Josh Allen leading the way on 3rd and 10+

Pro Football Reference Game Play Finder

This isn't a discussion about the obvious: What about the other downs and distances? Obviously given Allen's overall QB rating and completion percentage he is below average on the other downs and distances if he is one of the best on 3rd and 10+. We know what Allen's weaknesses are. This is just one stat I'm highlighting to show one of his strengths. 

You can sort through the linked table however you wish. The gist of it is this:

-Allen is converting for first downs on 3rd and 10+ at a rate of 33%.

-Allen has a Qb Rating of 110 on 3rd and 10+

-I calculated a league average of 24% factoring only starters or back ups who have played a majority of their teams games. 

-Sample size too small? Not sure. But Allen could throw his next 4 attempts for in-completions or short of the sticks and he would still be at 30% conversion rate and still leading the league in that category as one of only three QB's above 30% conversion rate. That makes me think the sample size is probably large enough for this season. His overall completion percentage is right on track with his whole season percentage but the rating is significantly better. Is that luck? Prevent? Either way, he's taking advantage of what the defense is giving him and making the right decisions and throws far more often than league average. 

-Only three QBs have a conversion rate of 30% or higher this year. Fitz, Dak and Allen. Fitz leads the league at 34% but has a 51 QB rating. Mahomes lead the league last year at 41% and Luck was second at 37%. 

-Only two QB's,  Mahomes and Prescott, have higher QB ratings than Allen's 110.8 on 3rd and 10+. We can make it 3 if we include Stafford with his 29 attempts 117 rating.

-MVP Lamar Jackson has a league low 24 such attempts (throwing out the back ups and injured starters) which probably isn't surprising considering their great run game.  He's only put up a 76 QB rating on his league low 24 attempts.

For a lot of us, Allen passes the eye test and I think some of that has to do with how he excel's on 3rd and 10+. It's been a long time since we've seen a QB that can convert a lot of these attempts AND still be efficient. Fitz was never afraid to let it rip on 3rd down but just like this season he didn't always make the best decisions or throws.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Interesting. My thought is that better offenses and QB's probably have smaller sample sizes because they aren't in 3rd and 10+ situations as often.

But it's nice to have a QB who doesn't check down to the RB in 3rd and long situations.

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Interesting. My thought is that better offenses and QB's probably have smaller sample sizes because they aren't in 3rd and 10+ situations as often.

But it's nice to have a QB who doesn't check down to the RB in 3rd and long situations.

Wouldn't result in many conversions.

But yeah, it would be better to not be known as the best QB at converting 3rd and very longs...

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But yeah, it would be better to not be known as the best QB at converting 3rd and very longs...

Nothing wrong with being the best actually. It's the attempts you have to watch out for. Best conversion rate and best rating while middle of the pack in attempts would be great. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What we had through the drought was QB's who check it down for 3 yards on 3rd and long, or Fitz who threw INT's on 3rd and long. Good to not be in that boat anymore.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

Certainly a factor. Checking out the top 4 scoring offenses from last year KC, NE, LARams and NO; Mahomes, Goff and Brees were around middle of the pack 13-18 in attempts and Brady was down in the bottom 3rd of the league at 23. This year, NE offense not nearly as good and Brady has the 3rd most attempts this season at 48. I think it also has a lot to do with style of play too for each individual team. This years top two scoring teams Baltimore and San Francisco have QBs that basically rank dead last in attempts when you weed out the non starters/injured starters. So that is a big difference from the year prior where the top offenses had guys ranked around the middle in 3rd and 10+ attempts.

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He is absolutely elite at this.

If you remove the last few games from the sample, the percentage will be even higher, and I think more indicative of his numbers compared to the rest of the league. Super-clutch. 

lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol

You are possibly the lowest information poster on this board, and that is saying something.

Through hundreds of posts I've seen you litter this board with, I have never seen you have the courage to put your true opinions and beliefs about the Bills on the line. Rather, you choose to belittle other posts and snip at minor inaccuracies that miss the greater picture.

I have a background in data science. So please, I ask of you, expand on your "lol" and we can have a true conversation. I want to see what the real "Mr WEO" is all about. Do you even have a connection to the Buffalo area? 

Just now, ToGoGo said:

You are possibly the lowest information poster on this board, and that is saying something.

Through hundreds of posts I've seen you litter this board with, I have never seen you have the courage to put your true opinions and beliefs about the Bills on the line. Rather, you choose to belittle other posts and snip at minor inaccuracies that miss the greater picture.

I have a background in data science. So please, I ask of you, expand on your "lol" and we can have a true conversation. I want to see what the real "Mr WEO" is all about. Do you even have a connection to the Buffalo area? 

Well, as you pointed out so scientifically above, the good news is that if I remove the past few lowest information posts from my sample, my overall information percentage will be higher....

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, as you pointed out so scientifically above, the good news is that if I remove the past few lowest information posts from my sample, my overall information percentage will be higher....

Again. Avoid any form of discussion. I see right through you. I hope the other members of this board do too. You are on my ignore list. 

14 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Again. Avoid any form of discussion. I see right through you. I hope the other members of this board do too. You are on my ignore list. 

Oh relax!  You just posted that, by removing values from a sample that lower the average%, the average % will go up. 

Yeah, a lot of us understood that concept without a background in data science.

What discussion were you hoping for?  I did a year of my training in Buffalo before returning to Rochester, where I have lived for 35 years.  

I've never understood the concept of the "ignore list".  It's bizarre---like you can't even be exposed to a certain posters post?  The mere sight of them will trigger something g inside you that is very uncomfortable.

Man, I would never ignore anybody----I would miss too many germs like the above!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure what the stats and sample sizes say, but one of the most frustrating things to me about that QB for the Pats has been his ability to convert 3rd and long.  Rodgers is another one.

I don't think having confidence in a QB's ability to convert 3rd and long is a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 1

I think its a great stat as far as Josh Allen goes.  Means he's gunning for the sticks instead of taking the checkdown completion  Hopefully next year he'll have less attempts at 3rd and 10+ because we'll be better at staying ahead of the schedule for a 1st down

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think its a great stat as far as Josh Allen goes.  Means he's gunning for the sticks instead of taking the checkdown completion  Hopefully next year he'll have less attempts at 3rd and 10+ because we'll be better at staying ahead of the schedule for a 1st down

THIS!!!!

Singletary into the A gap for a yard on first down. Singletary loses two on second down.
We still have a shot. 
First time since Bledsoe I legitimately believed this .

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Maybe? 

The thing is, because we just never do it, there have been times in recent games when they are giving Motor such a cushion and so little attention that he could probably run like Forest Gump.