The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Fauci earlier this week noted that we are massively under testing for what is needed to safely control this and now Birx as well. Maybe we can stop focusing on lab capacity as a critical data point now?

A different type of coronavirus test is required to screen the U.S. population on the necessary scale, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said in an interview on Sunday, saying that it will take “a huge technology breakthrough” to get there. 

What’s needed, she said on the NBC program “Meet the Press,” is a screening test that detects antigens, like the screening tests used for flu, strep and other diseases. Antigens stimulate the body to produce antibodies, and are essentially evidence of an immune response.

“We have to be able to detect the antigen, rather than constantly trying to detect the actual live virus or the viral particles itself, and to really move into antigen testing,” she said. The current RNA tests, which are more precise but more laborious, would then be used to confirm diagnoses.

If a “ huge technology breakthrough “ = a long time, that idea should be jettisoned. We don’t have the luxury of time. The medical / health experts need to realize we are not looking at a perfect solution/ outcome here. 

52 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

With our media, I can imagine a nationwide panic over just about anything. Heck, Wuhan virus led to head scratching run on toilet paper of all things. Would a potential food shortage lead to an oversupply of TP ? I don’t know, but anything’s possible. I think they need to find a way to deal with any issues at meat processing plants, and certain items could be in short supply or see major price increases. It would have to be on a massive scale though, to cause significant food shortages. Maybe I’m off base, but I don’t see that as likely. Overreaction, however is expected at this point. 

...MOST definitely.....at the same time, the country is in "crisis management mode", perhaps worse than 1918 And exacerbated by the "invisible enemy"......forgetting politicization (um right), what do you logically measure the Trump administration against?.....objectively?...seriously?...r u kidding?.......TDS prevails.....I never realized that we lose 1,800 Americans daily to heart disease or 649,000 annually....CDC 2018-2019 US flu stats said 45 million were infected with 810,000 hospitalizations resulting in 61,000 deaths...and the headlines were where??......certainly NOT discounting Covid-19 by any means......but we are light years away from establishing a solid denominator because we have NO idea as to the asymptomatics.....not sure of the percentage, but isn't the annual flu vaccine only 40+% effective because of multiple strains and how many actually forgo the vaccine anyway?.....probably an unsubstantiated "what if" syndrome, but what happens if the current situation turns out to be the proverbial "Cry Wolf" syndrome?.....for me, erring on the side of caution and being pro actively prepared going forward makes more sense than the current situation of being unprepared across ALL governmental and private sector levels.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Sugar Nipples is not going to run for POTUS, he has way too many skeletons in his closet, and he knows it.

Gonna be difficult.  He seems stuck on the pandemic being a long term matter and will be criticized by the opposition for leaving a job before it is finished if he runs/drafted.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Funny how that works. 

Trump pointed that out a few pressers ago. The difference between the media coverage on Georgia (bad) va Colorado (good) has been stark. He also (rhetorically) asked, "Why is that?"  But, of course, the "msm" has no shame and continues to beat the drum.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, shoshin said:

New York will follow the Trump/CDC guidelines. First state to do so I think. 

We will see exactly what this means, I guess. With Cuomo , and to an increasing extent Poloncarz, I expect the worst. I’ll hope for the best, but neither one of them inspires much confidence.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Compared to complaining its oppression that the government is taking serious public health measures?? Ya sure buddy 

It’s pretty clear from the numbers ( actual results and not projections) that it’s largely an individual health issue. The governments role at this point should exclusively  deal with maintaining capacity in the health care system, not restricting the rights of the people to go on with daily life. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

In 13 hours over the last 3 week, Trump spent just 4½ minutes expressing condolences for COVID-19 victims. More than 54,000 Americans are dead.

13 hours of Trump: The president fills briefings with attacks and boasts, but little empathy

3y85i4.jpg

....1/3 of Covid-19 related deaths are in NYC....94% were identified with pre-existing medical conditions.....Feds through Medicare funding pay $39,000 versus $13,000 if death is rubber stamped as "Covid-19 related".....so MO MONEY ...NYS auctioned off surplus ventilators yet screamed to the Feds for 30,000 ventilators and now sending ventilators to Massachusetts......FACTS?....seriously?.......naw they're immaterial.......home schooling ain't working...........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s pretty clear from the numbers ( actual results and not projections) that it’s largely an individual health issue. The governments role at this point should exclusively  deal with maintaining capacity in the health care system, not restricting the rights of the people to go on with daily life. 

This makes no sense at all. You even contradict yourself 

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok so that is supposed to have me look at you in different light?  

I hope it’s not the UV might the president wants to use.  That would be bad.  

I have no idea whether you will look at me in a different light.  And honestly I don’t care.  It’s an internet message board.  Whatevs.  Even if it wasn’t an internet message board, I probably still wouldn’t care.  My life improved dramatically when I stopped worrying about what others think of me.  As long as I live my life the right way and do the best I can every day, I’m good.  

26 minutes ago, BillStime said:

In 13 hours over the last 3 week, Trump spent just 4½ minutes expressing condolences for COVID-19 victims. More than 54,000 Americans are dead.

13 hours of Trump: The president fills briefings with attacks and boasts, but little empathy

3y85i4.jpg

Hint: it’s because he’s a hopeless narcissist and he doesn’t care.  

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....1/3 of Covid-19 related deaths are in NYC....94% were identified with pre-existing medical conditions.....Feds through Medicare funding pay $39,000 versus $13,000 if death is rubber stamped as "Covid-19 related".....so MO MONEY ...NYS auctioned off surplus ventilators yet screamed to the Feds for 30,000 ventilators and now sending ventilators to Massachusetts......FACTS?....seriously?.......naw they're immaterial.......home schooling ain't working...........