That’s what everyone on the hoax list says. 

Am I on the list?  Is this thing posted somewhere so we can see it?  

14 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This is almost as dumb as it would be if trump put Jared Kushner in charge of ...

yeah.  Never mind.  

This is exactly why you’re on the sheep list.  Carry on.  

That's exactly why you're on the meathead list.

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Out of curiosity, how does Sweden's death rate per capita from Covid-19 compare to other Nordic countries?

Edited by Doc Brown

There were some calls here to see mortality numbers compared to historical average when you take out Covid deaths. Article on it here

This shows deaths not counted as Covid are significantly increased over the historical average (mostly probably uncounted Covid cases but I’m sure others dying for lack of care for other conditions). 

These numbers cast a skeptical eye on the argument that Covid deaths are massively inflated. NYC proved they were not in many ways but this makes the point that not only are they undercounted, they are undercounted by a lot. 

“Today’s rise in all-cause mortality takes place under conditions of extraordinary measures, such as social distancing, lockdowns, closed borders and increased medical care, at least some which have positive impacts,” said Vladimir Shkolnikov, a demographer at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research. “It is likely that without these measures, the current death toll would be even higher.”

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Out of curiosity, how does Sweden's death rate per capita from Covid-19 compare to other Nordic countries?

i am not 100% sure on all Nordic countries, but the article does state the following

there are more than 18,500 confirmed coronavirus cases in Sweden, with 2,194 deaths as of Sunday.

These numbers don't bode well when compared to other Nordic countries. Denmark, which earlier this month relaxed some of its restrictions, is closing in on 8,800 coronavirus cases. Its death toll stands at 422. Finland recently extended its ban on mass gatherings through the summer. The country has more than 4,500 confirmed cases and reported 190 coronavirus deaths. Both Denmark and Finland have a population of around 5 million each, which is roughly half of that of Sweden.

so based on that limited sample size of 3, would seem they have about 2x that of Finland and Denmark, which obviously would not be a good thing

. Having said that, their strategy , I think, and I may be wrong, is that yes , we have higher death rates initially, (albeit most in elderly care homes)... but all the while building herd immunity , which in theory will translate to a much shorter period of time that death rates spike, will require less time of extreme social distancing, and at the end of the "covid period" the death rate will be the same..but without the extreme economic "hard stop".  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Good ***** lord. Have you never worked for a corporation?  The worst thing that could happen is mixed signals from the top. If they had each had said something different you’d have bitched about that. 

Am I on the list?  Is this thing posted somewhere so we can see it?  

Brian Kemp agrees. 

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

That's exactly why you're on the meathead list.

Unfortunately as a member of the sheep list you are not allowed to start your own lists.   Carry on.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am not 100% sure on all Nordic countries, but the article does state the following

so based on that limited sample size of 3, would seem they have about 2x that of Finland and Denmark, which obviously would not be a good thing

. Having said that, their strategy , I think, and I may be wrong, is that yes , we have higher death rates initially, (albeit most in elderly care homes)... but all the while building herd immunity , which in theory will translate to a much shorter period of time that death rates spike, will require less time of extreme social distancing, and at the end of the "covid period" the death rate will be the same..but without the extreme economic "hard stop".  

Yup, by shutting down the entire country you're delaying the time frame to herd immunity, and adding more economic calamity.   

The areas outside the 4-5 hot zones in the US need to open up ASAP

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

There is no hoax list. Perhaps you are pretending to be a member of the Stasi. Perhaps under a Biden administration, your dreams would come true.

Comments like that will get you on the washed up psycho list.  Be careful.