NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

20 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I know I heard that Cleveland wants an "exceptional leader" at the HC spot. I don't think that's McDaniels. The crap I read about him during his time in Denver was lame. Something about Belichick's assistants who get HC jobs and think they can run the show just like Belichick does. McDaniels had a reputation for alienating people with the way he handled things. So... on second thought, go ahead Cleveland, hire that butt-munch.

Let’s not forget the way he screwed the Colts too. Definitely says something of his personality. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I agree only one that’s sort of worked out is O’Brien and Flores also looks like a damn good coach. 

Yeah, going all the way back to like, Mangini, none of his assistants have really flourished as an HC. O'Brien, yeah, but his personnel decisions this season are gonna have a real negative impact on their future. Flores looks like he has the team buying in. Patricia will probably get another year due to Stafford being out since like week five or whatever, but yeah, for the most part, his assistants don't do much if they get a shot at being a HC.

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Let’s not forget the way he screwed the Colts too. Definitely says something of his personality. 

Yup. I really thought that would sour other teams on wanting to bring him in but I suppose we don't know the whole story. I assume he probably texted them and said, "Nah, I'm good" because he seems like just the kind of dingleberry to do that, but maybe it was more amicable than that. Indy made out better with Reich anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think it was dooshy, but I also don't blame him.  He went from agreeing to take over a team with Andrew Luck at QB to taking the same team with Jacoby Brissett (or anyone else not named Andrew Luck).

I can't say I blame him for running away.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

And why are the New York Giants considered one of the top coaching jobs? Seems like they suck to me.

They have good, stable ownership, have won a SB in every decade going back to the 1980s, are one of the great franchises in league history ... the list goes on. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

And why are the New York Giants considered one of the top coaching jobs? Seems like they suck to me.

Young QB who's shown flashes, generational talent at RB, decent ownership, kingmaking kind of franchise.  If you're successful there they love you forever.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They have good, stable ownership, have won a SB in every decade going back to the 1980s, are one of the great franchises in league history ... the list goes on. 

Blah blah. They have history. Pretty sure the present should be the most important thing to a coach.

They suck now. Plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Young QB who's shown flashes, generational talent at RB, decent ownership, kingmaking kind of franchise.  If you're successful there they love you forever.

Pretty sure if you are successful anywhere they love you forever. Go win a Superbowl with any of the 32 franchises and you are automatically an elite coach.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Blah blah. They have history. Pretty sure the present should be the most important thing to a coach.

They suck now. Plain and simple.

It’s an attractive job. But a difficult one. 
Any coach stepping into a team with a promising rookie quarterback and a second year beast like Barkley it looks promising to add pieces to. Issue is Gettleman at GM and a very poor defense. But quarterback and running back are two solid foundation building pieces if a coach is sold Jones is the real deal. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Aside from stable ownership, you could say the same for the redskins . . . 

17 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Cleveland - Kitchens returns; it has only been a year

Jax - Doug is gone, how could he not be after firing the President of Operations.  New guy will want to bring in his own coach and GM.

NYG -  Shurmur is gone, the Mara's have seen enough

Dallas - Garret is gone

Washington - Doesn't matter, Snyder needs to be gone for them to win

Pittsburgh - Tomlin is fired.  He's not the guy for the team after Big Ben; Tomlin is in way over his head right now.

Tomlin worked miracles to get that team to 8 wins and in contention for a playoff spot. They were on their 3rd string QB and had many major injuries elsewhere on their offense. They have successfully rebuilt their defense to be one of the top 5 in the league (with many young pieces in place) and they have some pieces in place on offense (good QB in Big Ben if healthy, Connor and Ju Ju at the skill positions and a good O-line.) Granted the Steelers are not in a good position cap space wise and they don't have their top draft pick. But Tomlin should be safe no matter what happen there. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s an attractive job. But a difficult one. 
Any coach stepping into a team with a promising rookie quarterback and a second year beast like Barkley it looks promising to add pieces to. Issue is Gettleman at GM and a very poor defense. But quarterback and running back are two solid foundation building pieces if a coach is sold Jones is the real deal. 

Nothing is certain at QB for them. He could easily struggle in the future. Hest had plenty of struggles this year as well.

Barkley is great. It would suck to be paired with Gettleman. Seems like a below average opportunity to me. But I suppose any team that just fired their coach would not be a super great franchise.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty sure if you are successful anywhere they love you forever. Go win a Superbowl with any of the 32 franchises and you are automatically an elite coach.

aUtOmATicAlLy aN eLiTe cOAcH

9710465.jpg