The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I think what Trump and his task force should do is shut out the press corps with the briefings.  They should still conduct updates with about 15 questions that they get via Facebook or twitter from real citizens.   

Disagree. The media is critical to a functioning Democracy AND they can ask questions the administration does not want to answer. Further, the room has a nice contingent of admin-friendly press so they can always go to OAN of Fox when they need a lifeline. 

The real thing that should happen is Trump should get off the stage so we can get actual information. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

This will be a way they can get out their message while bypassing the media.  The media deserves nothing, they have proven themselves and continue to prove with each and every passing day that they are a rotten force and are a net negative for our society.  

Just because Trump embarrassed himself does not excuse him from dealing with a free press, though this latest temper tantrum of shutting down the briefings is an astounding reaction to him screwing up (or being sarcastic when he asked about the injections--ha!). Some of the media questioners have been embarrassing but you can't shut them down. That is absolutely the wrong approach. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

They should absolutely do this and I guarantee you that they would still have high viewership.

The briefings already have a high viewership as Trump keeps telling everyone. 

The R leadership has concerns about the briefings being too much of a "ME" show already, so maybe the better tack is to get Trump off the stage and get the information out from the experts and the guy who is in charge of the task force, Pence. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Disagree. The media is critical to a functioning Democracy AND they can ask questions the administration does not want to answer.

When they’re functioning properly they are 

But they’re not functioning honestly. And haven’t as long as you’ve been alive. 

For proof, just look at how often they’ve bungled the biggest stories of the past two decades:

* “Iraq has WMDs!”

* “The government isn’t illegally spying on citizens”

* “Trump is a Russian asset who conspired to steal the election w Putin!”

* “There’s no such thing as elite pedophile rings, Epstein isn’t really a pedo!” 

The establishment media’s cause is not truth. It’s not serving the country or protecting the republic. They’re cut outs for the intelligence services and special interests (Foreign and domestic) who use them to further their own control over you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, KD in CA said:

Any thoughts as to why the US categorizes so few people as 'recovered'?   

According to the daily numbers, only 5.5% of the total cases in the US (500k) have recovered, compared to 30% of the other 1.2m cases in the rest of the world.   27% if you just look at Canada + Europe and exclude phony numbers from places like BRIC, Iran, etc.

15 days later and still few classified as recovered.  Zero in most states.  Why?  Is the reason still that states can't 'catch up' with tracking the numbers?

CDC website now has no mention whatsoever (at least that I could find in several minutes of clicking links) of recovery.   Seems pretty odd to me that there's no concern at all about communicating how many people have recovered.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Disagree. The media is critical to a functioning Democracy AND they can ask questions the administration does not want to answer. Further, the room has a nice contingent of admin-friendly press so they can always go to OAN of Fox when they need a lifeline. 

The real thing that should happen is Trump should get off the stage so we can get actual information. 

Just because Trump embarrassed himself does not excuse him from dealing with a free press, though this latest temper tantrum of shutting down the briefings is an astounding reaction to him screwing up (or being sarcastic when he asked about the injections--ha!). Some of the media questioners have been embarrassing but you can't shut them down. That is absolutely the wrong approach. 

The R leadership has concerns about the briefings being too much of a "ME" show already, so maybe the better tack is to get Trump off the stage and get the information out from the experts and the guy who is in charge of the task force, Pence. 

I disagree, the media is a broken institution and they deserve nothing.  He should work around them

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Well said. It would be good for the country if Trump shuts the eff up and gets off the stage.  It’s sad to say this about a sitting president.  But he lacks credibility with about 60% of the population.  I don’t share Pence’s politics, and I think him a rather odd person, but he does the job well at the briefings.  So do Fauci, Birx, and Adams. 

Edited by SectionC3

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

November 3rd won't be kind to this post. 

Fake logic.  You assume that credibility is a threshold test that must be met in order to earn a vote.  

That said, I agree with the notion that Trump may win again.  Despite the enormous mess the country is in and the enormous role trump has had in failing to contain the mess, he is hanging around in the polls.  He may be a narcissistic dotard, but he is not to be underestimated in the general election. 

On 4/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, GG said:

How come nobody is bringing up Dr Birx interview with ABC, where she basically admitted that Trump tried to parrot what he heard the experts discuss, but as usual he flubbed it? 

All the more reason why he shouldn't talk at the pressers.  He sows confusion and makes his team look incompetent.  He adds nothing of value.

She didn't not categorically deny that he was totally off base in his comments. 

Is that a triple negative?  Way to confuse matters even further.

Edited by Scraps
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

All the more reason why he shouldn't talk at the pressers.  He sows confusion and makes his team look incompetent.  He adds nothing of value.

Is that a triple negative?  Way to confuse matters even further.

One would figure an engineer could manage a triple negative.  Guess not. 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

welcome to the fake news list, sir.  You’re on it. 

Hoax.  Reporters are real citizens, just like you and me. 

How many times have you been in a presser with the President?  Any President will do, don’t feel like you have to limit it to DJT. Feel free to round up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

One would think you could write a clear sentence.  Guess not.

It was clear for everyone else, but I remember that engineers don’t like English.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

welcome to the fake news list, sir.  You’re on it. 

Hoax.  Reporters are real citizens, just like you and me. 

Would you be less offended if I took out the word “real”?

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Eliminating the press from the room knocks down the chatter, the silly questions that frequently disrupt the meeting.  People would be able to ask questions directly, without redundancy and model the super-sized social distancing that seems to be the future of humanity.   Members of the press would surely be able to submit questions for consideration, and would certainly remain as “free” as one is when shareholders, subscription, advertising and web page clicks rule the day. 

Personally speaking, I like to hear directly from the President.  It’s one of the hallmarks of the Trump effect. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 3