Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as Head Coach

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't consider him a good or bad HC, just an average one.  Sort of like Jason Garrett.  He's not going to out-scheme you - if the talent is there, he can install a scripted offense that becomes stale as the game or season progresses.  His defenses have been hit-or-miss.  He probably won't require major personnel adjustments on offense.  He's not the type to stand up to Jerry Jones - he's kind of milquetoast, like Garrett.  He's basically the same coach and personality as Garrett.

This is exactly my take. He is an upgrade on Jason Garrett but in style and personality? He is Jason Garrett. I don't like the hire. Think the Cowboys needed proper leader of men who commands a room. Not sure that is McCarthy. But as you say, Jerry will be able to control him. I liked Matt Rhule as a fit for that job, thought he was a perfect fit. 

They will likely be better in 2020. They have a great roster. But I don't think this is a hire that makes the Cowboys massively better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

This is awesome. Dallas will suck for another 3 years. McCarthy screwed up prime Rodgers he won't do better with Prescott.

I couldn't even begin to care what you could possibly mean by that, just a quick silly comment?  :D

2018 NFL Green Bay Packers 6 9 1 3rd of 4   376 400 -24 McCarthy,Philbin Bakhtiari Rodgers                              
2017 NFL Green Bay Packers 7 9 0 3rd of 4   320 384 -64 McCarthy Bakhtiari Hundley                              
2016 NFL Green Bay Packers* 10 6 0 1st of 4 Lost Conf 432 388 44 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              
2015 NFL Green Bay Packers* 10 6 0 2nd of 4 Lost Div 368 323 45 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              
2014 NFL Green Bay Packers* 12 4 0 1st of 4 Lost Conf 486 348 138 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              
2013 NFL Green Bay Packers* 8 7 1 1st of 4 Lost WC 417 428 -11 McCarthy Sitton Rodgers                              
2012 NFL Green Bay Packers* 11 5 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 433 336 97 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              
2011 NFL Green Bay Packers* 15 1 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 560 359 201 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              
2010 NFL Green Bay Packers* 10 6 0 2nd of 4 Won SB 388 240 148 McCarthy Matthews Rodgers                              
2009 NFL Green Bay Packers* 11 5 0 2nd of 4 Lost WC 461 297 164 McCarthy Rodgers Rodgers                              

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

What a terrible coaching hire.

McCarthy has been an underachieving head coach for years. 

I think part of it was issues with rodgers, and just a general complacency.  I don't think he worked as hard as he could have in GB and it honestly showed.  Playbook wasn't evolving, just a super stagnant predictable offense that worked because rodgers is really good, and had freedom at the LOS.  He didn't have a hand in personnel, but i felt like him and the GM were a bit disconnected too. 

Jerry is not an easy man to work for, but i think time away from football and rodgers will help him.  Maybe he turns back the clock and goes to his roots here with a marty ball style rush offense.  Who knows - but i do think he realizes that he needs to adapt some.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think part of it was issues with rodgers, and just a general complacency.  I don't think he worked as hard as he could have in GB and it honestly showed.  Playbook wasn't evolving, just a super stagnant predictable offense that worked because rodgers is really good, and had freedom at the LOS.  He didn't have a hand in personnel, but i felt like him and the GM were a bit disconnected too. 

Jerry is not an easy man to work for, but i think time away from football and rodgers will help him.  Maybe he turns back the clock and goes to his roots here with a marty ball style rush offense.  Who knows - but i do think he realizes that he needs to adapt some.  

I don't really think one year is enough time to completely reestablish yourself as a head coach. It's not enough time to reflect on what you need to improve on.

I think the Cowboys will be getting the same coach the Packers just fired. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I don't really think one year is enough time to completely reestablish yourself as a head coach. It's not enough time to reflect on what you need to improve on.

I think the Cowboys will be getting the same coach the Packers just fired. 

Yeah - long offseason though.  I think he needs to get away from hiring the same people like philbin or mcadoo.  

It makes sense to bring along guys you have either worked with in the past etc.  But sometimes *cough* juan castillo *cough* - that guy isn't a very good coach.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Man... Hard to judge this. Feels like a good hire, but also feels very Dallas... 

I agree.  Maybe McCarthy has grown in the last year, but I can’t help but think he’ll have the same issues as in GB.  Also it feels a little like it’ll be Back to the Future for Dallas as I’m not sure he’ll modernize his offense to today’s NFL. 

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  Maybe McCarthy has grown in the last year, but I can’t help but think he’ll have the same issues as in GB.  Also it feels a little like it’ll be Back to the Future for Dallas as I’m not sure he’ll modernize his offense to today’s NFL. 

Yeah.. Same feeling here. There's been a lot made about how he's spent his year off studying how to modernize, but that seems questionable... Either way, I hope he sucks cause screw Dallas.

• Like (+1) 1

What happened to the Rooney rule. Let me first lead that I think it’s a shame. It should be best man for the job not color of skin. Anyway I thought you have to interview a minority. Or is it that it’s the cowgirls and they can do what they want?

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

What happened to the Rooney rule. Let me first lead that I think it’s a shame. It should be best man for the job not color of skin. Anyway I thought you have to interview a minority. Or is it that it’s the cowgirls and they can do what they want?

They did:

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Marvin Lewis. 

McCarthy is an alright coach. Yes he had Rogers in his prime and only got 1 SuperBowl, but he also had to deal with the Packers and their lack of willingness to spend in free agency. He will never have that problem in Dallas.

in other words, I expected worse for the Cowboys