Beyond Blue and Red: Dan Morgan presented by New Era Cap

Scott7975

Found this video posted to facebook recently.  Thought I would share.  Its about Dan Morgan.  Has like behind scenes of scouting.  Pretty cool I thought.  We don't typically get to see this part of the "game."

Constantly on the road.
Always watching film.
And doing whatever it takes to improve our organization.

Hit the road for a scouting trip with our Director of Player Personnel to watch how we find future Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He will be a future GM

It’s a good sign and very flattering when people want your staff. I just hope it’s not TOO soon, or too widespread. Keep as much continuity as we possibly can, but it’s inevitable if you keep doing well. Look at New England and Alabama. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember reading an article in the offseason about Morgan and how he’s considered a future GM, and he came to buffalo specifically to work with Beane, who is grooming him for that role. Joe Schoen is another guy who will be targeted - he seems to do a lot in Buffalo. Always right next to Beane. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Hope we dont lose Dan M. this off season.

Interestingly, he’s in the role (Director of Player Personnel) that Brian Gaine vacated when he went to Houston... Gaine has already been re-hired, so if Morgan leaves I assume Gaine will slide back into that role 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interestingly, he’s in the role (Director of Player Personnel) that Brian Gaine vacated when he went to Houston... Gaine has already been re-hired, so if Morgan leaves I assume Gaine will slide back into that role 

Excellent point, but I sure do love the idea of having BOTH! You can’t have too many bright people in the room. No salary cap there, so....make it tough to leave if he’s that good. (I know it’s not that simple, but if it’s in the gray area.....make it a tough choice.) 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Excellent point, but I sure do love the idea of having BOTH! You can’t have too many bright people in the room. No salary cap there, so....make it tough to leave if he’s that good. (I know it’s not that simple, but if it’s in the gray area.....make it a tough choice.) 

I think he would only leave for a GM opportunity ... and he should, unless it’s a bad situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he would only leave for a GM opportunity ... and he should, unless it’s a bad situation. 

A good GM will have a difficult time overcoming a bad owner. We know who those teams are. 

Did some research on Jeffrey McCulloch LB/Edge from Texas....

If I had to guess that’s who Dan and Matthew McConaughey were talking about. McConaughey asks “who you looking at?” Then they go into how fast this LB is, fast as a safety. Then Dan says “he’s a big guy”..... I only suspect they were talking about Jeffrey McCulloch. 6’4” 250 and plays all over the field, sideline to sideline. Seems like a perfect fit for Lorax replacement.

14 hours ago, NC Book said:

My guess is the tall LB from Texas that DM was chatting with Matthew Mcconaughey about, would be Jeffrey McCulloch, in case anyone was wondering.

Haha I researched their conversation and watched a bunch of film on this dude. Pretty decent player. Tons of fire and plays everywhere 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, wppete said:

Hope we dont lose Dan M. this off season.

Crazy as it sounds we're pretty loaded with young front office people.

If Morgan goes Gaine slides back up. Gaine left to be Houston's GM and Morgan filled his spot. Gaine came back after that scandal in Houston. So he'll likely move back into that role if Morgan left.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

My favorite part was Brandon Beane basically telling the guys that when they're in Orchard Park, and their kids have events, whether it be sports games, or plays, or whatever - that he EXPECTS them to attend their kids events.

Not, "I hope you can make it", or "we'll try to let you go". It was "I expect you to go". As a parent that works in a business where it's hard to just step away for a couple hours, and having an employer that makes it a point for their people to still be able to go, it's pretty awesome.

This goes for every business - if your people understand that you care, and that you want them to be able to attend these things with their families, they'll run through a brick wall for you. I love the management structure and culture that they have built at OBD.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 2