Roster needs going forward and how they'll be filled: a style question

As I see it, this team has four glaring needs in the following order:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

4) A RB to pair with Motor. Need more size and youth at this position.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Agree with the needs analysis.  From a cap view the DE and WR will be most expensive long term so best to find early in the draft.  Also this draft is loaded at WR again.  And OBD might find a  Lorenzo replacement in draft that offers pass rush capability with early down OLB versatility. 

RT and RB can be had at an affordable price on FA market or on 2nd or 3rd day of draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’d go all in on Cooper to wrap up WR.  We need production right away, no growing pains.

RT...either way will work, more likely to fill the need via FA though, I think.  We aren’t drafting high and we need to make sure that position is solidified.

DE...likely have to draft, unless you move Edmunds to the outside and use his rush skills more. That would allow you to get a run stuffer which you can do in the draft.

RB...either or. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As I see it, this team has four glaring needs in the following order:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

4) A RB to pair with Motor. Need more size and youth at this position.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’d go all in on Cooper to wrap up WR.  We need production right away, no growing pains.

RT...either way will work, more likely to fill the need via FA though, I think.  We aren’t drafting high and we need to make sure that position is solidified.

DE...likely have to draft, unless you move Edmunds to the outside and use his rush skills more. That would allow you to get a run stuffer which you can do in the draft.

RB...either or. 

Look at youse two on the same page.  And I agree with the bofe of you.

• Like (+1) 1

Other than Schoebel being insulted to be compared to Denney, I'd agree with the positions.  I think the WR, RT and DE can be pursued both in Fa and the draft. Rt more though the draft, as O linemen are at a premium in the NFL so teams tend to hold on to guys that are the caliber we'd look for.  A big RB you can find in lower rounds in the draft.

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I'm looking at AJ Green if he's available. 

Exactly the answer at WR.

I would want an exhaustive opinion from the medical staff before going there.  The guy is older and prone to injury.

• Like (+1) 2

I hope to be eating my words......  But they are not paying for a top-tier WR & I'd question why one would want to sign here seeing the offensive philosophy of the team.

Top WR's are usually drafted & grow with the team that drafted them.

Just think all those Bills fans who excuse the offense now explaining that the rookie (if we draft one) is 1-2 years away & the process is now into year 5 or 6....... ?

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I hope to be eating my words......  But they are not paying for a top-tier WR & I'd question why one would want to sign here seeing the offensive philosophy of the team.

Just think all those Bills fans who excuse the offense now explaining that the rookie (if we draft one) is 1-2 years away & the process is now into year 5 or 6....... ?

What a miserable excuse for a supposed fan.

• Like (+1) 6

Please send your suggestions by emailing BillsPrivacy@bills.nfl.net, or via mail at: Buffalo Bills, LLC, One Bills Drive, Orchard Park, NY 14127.

Such knowledge in these I know better/GM for a day threads shouldn't go to waste.

• Haha (+1) 1

There is a plethora of WR's in this upcoming draft. The two that I am leaning towards are Michael Pittman Jr. from USC and Chase Claypool from Notre Dame. I love all the Alabama guys and Higgins, but I believe all of them will be off of the board by the time we get our 1st pick. Both know how to use their size to shield off defenders, are 6'4" 220lbs+, and excellent hands catchers. 

At RB I don't think Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin will be a viable option either as I expect him to go top 15. A guy I REALLY like who is the big type of RB we need is AJ Dillon from BC. He has kind of flown under the radar because he has played on some really bad teams, but the guy runs with ferocity and has an extra gear to him for a big guy. He's 6'0" and 250lbs, but is in good shape for his size kind of like Henry. There is a run at the 1:00 mark of the video that will make you say "WOW". 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

What a miserable excuse for a supposed fan.

So tell me oldmanfan is there a wr they can sign & reasons why they want to play in Buffalo with a team that never throws for 300 yards?  

And we know if a wr is drafted, we'll know that there is a learning curve & they can't be a star out of the gate. 

Should I expect more?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

So tell me oldmanfan is there a wr they can sign & reasons why they want to play in Buffalo with a team that never throws for 300 yards?  

And we know if a wr is drafted, we'll know that there is a learning curve & they can't be a star out of the gate. 

Should I expect more?

The Bills have 90 million in cap space, are going to the playoffs,  have a dynamic young QB, and a coach that is well respected by the players.  Last offseason they knew they needed to give Allen help, and what did they do?  Befed up the lines in free agency, and added Brown and Beasley in free agency, both of whom are playing well.  And you think they can't target and acquire the FAs they want?  They just did last year.

Your obsession with this 300 yard nonsense is pathologic, and as I have said before you really need help. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I'm looking at AJ Green if he's available. 

Exactly the answer at WR.

WR is truly the top need for this team this off season. The 2020 class has more "potentially" good WRs than we have seen in a long time and I am all in on taking one in the top two rounds and several overall. However, "potential" is all you are getting from the draft. Outside of a true top 5 pick talent, WR may be as tough to predict as QB in regard to how well he may do in the NFL.

I think the Bills should also address WR through free agency, or a trade, as well as the draft. Green is great when he is available - but, he has missed 13 games in the last 3 years and will be 32 going into next season. I would prefer they not choose someone who has had recent injury problems and hope they do not have more. This is a position they have to hit on for this offense to get better. The options may be limited in free agency, so, maybe they can find a willing trade partner.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think Beane would have no problem paying for a top WR. He did, in fact, consider Antonio Brown and I don't think it was the simply the money that stopped him from pursining it any further.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Should I expect more?

so many young WRs move around, and many via trade

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Should I expect more?

You are a one trick pony. You are less interested in having legitimate football discussions than you are in using every one of your posts to wage your ridiculous crusade.