The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Mayo Clinic to furlough or reduce pay of 30,000 employees

Hospitals on the Rochester campus are operating at 35 to 40 percent capacity, and surgical volume is at 25 to 30 percent of the level that was expected. About 60 percent of Mayo Clinic's business comes from elective procedures of the kind that are now on hold.

This is latest step in Mayo Clinic's financial stabilization strategy to address an anticipated $3 billion loss due to the pandemic forcing a temporary halt in all elective procedures and average medical appointments.

(Excerpt) Read more at postbulletin.com ...

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, using UV light to prevent exposure in spaces is logical and should be pursued.  I’ve used UV lights in my lab for years to disinfect but as pointed out those applications are not compatible with having people in the room.  Using UVC is a great idea.

My previous comments were directed towards internal applications of UV light.  While some have posted a couple companies thinking about that those applications have a long, long way to go to be considered.  Again I serve on an FDA devices panel and the vast majority of such ideas do not get to approval.  Not that they should not be considered but to point out the difficulties.

you're missing the Forest for the trees. 

being... light has a long history of combating viruses and the outrage on the Left over what Trump said is ludicrous. Trump was more than likely trying to summarize what some of his experts were talking about. the Left, as usual sensationalizes everything to the opposite extreme.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

There's another angle to this, at least in PA, in that all health systems are not created equal. There are certainly the haves and have nots, and most often, it's the for-profit hospitals and systems that buckle first because they super crunch the pennies. 

They staff the leanest, pay the least which inevitably fields the B and C teams,  have just enough equipment on hand for normal every day operations, and all decisions are made states away. Its very fragile. 

For sure, which is why regional approaches make the most sense. What is stranger about PA's approach to reopening based on cases/population is that the Philadelphia area has the best hospitals in the world but will be the last to open. 

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Same deal in the nursing homes. Some nursing homes are run very well. Others are nightmares. 

There is hardly a nursing home that will be spared in this once it gets going unless we make DRASTIC changes to how to support their residents.  

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

When I go out and I have food from a restaurant that serves dim sum am I no longer able to say I’m eating Chinese food? 

Don’t forget to wear your MAGA hat; likely made in China.  

So we should call them Chinese Hats right?

22 minutes ago, westside2 said:

You're an idiot 

You’re famous

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

you're missing the Forest for the trees. 

being... light has a long history of combating viruses and the outrage on the Left over what Trump said is ludicrous. Trump was more than likely trying to summarize what some of his experts were talking about. the Left, as usual sensationalizes everything to the opposite extreme.

I do not approach science as a left or right thing.  I watched that press conference, what the president said was irresponsible and potentially dangerous.  He brought up injecting disinfectants.  He brought up passing strong UV rays and such through the skin.  The problem is that can be very harmful yet someone listening could try that because he heard his nation’s leader theorize about it. Rather than trying to artificially parse what he said or then try and claim sarcasm the next day he needs to get it through his head that his words and the precision of how he uses those words matter.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and own it.  That is what is needed right now from all leaders if government.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Don’t forget to wear your MAGA hat; likely made in China.  

So we should call them Chinese Hats right?

We can call them Chinese hats if they originated in China but I don’t think baseball hats originated in China. ? 

51 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What about the farmers that grow the food? 

....more importantly, what do we actually know about the potential food supply chain being interrupted stateside?....more reports about food processing facilities shutting down due to Covid-19 worker cases......put EVERYTHING else aside for a moment regarding Covid-19, can you imagine a nationwide panic if there are significant interruptions to food chain supply?.....if you think "cabin fever lockdown" is an issue now, can you imagine significant nationwide food shortages?....

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....more importantly, what do we actually know about the potential food supply chain being interrupted stateside?....more reports about food processing facilities shutting down due to Covid-19 worker cases......put EVERYTHING else aside for a moment regarding Covid-19, can you imagine a nationwide panic if there are significant interruptions to food chain supply?.....if you think "cabin fever lockdown" is an issue now, can you imagine significant nationwide food shortages?....

With our media, I can imagine a nationwide panic over just about anything. Heck, Wuhan virus led to head scratching run on toilet paper of all things. Would a potential food shortage lead to an oversupply of TP ? I don’t know, but anything’s possible. I think they need to find a way to deal with any issues at meat processing plants, and certain items could be in short supply or see major price increases. It would have to be on a massive scale though, to cause significant food shortages. Maybe I’m off base, but I don’t see that as likely. Overreaction, however is expected at this point. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

So I went to the store and wore a mask for the first time because I had to. Wore a bandana and all I could think of was this:

Just make sure to take the right color for your neighborhood or you might die of other causes.

• Haha (+1) 1

Fauci earlier this week noted that we are massively under testing for what is needed to safely control this and now Birx as well. Maybe we can stop focusing on lab capacity as a critical data point now?

A different type of coronavirus test is required to screen the U.S. population on the necessary scale, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said in an interview on Sunday, saying that it will take “a huge technology breakthrough” to get there. 

What’s needed, she said on the NBC program “Meet the Press,” is a screening test that detects antigens, like the screening tests used for flu, strep and other diseases. Antigens stimulate the body to produce antibodies, and are essentially evidence of an immune response.

“We have to be able to detect the antigen, rather than constantly trying to detect the actual live virus or the viral particles itself, and to really move into antigen testing,” she said. The current RNA tests, which are more precise but more laborious, would then be used to confirm diagnoses.