The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

What is the purpose of having White House News Conferences when the Lamestream Media asks nothing but hostile questions, & then refuses to report the truth or facts accurately. They get record ratings, & the American people get nothing but Fake News. Not worth the time & effort!

?? Not worth the time & effort!??

Would that be actual news of Don's continued lies? 

I wonder if he's being sarcastic again?? 

it is not all about RATINGS 

it is about people LIVES and livelihood 

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yup.  Your feelings are hurt pretty easily.  I was right to say that you belong on the snowflake list. 

Also, gentle reminder: you're on the bad grammar list because of your disrespect for the serial comma.  It just happened again. 

Finally, for what it's worth, I have no interest in "dominat[ing] this board."  Not one bit.  I also have neither care for nor concern about "why people here compare [me] to past posters."  

I though the Grampa Simpson reference pertained to one of Trump's daily briefings there for a second. 

You are supposedly an attorney. I'm not sure I'd allow you to work for me. I like accurate people, accomplished in their field. 

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You are supposedly an attorney. I'm not sure I'd allow you to work for me. I like accurate people, accomplished in their field. 

Not an issue.  I wouldn't take you on as a client.  So nothing to worry about there.  

12 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yeah he's on the snowflake list.  He wimped out today.  Can't take the heat.  

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

With respect to the last comment, I hope you aren't a self-loather.  That's probably a tough way to walk the journey of life. 

Edited by SectionC3

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am not 100% sure on all Nordic countries, but the article does state the following

so based on that limited sample size of 3, would seem they have about 2x that of Finland and Denmark, which obviously would not be a good thing

. Having said that, their strategy , I think, and I may be wrong, is that yes , we have higher death rates initially, (albeit most in elderly care homes)... but all the while building herd immunity , which in theory will translate to a much shorter period of time that death rates spike, will require less time of extreme social distancing, and at the end of the "covid period" the death rate will be the same..but without the extreme economic "hard stop".  

So, the theory is that even though they have double the deaths per capita from other similar countries that herd immunity will cause less deaths in the long run.  It's an interesting way of implementing things and I guess the long term numbers will speak for themselves but they're basing that off an assumption.  That's quite the gamble and it will be interesting to see how much it actually helps their economy in the long run.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Realist.  He sees it's hurting him more than helping him.  I'd honestly just have the doctors talk and maybe just have Pence there since he is head of the task force.

He is still smarting from his sarcasm not going over well / gaffe.

The Covid posse would be so welcome each day. It would get the guy off stage who knows the least about this and also take away the bug-zapper that the press flies can't resist flying into. If only they would do this!

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So, the theory is that even though they have double the deaths per capita from other similar countries that herd immunity will cause less deaths in the long run.  It's an interesting way of implementing things and I guess the long term numbers will speak for themselves but they're basing that off an assumption.  That's quite the gamble and it will be interesting to see how much it actually helps their economy in the long run.

Yep, it is interesting. 5 weeks ago I would have said they were nuts , now I think it is the correct approach. 

BTW, everyone who believes the above, and is under 45, should sign up for this. I am 57, and would if they allowed it. 

interesting approach , 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/04/27/vaccine-infection-volunteer-coronavirus/

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

He is still smarting from his sarcasm not going over well / gaffe.

The Covid posse would be so welcome each day. It would get the guy off stage who knows the least about this and also take away the bug-zapper that the press flies can't resist flying into. If only they would do this!

I would idiot proof it for him and just have him ask likely questions without allowing reporters in.

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Yep, it is interesting. 5 weeks ago I would have said they were nuts , now I think it is the correct approach. 

BTW, everyone who believes the above, and is under 45, should sign up for this. I am 57, and would if they allowed it. 

interesting approach , 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/04/27/vaccine-infection-volunteer-coronavirus/

Since it's a Black Swan event I'm glad at least one country took a different approach so we can better prepare for the next one.  It definitely wouldn't have been the right approach for NYC but pry a good idea for the more suburban/rural areas of the country that haven't been hit as hard.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I would idiot proof it for him and just have him ask likely questions without allowing reporters in.

Controlling the questions sounds pretty fascist. I don't think the media comes off well right now in many of these but locking them out is the wrong way to go. 

If Pepcid cures this thing, we're all going to have a "get the f### outta here moment." 

(Studies are very preliminary in NYC hospitals but noting it for amusement.)

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn't Great Britain initially take the same approach?  I'm not saying that the gamble is a bad one because Great Britain may have backed off of it.  It may also be that the "herd immunity" approach works better in countries and areas with lesser population density (obviously) with a populace sufficiently educated to grasp and respect the risk of the virus. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Controlling the questions sounds pretty fascist. I don't think the media comes off well right now in many of these but locking them out is the wrong way to go. 

If Pepcid cures this thing, we're all going to have a "get the f### outta here moment." 

(Studies are very preliminary in NYC hospitals but noting it for amusement.)

No kidding on the Pepcid.  I saw that this morning and was stunned. Crazier things have happened, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Didn't Great Britain initially take the same approach?  I'm not saying that the gamble is a bad one because Great Britain may have backed off of it.  It may also be that the "herd immunity" approach works better in countries and areas with lesser population density (obviously) with a populace sufficiently educated to grasp and respect the risk of the virus. 

The UK approach was to try this, then their healthcare system got mobbed quickly and they went to lockdown. Sweden has half the population of Pennsylvania and one city the size of Jacksonville, spread across an area the size of California. Sweden has many other differences too. It's a nice lab but it does not extrapolate well to the US. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

The UK approach was to try this, then their HC system got mobbed quickly and they went to lockdown. Sweden has half the population of Pennsylvania and one city the size of Jacksonville, spread across an area the size of California. Sweden has many other differences too. It's a nice lab but it does not extrapolate well to the US. 

Yup.  NYC illustrates the point well.  Density there is comparable to Italy, and herd immunity would be a bad plan in that area.  But it might work, or might have worked, in many parts of the western United States.  I don't know how reasonable it would have been with interstate travel here, but it's an interesting topic for the "autopsy" of the pandemic response. 

Now imagine the outrage if the head of the Federal government signed an order that prevented nursing homes from mandating a Wuhan virus test prior to admission or readmission?    Where have most fatalities occurred?

But, yeah, let's zero in on drinking Lysol.

The coronavirus patients began arriving the last week of March, transferred to the Gurwin Jewish Nursing and Rehabilitation Center under a New York state mandate requiring nursing homes to accept those recovering from COVID-19, even if they still might be contagious.

At the time, the Long Island nursing home had only one known resident who had contracted the virus, according to the facility’s president and CEO, Stuart Almer.

A month later, Gurwin is battling an outbreak that’s killed 24 residents — only three of whom were hospital transfers — and one staff member, who worked in housekeeping, Almer said. And the nursing home is still mandated to take in recovering hospital patients known to have the virus, potentially increasing its spread in the facility.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2