Armchair QB Whisperers beware! Pros see Allen differently.

Chandler#81

I'm confident Allen is our future qb. He's learning to be a pocket passer and not relying on his legs (debatable if this is good or not). The o line has been suspect at times and he has 2 dependable recievers. I have no doubt he will only improve and weapons will be added next season 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

How many attempts did he have?

9. He was averaging like 3 yards per attempt and had taken a sack.

if that’s not playing at your basement for a large chunk of a game, what is? 

If you saw Mitch Trubisky have that almost half, like he has at least once this year, you wouldn’t say he has played fine.

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

:doh:

Yes or no. Josh Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and a sack taken prior to the 33 second mark in the half?

4 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Does not matter.  It does not fit the narrative.  

Of course it matters. Need to complete passes to extend drives and throw more passes. You act like 9 attempts is a defense. It’s more of an indictment.

Josh had a bad Trubisky-esque half up until the TD drive. It’s okay to admit. You won’t burst into flames for blasphemy.

Edited by BringBackOrton

10 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

9. He was averaging like 3 yards per attempt and had taken a sack.

if that’s not playing at your basement for a large chunk of a game, what is? 

If you saw Mitch Trubisky have that almost half, like he has at least once this year, you wouldn’t say he has played fine.

Yes or no. Josh Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and a sack taken prior to the 33 second mark in the half?

Of course it matters. Need to complete passes to extend drives and throw more passes. You act like 9 attempts is a defense. It’s more of an indictment.

Josh had a bad Trubisky-esque half up until the TD drive. It’s okay to admit. You won’t burst into flames for blasphemy.

Okay pal, here it is.  6 for 13, 62 yards.  Against the number one defense in the NFL and on the road.  Tied game at the half.  He did a good job.  And the stats you cited were WRONG.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Okay pal, here it is.  6 for 13, 62 yards.  Against the number one defense in the NFL and on the road.  Tied game at the half.  He did a good job.  

Sure, he had a really good drive at the end of the half. Prior to that drive he was horrific. It’s okay for it to be both.

Also, your stats are wrong. Prior to the 33 second mark in the half, Allen had 3 complete passes.

Edited by BringBackOrton

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sure, he had a really good drive at the end of the half. Prior to that drive he was horrific. It’s okay for it to be both.

Drop back and punt.  You are changing your premise.  The OC calls the plays.  You complain that he had 9 attempts.  Game plan was to run the ball because the chances were better for success since NE has a heck of a pass defense.  Cincinnati and others had success running against them.  Daboll changed script and went to the pass.  Allen played well in the final drive going 3 for 5 43 yards also a scramble out of the shotgun for 16. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Drop back and punt.  You are changing your premise.  The OC calls the plays.  You complain that he had 9 attempts.  Game plan was to run the ball because the chances were better for success since NE has a heck of a pass defense.  Cincinnati and others had success running against them.  Daboll changed script and went to the pass.  Allen played well in the final drive going 3 for 5 43 yards also a scramble out of the shotgun for 16. 

Not changing the premise. The premise was that Allen can be bad for large chunks of games. Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and sack for the first 14 minutes and 27 seconds of the Pats game. That’s bad for a lot of time.

admit it.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If yesterday was Josh's very low basement, what do you call Week 4?

Just seen this.

Week 4 Allen was very poor and yesterday as the game went on he was better than that time against the patriots, and he threw no picks. I agreed in another post that there is some progress in regards to that. On certain plays we can see the 'ceiling' point, usually really tough throws and moments like the TD to brown when he gets hit. Great plays.

I also agree with Allen's own words that he almost needed to have a game like week 4, to make those mistakes and learn. 

You know what tho, week 4 was very bad but something about those picks dont bother me personally as much as early in yesterday's game.

Problem I've got, the 'basement' I'm mentioning, reared it's head again (from the first pats game) yesterday..

Its when he looks like he cannot play the position for a few series. You know that thing that tends to happen with him when he is way off, missing short throws to an open Beasley and low to knox. Before you know it (playcalling probably doesn't help Hugely) the one throw is incomplete and we are 3 and out. Its JUST HOW OFF HE IS HERE. 

When people post here 'come on josh', '' you got to make that play josh', 'Geez josh, that's a simple nfl throw'..that is his basement, it just rears its head from time to time and those posters are RIGHT. 

Edited by london_bills

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

For those of us old enough to recall how Farve started out,(and i am not old, some of you  got me by 25 years? ) this is kind of what Josh is like right now. Josh misses some very easy throws.  Josh makes some throws every game that leave us saying ‘why can’t he do that every time’. Fact is, he will never do it every time. We just need the frequency to become more, which it is. Those two deep throws were big yesterday. That’s an entirely different aspect opposing D’s are going to have to consider now. Josh getting the deep ball touch back for playoffs could be big.

People also forget that for as long as Favre took to develop he had 4 years at a similarly small school in Southern Miss, where Allen had 2 in Wyoming. This is as raw a prospect as the Bills have drafted since Gene Bradley. Allen is the starting quarterback of the Bills' second playoff team in a decade, where nominally he might be prepping for a bowl game. In terms of meaningful development snaps, he wasn't getting a lot of those at Wyoming or even during last year's cap clear with no OL.

If people stop being emotional about ZOMG he missed the open guy those couple times (which EVERY QB does every game) it's actually quite remarkable that someone with almost no real coaching and very little experience prior to the NFL level steps in and goes 15-11 in his first 2 years as an NFL starter, on a rebuilding, non-powerhouse of a team. The improvement is real, and we probably won't even know how good Josh Allen really is until year 5 or year 6.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

I really dont see what the shame is in admitting Allen struggled this game.  MOST qbs do?

Lets not act like the bills have an all start team around Allen.  We have Brown, Bease, and a collection of Jags at WR.....we didnt even bother to spell Singletary with Gore in this game.....and our starting TE in Knox is very young.

It is my hope that we make a hard court press of improving the offensive talent of  this team in the offseason....guys that actually make plays when they get the ball.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Im just going to leave this right here.   This is and objective review of Allen by the same national media.  (with clips in link) 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/22/josh-allen-was-terrible-great-afc-title-game-preview-leftover-patriots-thoughts/amp/

a) national media

b) boston.cbslocal.com

Pick one.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Not changing the premise. The premise was that Allen can be bad for large chunks of games. Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and sack for the first 14 minutes and 27 seconds of the Pats game. That’s bad for a lot of time.

admit it.

Again you are wrong.  The first quarter stats are:  Bills 10 plays,   7 runs 26 yards, 3 pass attempts (1 for 3) 14 yards with time of possession 6:03.  Admit it, you are have it wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really dont see what the shame is in admitting Allen struggled this game.  MOST qbs do?

Lets not act like the bills have an all start team around Allen.  We have Brown, Bease, and a collection of Jags at WR.....we didnt even bother to spell Singletary with Gore in this game.....and our starting TE in Knox is very young.

It is my hope that we make a hard court press of improving the offensive talent of  this team in the offseason....guys that actually make plays when they get the ball.

I believe their is a difference for seeing spots where Allen struggles and spots where he excelled. Looks at how he is developing and tell me he hasn’t improved from last year. 
I know from your many posts that you are. It someone calling for Josh’s head but you are a ‘slanted homer’ realist, like myself. There are some posters here who want to see Josh fail because it makes them look like they know something more about football than the people who drafted him. Which no one on here does unless  Beane or another GM or NFL caliber talent evaluator is actually posting here. I highly doubt that. Me I think our FO and coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt for now. The Bills will probably finish 10-6 by their choosing . They will be a tough out for Houston and could very well beat Houston. If Josh starts hitting that deep pass 2-3 times a game and then looks like he has working the 0-20 routes, this offense will finally be able to play complimentary football to the D. That will be something to behold. Can you imagine this D playing with a 14-21 point lead in the fourth quarter? And Daboll and McDermott letting Josh and the O keeping playing aggressively? 

• Like (+1) 1