Houston Tailgate Official Info

GAME - SATURDAY 3:35PM (CST) 

Friday - party will be at Christian's Tailgate Bar and Grill Midtown (2000 Bagby St Houston, TX 77002) There is no entry fee for this, we are still working on the times for it.

•    Yes there are several locations of Christian's Tailgate, please go to the MIDTOWN location on Bagby St.

Saturday - tailgate will be off of 7667-7691 Fannin St. Houston, TX 77054 SEE MAPS BELOW!

Buffalo-Style tailgate - why change what we know works!

Pay to park and set up your tailgate.  We will open LONG before the NRG lots open (still getting details if we can open before 8am).  BYOB!

(Anybody who was there last year will understand why we don't want to tailgate in the official Texans lot.)

I work pretty closely with the local backers President so feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Bills map.jpg

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
More Info
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Any chance we can get this thread pinned for the week?

Also, to address some FAQs:

1. Stay in or around downtown for the best amenities.  There is NOTHING to do around the Stadium or the Medical Center.  The Galleria is a nice area as well with lots to do but the traffic there drives me insane.

2. If you have already booked the Med Center or Stadium area do not despair since you are a quick and cheap Uber ride away from Downtown and Midtown.   You can also use the Metro Rail to get from downtown/midtown/med center which drops off about a quarter mile from the Official Bills tailgate. Note: taking the Metro Rail AFTER an event at NRG is pretty terrible in my experience.  

3.  Bills fans will be sitting in every conceivable section and row in NRG.  Get the best tix you can on the visitors sideline if you can but I think the home side is actually cheaper right now and you're likely to be sitting near dispassionate Houston fans and loud Bills fans there too.

4. Things to do: Eat and Drink.  The uninitiated should head to Truth BBQ or Pit Room for some Cue.  El Tiempo and Ninfa's on Navigation essentially defined Tex Mex cuisine so get some beef fajitas, a bird bath of queso, and tip some margaritas.  We also have fantastic Vietnamese (Les Baget) and pretty much everything else you can imagine. PM me for suggestions.

5. The game is at 3:30 Central Time which is EXACTLY the same time as 4:30 Eastern.  Weird, I know.  One of science's greatest mysteries but its true so don't miss the game.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Friday night???

Remember there's the Tailgate at Christians on Bagby.

call me a curmudgeon, but unless that place is like 20,000 sq feet, i would not plan on spending to much time there. The "official" parties have been so crowded since that Jacksonville game.

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

call me a curmudgeon, but unless that place is like 20,000 sq feet, i would not plan on spending to much time there. The "official" parties have been so crowded since that Jacksonville game.

I ended up booking my room close to there, but you’re right, it’ll probably be a madhouse. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

@Jauronimo I already booked MF Sushi for myself and the Mrs Friday night since we are in the med center area. Looks amazing. 

If you're into fine Japanese you may also consider Uchi and Kata Robata which have are more contemporary Japanese offerings and less pure sushi relative to MF.  On the more casual side I really enjoy Izakaya (which is across the street from Christians Tailgate) and Izakaya Wa (about a mile further down Gray Street) as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am staying a block away and plan to walk to the game.   What do people do for grills, etc for out of town games as far as grills and whatnot? I will be there with a couple friends but we don't have any tailgate gear or anything.  Can we show up with food to share?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It will likely be a mad house.  The bar isn't very big BUT the street outside the bar will be closed and fenced off.  During the Bills v Texans block party last year the street was spacious and the bar area was jammed.  Carry cash as the bars on the street will be cash only most likely.   I know el Presidente of the Houston Bills Backers is talking to other bars nearby about co-hosting the party, but no details on that at the moment.

Keep in mind that Christian's Tailgate Midtown is in a lively area with many bars within short walking distance.  Even IF the official tailgate party gets drank dry and over crowded I fully expect to see a takeover of the general Midtown area.  Swing by the Tailgate and if its too packed to get in, I would recommend heading two blocks over (assuming we don't get a few other bars to officially co-host) to Lil' Woodrows  Midtown on Brazos which is meant to handle a huge crowd.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Any recommendations for a good steakhouse / seafood place to hit for dinner Friday? Looking for something local not chain type. 

Pappa Bros in Downtown is the best steakhouse in the city in my opinion.  B&B Butcher on Washington Ave is where you're most likely to run into Beyonce.  Killen's Steakhouse in Memorial is less conventional and combines steakhouse with Texas BBQ and my one visit was excellent.  I had an underwhelming experience at Georgia James but my girlfren has been back several times since and vouches for it.  She also loves Doris Metropolitan.  

There is no shortage of fine steakhouses in Houston.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

GAME - SATURDAY 3:35PM (CST) 

Friday - party will be at Christian's Tailgate Bar and Grill Midtown (2000 Bagby St Houston, TX 77002) There is no entry fee for this, we are still working on the times for it.

•    Yes there are several locations of Christian's Tailgate, please go to the MIDTOWN location on Bagby St.

Saturday - tailgate will be off of 7667-7691 Fannin St. Houston, TX 77054 SEE MAPS BELOW!

Buffalo-Style tailgate - why change what we know works!

Pay to park and set up your tailgate.  We will open LONG before the NRG lots open (still getting details if we can open before 8am).  BYOB!

(Anybody who was there last year will understand why we don't want to tailgate in the official Texans lot.)

I work pretty closely with the local backers President so feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Bills map.jpg

Looks like the street will be closed off at noon but DJ Soulstar won't start spinning until 5 or 6 which I suppose you could call the "official" start of the party.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I am staying a block away and plan to walk to the game.   What do people do for grills, etc for out of town games as far as grills and whatnot? I will be there with a couple friends but we don't have any tailgate gear or anything.  Can we show up with food to share?  

Check out the Houston Bills Backers Facebook page.  Many out of towners are coordinating (or trying to) grill sharing, food, and beverage.  You may find someone able to help you out ahead of time or find someone at the lot mentioned in the OP who will lend you some grill space.  

I am considering getting a party pack of fajita from El Tiempo for simplicity sake (they're available on Uber Eats too).  It comes with plates, napkins, cutlery, everything you need.  Also flirting with the idea of getting a $35 charcoal grill and picking up a Killen's ready cooked brisket from HEB, some bread, and sauce, and reheating.

These things are decent in a pinch.  https://www.amazon.com/slp/disposable-grills/f364vmk2ypr754p

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Check out the Houston Bills Backers Facebook page.  Many out of towners are coordinating (or trying to) grill sharing, food, and beverage.  You may find someone able to help you out ahead of time or find someone at the lot mentioned in the OP who will lend you some grill space.  

I am considering getting a party pack of fajita from El Tiempo for simplicity sake (they're available on Uber Eats too).  It comes with plates, napkins, cutlery, everything you need.  Also flirting with the idea of getting a $35 charcoal grill and picking up a Killen's ready cooked brisket from HEB, some bread, and sauce, and reheating.

These things are decent in a pinch.  https://www.amazon.com/slp/disposable-grills/f364vmk2ypr754p

Thanks for the info!

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

Is there a place people would recommend for real (non breaded) wings?

Pluckers is very hit or miss but when they're on point they are quite good.  For an authentic buffalo wing, that's the place to go.  Wait times are often in excess of an hour and during peak times, quality suffers. 

On the less conventional side, Hay Merchant smokes their wings (and half the time fries them afterward) which are also great when they're executing (PB&J are my fave there).  Its also a great beer bar with excellent food since its owned by a big time chef.  Dak n Bop (located in the Museum District) serves battered Korean style wings.  Sriracha lime and Buffalo hot are very good.  Fuego's on Washington Ave breads their wings but they are consistently well cooked and crunchy (I loathe rubbery skin). 

Houston is a top notch food city but wings is not something we're known for.  I would strongly encourage you to avoid wings on this trip and opt for something we do well.    

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

This sounds like an interesting blend of bars/restaurants and lot tailgating/grilling.  Unfortunately I can’t make it, but I’d love to see it!  If you are starting with a blank slate, you should be able to mold it into a mix that could satisfy (almost) everyone. Right? Yes, I’m referring to any future WNY venue, and I apologize for bringing that up here, but this whole thing sounds pretty awesome and I’m jealous.

I will have to experience this vicariously, so please keep it up!  

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Pluckers is very hit or miss but when they're on point they are quite good.  For an authentic buffalo wing, that's the place to go.  Wait times are often in excess of an hour and during peak times, quality suffers. 

On the less conventional side, Hay Merchant smokes their wings (and half the time fries them afterward) which are also great when they're executing (PB&J are my fave there).  Its also a great beer bar with excellent food since its owned by a big time chef.  Dak n Bop (located in the Museum District) serves battered Korean style wings.  Sriracha lime and Buffalo hot are very good.  Fuego's on Washington Ave breads their wings but they are consistently well cooked and crunchy (I loathe rubbery skin). 

Houston is a top notch food city but wings is not something we're known for.  I would strongly encourage you to avoid wings on this trip and opt for something we do well.    

Pluckers, fire in the hole are actually pretty good. When I go there I ask for extra sauce for my fries

2 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

Pluckers, fire in the hole are actually pretty good. When I go there I ask for extra sauce for my fries

Their sauces are tasty but its the wing cookery that is inconsistent.  They double fry them which I like, but I've had too many lukewarm/cold and soggy wings from Pluckers.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Their sauces are tasty but its the wing cookery that is inconsistent.  They double fry them which I like, but I've had too many lukewarm/cold and soggy wings from Pluckers.

I live near Austin and go to a location in Round Rock. I’ve yet to have any cold or like warm wings there. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

They have always closed the street for the party but it will be WAY more people than the last few times. I try to swing by those parties for an hour catch the atmosphere and then go get dinner and drinks. It’s just so crowded.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You all can't just marinate wings in hot sauce, throw them on the grill, then dunk in ranch dressing?  Shouldn't be too hard, I can even do that and I suck at cooking.

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You all can't just marinate wings in hot sauce, throw them on the grill, then dunk in ranch dressing?  Shouldn't be too hard, I can even do that and I suck at cooking.

I believe you could/should face at least some brief prison time for that. Probably some community service and 2-3 weekends with the nephew of @plenzmd1 to make the world a better place. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

ranch dressing?  Can someone call in a mod for some warning points?  Jesus, you not only suck at cooking, you suck at eating.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe you could/should face at least some brief prison time for that. Probably some community service and 2-3 weekends with the nephew of @plenzmd1 to make the world a better place. 

Yes, the world would be a better place if more people had ranch with their wings.  

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, the world would be a better place if more people had ranch with their wings.  

Ranch has it’s place, with homemade chips. Or even veggies. Get that stuff near wings and you are running risks. We will Dizzy Bat, then come after your arse!  (OK, You’ll probably be safe for a while, but we will eventually be relentless!) 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Don’t know what my nephew has to do with this. 

You are “the face” of the awesome wings. And they are awesome! But at some point, you need to actually DO. Is Emeril a great chef, or is he just selling toaster ovens on TV now? You have to own your identity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do I need a parking pass for this lot or is it 1st come 1st serve? It’s different than where we were last year correct?

No parking pass necessary.

Opens at 8 AM 

First come first serve.

$40.00 cost per car.

Yes ,it's definitely different.

Check the Houston Bills Backers Facebook Group several times a day for up to date information.

Oh...and...see you there.

• Like (+1) 3