I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

No you don’t “credit” him for being a idiot. If this is the state of Allen fans, I weep for the future.

Crybaby.

i think  he panicked, but the funny thing is if it’s a better lateral, the sports world is abuzz with the gutsy brilliance of the young Qb. 

If Knox could have grabbed that lateral it could have been a play for the ages

Posted (edited)

On the play Allen was tackled at around the 50 and there was 1:04 on the clock so there was no need for any type of desperation play at that point.  And Knox's path to the end zone about 55 yards away was not clear as there we 3 or 4 defenders up-field closing on the play.  If you watch the play over Josh fakes a lateral over initially then tosses the ball while being brought to the ground.  In that situation it was a foolish and unnecessary risk.  Knox's reaction to the ball bouncing on the turf was heads up thinking.   

That said there were a lot of takeaways for Allen in this game and it will be a learning experience going into next season.  His hero ball skills can be a good thing but he needs to dial it back a bit and pick his spots.  In that situation the risk was clearly higher than the reward. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Crybaby.

i think  he panicked, but the funny thing is if it’s a better lateral, the sports world is abuzz with the gutsy brilliance of the young Qb. 

The criers are really the ones defending every move he makes, good bad or otherwise. It’s infantile fanboyism. Not sure what sports “world” you live on but i am assuming it’s somewhere inside your own head.

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

They dropped at least 8 guys into overage so there just wasn't much to pick from first of all.  And if you look at the play DiMarco had position on the two guys.  He jumps a fraction of a second later he catches the ball.

People yell all the time about giving your guys a chance to make a play.  Allen did and he gets criticized for that as well, I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, motorj said:

Knox just had little awareness today, big time TE's make this play, he also missed a block that josh would easily ran to fg range. 

Yeah this was a huge miss.  He almost got Josh killed too

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

The criers are really the ones defending every move he makes, good bad or otherwise. It’s infantile fanboyism. Not sure what sports “world” you live on but i am assuming it’s somewhere inside your own head.

I wasn’t arguing with you, I was poking fun at you weeping for the future. But since you bring it up, that is less infantile fanboy and more overly dramatic 13 years old middle school girl. 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s all coaching...Josh doesn’t make bad decisions.  Not on him

That lateral looked like a glitchy fumble from Madden.  There was a lot of bad from the Bills in this game. 

I wish “common sense” would prevail for the OP.... he should be an NFL official.

that lateral was the dumbest plays I’ve seems in a tightly contested playoff game in quite a while 

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

were lucky Texans defenders can’t catch.... also, if a chubby FB is doubled, who is open on that play somewhere on the field 

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think you might be on to something here.  And for the record over the many years I've watched college & pro football I've seen that play made a number of times.  In fact it used to be standard procedure for the trailing guy like Knox to hang back in the expectation that the runner might lateral the ball.  I think other old timers would agree that this is how it used to be done.

My guess is Allen had two thoughts that triggered the lateral:

1)  the first was to get the ball out of bounds

2) the 2nd was that Allen probably noticed that there was nothing between Knox and the end zone.  Sure they would have probably run him down but who knows.  And gaining 20 more yards and getting out of bounds isn't such a bad thing.

Bottom line is that the play did no damage and might have been huge if Allen/Knox had pulled it off.

giving josh a lot of credit for being cool, calm, aware of the entire field and making calculated decisions during an absolute melt down. 

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They dropped at least 8 guys into overage so there just wasn't much to pick from first of all.  And if you look at the play DiMarco had position on the two guys.  He jumps a fraction of a second later he catches the ball.

People yell all the time about giving your guys a chance to make a play.  Allen did and he gets criticized for that as well, I guess.

that guy isn’t your FB with 3 yards/game average. You let brown and beas make plays.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're both nuts.  He threw the lateral while falling to the ground after the hit.  It was careless and I'm sure he could take that decision back if he could.  Just a lack of situational awareness as we had enough time left.

I’ve been a Josh Allen fan since late last season. I doubted the pick, but came around after watching him last season. I’m more hopeful for the future than I ever was with our other QB’s. However, I learned yesterday that some fans will always wear Bills goggles. You can’t say anything truthful about some players performances without absurd excuses. Everyone who isn’t a Bills fan saw Allen playing spastic football In the second half where he looked an ultra talented guy who was just learning how to play the game. We still have a bright future, but Allen has a lot to learn. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. That lateral was one of the worst mental errors I’ve seen in the postseason. 

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

jokes aside, on that Cunningham hit he may have been and I was a little surprised they didn’t check him - though it’d take A LOT for the official to make that call

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Almost no doubt he was concussed on that QB sweep where he was drilled helmet to helmet.

Please i see players do that all the time and people love them for it when it goes correctly. Only issue was Knox wasnt expecting it and instead of going towards open field he went towards Allen and pitch went over his head.

If he had hit Knox... everyone would have loved the play saying how he is so creative and can see things that others cant. In retrospect it was a harmless play that lost 3 to 4 yards of field position. 

Upon review of the play...

Allen last eye checks with Knox while Allen is on the run an at roughly 30-31 yard line.

Allen then is hit, does a 360 and laterals at the 48-49.

So...roughly 20 yards after last seeing Knox, Allen assumes Knox is anywhere near him?  Just doesn’t add up that this was anyway a plan.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Knox was not in the clear. Can we stop with that false narrative?

Can we also stop trying to justify one of the dumbest damned things I have ever witnessed happen on a football field?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen did take a shot to the head on one of his runs in the game. I’ll have to look to see if the horrible decision making started after that.  It would make a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, nkreed said:

Almost no doubt he was concussed on that QB sweep where he was drilled helmet to helmet.

That’s the play I was thinking of.  I was surprised he wasn’t checked out by the medical people after that. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... the play did stop the clock, which the Bills needed ...

It was a crazy play but the ball going OB basically gave us a free timeout when we had none. That was actually pretty huge as a ton of time would have ran off the clock if Josh was tackled in bounds.

Edited by Real McNasty

If Nathan Peterman or any other quarterback we've had makes that play, darn near this entire board would be saying to get rid of them. For whatever reason Josh gets a pass on this site. People are afraid to admit when he makes bonehead plays. Instead they blame the fat guys up front or the offensive coordinator. Make no mistake about it if Josh doesn't improve next year we are in deep trouble. So far he does not look like a quarterback capable of winning a championship despite his off the charts athleticism.